“A perfect family holiday (for us)”

Holiday Village Kos by Atlantica
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Marmari
Rotherham, United Kingdom
“A perfect family holiday (for us)”
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

So, what do you need to know if you are thinking of going to HV Kos.

HOTEL
Spot on! I know you don't get a choice really but newly refurbished rooms with partition door are fab ... Privacy for mummy and daddy... Woo hoo! Clean, safe and quiet. Air con and clean towels as would be expected. We had two big new tv's in our room showing 'tiny pop' kids channel in English for young 'uns....
Nice balcony but people were getting insect bites so didn't really sit out. Pre-book a late check out room as it is much cheaper than on resort.
The hotel has 4 pools including a splash pool with slides for the kids and an activity pool with music, quizzes, fun and games all day. They say not to reserve sun beds with towels ..... But if you don't you won't get any.
Wi-fi is free in public areas but the connection is atrocious making uploading photos and meaningful Skype all but impossible.
Drinks are cold, wet and all inclusive .... Available all day throughout resort.
Top tip - take a regular look in the swap box outside main restaurant for spare suncream, shampoo, insect repellent, air beds and beach toys nice people like us leave when we go home. ( If it is left by pool mini market guy will nab it and re-sell it!)
!!!!! There is no on-site laundry (unlike most other HV's) so be prepared to bring extra stuff or hand wash. !!!!!
GUESTS
A mix of British, German and Greek families. Mostly with children under 12 when we were there (term time).
LOCATION
On the beach front with free sunbeds, umbrella's and screens (for wind or sun) and a beach bar for all inc. drinks and sandwiches. A pleasant, child friendly sand beach with safe shallow water.
15 min walk will take you to centre of Marmari where you will find tourist shops and tour guides much cheaper than facilities in hotel.
The hourly bus to Kos stops outside the hotel's main beach entrance at 25 mins past most hours, takes 25 mins into Kos Town,costs €2 per adult each way with kids free. Buses are modern, clean and air conditioned.
FOOD
Main restaurant buffet style self-service leaves mum frazzled after waiting on hungry mouths! But they are serving food to hundreds at a time so expecting Michelin starred a la carte is not realistic. Avoid kids buffet - it is chips nuggets nuggets chips. Most kids enjoyed the variety from the main serveries. In two weeks none of our party was ill - says a lot. We could always find something to eat.
Rhetorical question???? Why can't a hotel in Greece serve gyro's / kebabs in it's pool side diner as well as burgers and hot dogs? No, I don't know either.
ENTERTAINMENT
Do not come here to enjoy quiet days on secluded pool sides .... This is a family hotel full of, you guessed it, kids doing what kids do on holiday. Laughing, shouting, splashing each other and generally having fun. There is a full time entertainment staff on hand to play music, run quizzes and activities, and generally have fun. The evening entertainment led by the super professional Dee and Stevie G keep the kids and parents amused night after night in the auditorium. I want to send my personal thanks to them for being something to look forward to each and everyday.

In conclusion - can't fault the place. I read 4 kindle novels (proper stuff like Philippa Gregory and Lee Child not short stories) while kids went to kids club, swam and did activities. It's years since I managed a whole book on holiday. Thank you First Choice!

Stayed July 2014
6 Thank KP508
Dimitris A, General Manager at Holiday Village Kos by Atlantica, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear guest,

We are very pleased to read that you had a very enjoyable time during your stay at Holiday Village Kos.

We will certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Gwynedd
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

The best summary I can provide is that when it was time to leave my eight year old was in floods of tears. He'd enjoyed himself so much he didn't want to go home.

If you are splashing out on a family holiday I would not hesitate to recommend this place. Weather gorgeous, complex clean, staff friendly and the reps are nice.
There's plenty to do but you can laze around the pool all day easily enough.
Old Pyli is a 10€ taxi ride and well worth a visit. Other excursions are much cheaper booked from the shops nearby
If you want to be picky the wifi is more reliable in the communal areas than in the rooms,and the lost property dept isn't up to muchif you're unlucky enough to need it. Anyone looking for glitches will find them somewhere but just relax and enjoy yourself. We certainly did.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank ric912
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about Holiday Village Kos. We are very pleased that you had an enjoyable stay at our hotel.

We wish you all the best and we look forward to welcoming you back!
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Just wanted to say that we returned home a few days ago from a two week break and as a party
of 6 ( grandparents, parents and 9 yr old,7 yr old) collectively, we have had the most amazing holiday...I can not fault a thing! Top of our list is the amazing staff and entertainments team...we were made to feel special and extremely welcome. We sat by the activity pool everyday ( and hasten to add that we never had any problems with the sunbed availability, always plenty when we walked down to breakfast at around 8.30-9am) and we joined in with pretty much every activity over the two weeks, my parents (67 yrs!) were very happy that there were adult games and frequently joined in with the archery, boules and water polo. Myself and my husband enjoyed the guess the year, the daily quiz and the family activities and my two little ones loved the superstars and megastars clubs. We have been to plenty of all inclusive so before where we had to pay for water walkers, go karts, rollers etc so were very surprised and happy to find that this was all included in the price...well done you! Lloyd, Stu, SteveyG, Gemma, Natalie, Zac are the team members who we were really fond of and think deserve a special mention- but on the whole have been impressed with everyone. I also want to mention how impressed we were with the security of signing in and out of the children's clubs, I was even asked to sign again once...some people may of been offended by this, I was happy to do so, it meant that your system is safe and secure. The aerial adventure and twin tracker were a massive hit for all of us! As we got to know the 'team' extremely well over the two weeks, we began to thoroughly enjoy the evenings in the amphitheatre....Dee is an amazing host and cannot compliment them enough on the efforts and hours that are put in. They remembered my children's names with no hesitation and always made a fuss of them. The staff within the restaurant were also extremely helpful, also conversed with my children....the food was amazing! I really don't know what other options could of been given....fresh salads everyday, pizza, pasta, fish, lots of meat, potatoes every which way, fresh bread, vegetarian section, cheeses, