“Mountain Retreat” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Welch Mountain Chalet Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Thornton
Welch Mountain Chalet Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Thornton B&B and Inns
Scottdale
“Mountain Retreat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

My wife and I just spent 2 nights of our honeymoon here. It is absolutely amazing! John greeted us like family and treated us that way until we said our goodbyes. The entire ground level of their house(2 bedrooms, a large bath and a common room) is the B&B with the upper floor being their own part of the house. It is a very private setup with the perfect combination of being alone in the mountains but also having someone there to answer questions and give tips on local activities. Then there's the breakfast, I don't think I've ever eaten food as good as their homemade, straight from the garden, fresh fruits and veggies. Along with fresh squeezed juices, homemade syrup, and apple butter; we couldn't have asked for more. The bed is very comfortable with plenty of blankets to keep you warm on cool nights, along with a gas burning faux log wood stove. Behind the house is a trail that intersects the Welch-Dickey Mt trail that leads to beautiful views and literally breathtaking summits. Back into town there are great restaurants and a local grocery store that has everything you need for a late night snack. There's also a river with an outfitting company for kayaking, canoeing and tubing. Lastly there's a young German shepherd, Klaus, living here that is adorable and I wish we could've taken home with us.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

John and Mary have a beautiful department in the first floor of their house.
Everything is new and clean. Breakfast was out of this world, the welcome cookies I can describe them. At night he received us with a nice bonfire, wine and a selection of cheese.
My 6 year old daughter enjoyed collecting eggs and play with a well trained Sherman Sheppard named Klaus.
If we'll be in the area, definitely we' ll stay there.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dover, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

I would recommend the Welch Mountain Chalet Bed and Breakfast wholeheartedly. My husband and I spent one night there this weekend and absolutely loved it. The hosts, John and Mary, were so kind and informative, the room was rustic and beautiful, and our favorite part was the delicious breakfast. I definitely recommend the sausage and mushroom strata...it was sooo good!! The best part was waking up and looking out our window to see that it had snowed overnight. It was a beautiful sight.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dover, New Hampshire, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here over a weekend in August. The home - absolutely beautiful, and the rooms were immaculate but cozy. If you're looking for a nice, quiet stay in a beautiful setting this is the place. The breakfasts are unbelievably good and we ate our fill every time (and got to wrap leftovers in foil to take with us so we'd have snacks during our daytime activities!). Loved the animals and eating breakfast while the hummingbirds flew all around us was so lovely. Loved every minute we stayed there, and we're already looking forward to going back! I highly recommend the Welch Mountain Chalet.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

We recently spent two nights here and could have easily spent more! John and Mary made us feel right at home and spoiled us with amazing breakfasts and hospitality. The home is tucked away in a wooded area and has a beautiful garden out front. Dining on the deck with Klaus' company and watching the hummingbirds will be a cherished memory of our stay. Our room was clean and comfortable. John's suggestions for dinner and activities and area attractions were excellent. If you are up for it, hike the Welch-dickey loop which is accessible from this property, it will take your breath away. We would absolutely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Rockaway, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013

We went up a few weeks ago to ride at Waterville Valley Ski Resort. This cozy B&B was a comfortable 10 minute drive from the mountain. Upon meeting John and Mary we were instantly made to feel at home. They showed us the amenities and asked us what we would like to eat for breakfast.
As people who don't normally eat much more than coffee and a bagel for breakfast, we were overwhelmed by the amazing bounty that greeted us each day. The food was incredibly prepared and delicious! We saved what we could to use as ski lift snacks. Very useful!
The space was clean, warm, and inviting. And John and Mary were onhand in their part of the house whenever we needed them. However, it still felt as if we had the place to ourselves. Very comfortable.
Highly recommended place to stay if you're up in the area!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
West Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2012

Trip advisor welch mountain chalet
I stayed at during the week of September 9th through the13th.  I could have stayed At the Waterville valley conference and resort center, however, this option is only fiv miles down the road and I am glad I chose the welch mountain chalet , for my week long stay.  As you might be able to tell from my photos, this place has a lot of charm, from the manicured gardens, to the hen house , and even the workshop, ( full of interesting looking projects). The is a dog, who lives here, an old g,an shepherd,who goes by the name of  "Beckett", who undoubtedly has some psychic abilities. Allow me to elaborate... As I was in class all day , until about 930 pat night, it was very dark upon my return.  For whatever reason,the first night I returned back, the motion sensor light did not turn on, and it was pitch black. I was actually scared to get out of my car.  I saw a pair of yellow eyes slowly approaching my car , and as I fumbled to turn on my iPhone flashlight, I noticed Beckett had come over to my side passenger door anda sat down, almost said to say "miss, I will now escort you to your room"... Beckett proceeded to grace me all week with this favor, and I felt very taken car of.  Did I mention that he actually walked me to my room every night?

Every morning,I was greeted in the common room with a wonderful variety of breakfast foods. The first morning was lobster omelets, which were outrageous.  I also had an amazing German pancake with apples, was introduced to ratatouille with eggs,  and a variety of delicious baked goodies.  You can tell they are both foodies, as they even presented me with homemade orange juice, as well as homemade preserves, and fruit fresh from their garden.  John and Mary were kind enough to give me some foil , to bring some goodies( muffins, banana bread) with  me,throughout the day.  When John asked me which was my favorite, I honestly really couldn't answer, because they were all equally delicious! also, another nice touch is the goodies left in my room every day (cookies, muffins).

The fridge is well stocked with beer/wine, as well as coffee creamers.  An additional luxury was the keurig in my room, which I was grateful for, with some late nights studying all week.  My bed was very comfortable, and although I didn't use it,there was a t.v. In my room.  What I did use and appreciate, is the wifi , which works especially well , If you are a Mac lover, like me.    john and Mary are very accommodating, and are good at pointing out places of interest, and good hiking spots.  They have a lovely little common area, which has shelves holding last seasons harvest, all of which have been canned, and preserved.  There is a small tv, piano, along with a host of board games in this area.  You can either eat your breakfast, and watch the morning news out here, or take it back into your bedroom with you.  The bathroom is shared, and comes fully stocked , with whatever supplies you may have forgotten, as well as a hair dryer.  I have to say honestly, that this is probably the cleanest B &b that I have ever stayed in.  There is a wonderful smell of cedar that permeates the place, and adds to the charm.

If you love quaint and charming, as well as an experience that will satisfy your inner foodie, then give this place a try.  Not only is the Waterville valley area, and white mountain national forest area gorgeous, you will not be disappointed with a stay here!

Room Tip: There are only three rooms here, I have seen them, and they are all equally charming