“Fantastic break for the money”

Summer Village Hotel
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Marmari
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I can honestly say I wasn't expecting much considering the low price for All inclusive.

But how wrong could I be. It is a lovely, clean and friendly hotel. There is a beautiful beach 10 mins walk away.

It is light all inclusive which means you only get beer, wine, ouzo and soft drinks for free.
If you are looking for more than this then I can honestly say what exactly do you want for the money ?? Blood !!

The food is freshly prepared and all tasty. Not a huge selection of dishes but I am a fussy eater and always found something delicious.

Vicky, Christos and their family are lovely hosts. A friendly team that work very hard around the clock. The bar staff are really friendly nice guys. Restaurant staff ensure the food is replenished as soon as running low. Rooms cleaned every day with fresh towels.

They had a live band one night we were there and it was a brilliant night.

A really good mix of people at the resort. Young to old, friends, couples and families. I went with a friend and I will be back to visit again with my husband.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank AnotherTeresa
There are newer reviews for Summer Village Hotel

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Booked this hotel last minute for a week in the sunshine. Arrived Saturday 5th July for a week, to a very friendly welcome. As we arrived late evening Christos (owner) explained that we had missed dinner that evening, but that we could use our all inclusive up to our departure as this was also later in the day. I think that this was extremely generous and not something that you would find in larger chain establishments. We stayed in a room at the back of the hotel which was quiet and had a lovely view to the fields and mountains. The hotel is in a quiet area with only a few other hotels and tavernas - which suited us perfectly. To walk into Marmari itself only took around 15 minutes and likewise the beach is only 10 minutes on foot.

Rooms are basic but spotlessly clean and provide everything required (especially considering most people dont go on holiday to sit in the room). We did pay for the air conditioning at €5 a day but this was well worth it and made it very pleasant when returning to the room in the evenings.

Food was excellent and always plentiful. At breakfast there was a variety of cereals, breads, fruits etc along with hot options of beans, eggs and bacon/sausages on different days. Lunch and dinner offered varies hot meat/fish options as well as a vast choice of salads, breads, pasta etc. The available drinks in the restaurant are all self service so no waiting about to be served.

Drinks from the bar were always served quickly and efficiently and there was never really any major queing. The all inclusive drinks include soft drinks, wine, beer and ouzo. Other drinks available to buy if you wish.

The onsite supermarket is open from 9am until 10pm and is very well stocked and reasonably priced. All of the staff that we met during our stay were extremely polite, always smiling and saying hello.

I would have no hesitation in recommedning this hotel to anyway who wants a relaxing holiday with great staff, great food and a nice location. We are already looking to book for September/October this year.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Alan F
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Just back with my 2 teenagers and one of there pals , my husband and mother , we all had a lovely time , my son was pretty bored typical 15 yr old , girls didnt care much for the food , but we thought it was lovely ,

breakfast was pretty healthy , all the usual greek stuff , plus one day , bacon eggs etc,
the adults all found the food nice , staff lovely , was a bit off that u could get wine with ur brekkie but not a glass of coke lol , which alot took full advantage off ,
lunch and dinner were fine , i would avoid the fish dishes , just not to sure in that heat for it ,
if u get hungry after they do pizza for 8 euro ,after hours.

all inclusive . well if u drink spirits u need to pay 4 euros with ur mixer , alot the measure will take ur feet away , wine, ouzo, beer and all coffee and teas are free at the bar , so if u dont drink ur fine

we got a bus at the top of the road into kos town 4 euro return ,lovely place plenty shops etc , had a lovely meal there , but pack factor duffle coat HOT !!! ,

lovely restaurant as u come out the hotel turn towards the beach , bottom of the street (not the 1st one) mthyos i think its called , good cocktails and food , if u need out ,

this place would not be for u , if u were looking to party , it would if u were lookin to chill .
possibly a base for kos , altho a taxi wi cost u 25 euro in and the same back

found it relaxing , but i would have been very bored here for 2 weeks , i would go back if they had more entertainment ,

so if u want a chilled holiday and within staggering distance to your room your sorted lol

my advice is if u book a bus to ur hotel and u are stayin here or the next town , just jump in a taxi save yourself the hassle of a million stops after a long flight , 20 euros ,

and make damn sure u take morrisons mossie spray !!!

enjoy :)

Room Tip: we stayed at the back away from the pool as u can use that anytime day or nite , we did the 1st nigh...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank lorrie101
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We booked our holiday a couple of weeks before we were due to travel. For around £350 per adult for flight/accomodation and all inclusive meals and drinks for a week in July we weren't expecting luxury. It was very clear what was included in the all inclusive package food/drinks/entertainment wise. I travelled with my 19 yr old daughter and we wanted a relaxing week. When we arrived we were told along with a few other guests that the hotel was overbooked but we were being moved to another hotel for 2 nights. The hotel we were moved to was basic but fine, nice pool , nice people, nice food. We were taken back to summer village on the Tuesday and we were given an upgraded room, recently furbished, modern, good size. Plenty of food choices, lots of salads, bread, 2 meat dishes, pasta and/or rice, fish or veggy option and always some fruit and veg on offer. The wine/beer /soft drinks weren't the best but were on a par with any other 3 star all inclusive hotel. The holiday was such a bargain we didn't mind forking out for the odd frozen cocktail or 2 on an evening. The location was perfect for us, its 25 years since I was last in Kos and I expected it to be built up, I know some areas are but Marmari isn't, there are other hotels nearby and a taverna and a bar (drinks only) nearby and the beach is a 10 minute walk away along basic roads but that was all part of the charm. It felt like we were in a foreign country, not that someone was trying to make a little England abroad. We visited Kos town (still as beautiful as 25 years ago) and Zia for the sunset - worth a trip. There were a few children there who seemed perfectly happy with the facilities on offer, swings, table tennis, table football, internet and of course the pool which allows inflatables, but never felt overcrowded. The worst part of it was the insects, particularly the grasshoppers & Mosquitos however the hotel has screen doors on the patio doors and the bathroom windows and there is little else they can do to stop mother nature! I'd forgotten how lovely the Greek people are, the hotel staff were so hard working and so friendly, the cleaners and the gardeners included. It's a lovely hotel, in a lovely unspoilt location - and it also has the lovely, ever helpful Irene on reception to top it off. Please don't change too much Marmari, we hope to be back sometime.

Room Tip: We were told ground floor rooms are coooler so less need for A/c
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Tracya1964
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Overall OK, a definite mixture of good and bad....

Rooms: Basic but reasonably clean. Good views from the balcony. Beds not overly comfortable and ask for soft pillows or you will sleep on a breeze block! The only thing I would say is if you have children, ask to ensure that you are not put around the bar. People stay up very late and it can get noisy.

All Inclusive: Breakfast was a range of pastries, bread for toast, eggs cooked a different way every day and a different addition on a rotation basis, i.e. bacon or sausages or beans...don't expect a full English! Tinned fruit and yoghurts as well. Lunch was probably the most samey, salads which were always fresh and a hot option. Dinner was OK, again salads and a couple of hot options. My only concern was that the dishes were all open and there were a lot of flies etc., but to be honest this is not peculiar to Summer Village, it is the same anywhere that isnt waiter service so just be careful. Drinks: beer was apparently watery (I didn't drink it), wine was not good, and I don't drink Ouzo so I just stuck to (very sugary!) lemonade or water and bought cocktails in the evening which were around 3euros each.

Pool: Gorgeous, especially at night when it changes colour and there is also a baby pool which is great just to sit in. Sadly quite a few of the sunbeds were broken around the pool but other than that it looked lovely and was very clean.

Entertainment: There isn't any. There is a poolside bar which is open for as long as needed, and they play music or have the TV on for the football. Sometimes the music is too loud but this is not the type of place to go on holiday if you are looking for something lively. This is really a "sit round the pool and do nothing type of holiday".

Staff: Faultless. Excellent customer service and lovely people, feel quite bad about some of th negative things I am putting as they were all lovely, from the waitresses to cleaners, Manager and desk staff.

Area: Honestly, there is not a lot to do. The beach is about 10 minutes away but you have to hire a car (around 35eros per day, bikes are less) to really do anything. There is nothing else within walking distance. Kos town is lovely, we went up to Zia which is up a mountain and had lunch in a restaurant where you can see across the island. Kos is not overly commercial and is generally cheaper than other Greek islands but you pay the price as there is a lot less to do. If you are simply looking for a holiday to sit by the pool, then you will be fine. Go and see the Hippocrates Tree in Kos and the fortress.

Airport: We flew with Ryan Air. Firstly, it cost an additional £70 each to take two suitcases. Then we had to pay for allocated seating (total of £90). The flight out from Stansted was fine but the flight back from Kos airport was ridiculous. It is very small, and was packed with no real organisation. There is no priority queue for Ryan Air so don't buy it. There is no real queue to get on the plane so it is a bit of a bun fight, especially if you have children. Eat beforehand as the queue to eat when there are so many people at the airport is a joke.

Overall, I would go back to Kos but maybe find somewhere further towards town. It is a nice place and the people are lovely. We spent around 400 euros in total so it was worth it going All Inclusive. The place is very pretty but it is best suited for people who just want to lay by the pool and not do much. Don't expect too much. It is what I would expect for the money we paid, no more and no less....

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Victoria M
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We booked a ten night stay at the Summer Village in June this year but only managed 3 nights before moving to another hotel. Reasons as follows:
* No entertainment, nothing to do. A swing for kids, thats it.
* Located middle of nowhere & no place to walk to except the beach which is along a skanky road.
* Loads of bugs - cockroaches, flying ants, centipedes 4 inches long
* Beer my husband couldnt drink, red & white wine the same, Cheap tinny tasting cola & only spirit on offer in AI was ouzo.
* Extra charge for Air conditioning
* Food choice very small. No yoghurt, only fruit was unripe apricots one day then watermelon next. Salad selection good but the same each day.
Cheap place - you get what you pay for. You have to put your right foot in the shower when you sit on the toilet. The shower curtain sticks to your skin when showering, No bath. Awful. Matresses looked new but they are very very hard. Our child had a put me up bed which was rusty and full of bugs. Never again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Helen G
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Just got back from a wonderful week at the Summer Village Hotel. Very quite, excellent location, fantastic food, gorgeous pool which I believe is brand new, no pressure to join in and play silly games (no animation team which for me was a positive). The beach is about a 10 minute walk away and you can hire a couple of sunbeds and umbrella for 6 euro for the day or do what I did some days and just throw a towel on the sand, it can get very windy though so expect to get covered in sand! The pool is lovely to relax by too, very quiet and plenty of sunbeds which I have to say are a bit hard and uncomfortable but I got used to them!
The all inclusive was pretty typical AI buffet style - breakfast of eggs either boiled, scrambled or fried, beans, frankfurters or a kind of bacon substitute, cereals, bread, pastries, ham, cheese, fruit, salad, jams, honey, Greek yoghurt. Lunch was a huge selection of salads, meat and fish dishes, pasta, rice, bread, feta cheese, watermelon and the same for dinner with the addition of chips and 2 puddings every night. Wine, beer, soft and hot drinks are on tap to help yourself at mealtimes and they are available from the pool bar between10.30 and 22.30. I have to say the food was great - always plenty of it, hot and filled up very quickly if anything ran out and the staff work incredibly hard and neither of them had a day off in the 7 days that I was there. Also I arrived late on my first day and was allowed to use the AI up until the minute I left on my last day (22.30)
The rooms and grounds are so clean and well looked after, my sheets and towels were changed every day and there is a Gardner/handyman who looks after the grounds and always seems to be doing something! Watch out for the water sprayers though, I got caught a few times by them and the water is a bit smelly! The rooms are basic but have everything you need including a hair dryer and fridge and very very comfy beds! Air con is an extra 5 euro a day but I didn't actually bother with it as was lucky enough to have an upstairs room at the back so kept my patio door open - beware the mozzies though and keep your mosquito screen pulled across, I got bitten a lot but that was hardly the hotels fault, just take plenty of repellant spray. Oh and also you may be woken up by the cockerel from the farm next door who can get a bit frisky!! The bathrooms are also basic and don't leave anything on the floor when you use the shower as it will flood! The showers are like a sort of mixer tap halfway up the wall like you'd have on the end of a bath but easy enough to use once I got the hang of it!
You can book trips through reception although I didn't do any as just wanted to relax so I can't comment on that. There's not much to do around the hotel itself but Kos Town is only a short bus ride away if you want bars, clubs, restaurants etc.
All in all I had a fantastic and relaxing week which was exactly what I was looking for, I travelled alone and always felt completely safe. It was amazing value for money, clean, friendly and I definitely never went hungry! There was a mixture of couples, families and friends (think I was the only single) and lots of different nationalities so I'd say this hotel would be suitable for anyone! I will definitely be going back!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank FlipFlop175
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marmari
Roselands Hotel Bungalows
Sandy Beach Hotel & Family Suites
Mariliza Beach Bungalows
Mariliza Beach Bungalows
#6 of 15 in Marmari

Been to Summer Village Hotel? Share your experiences!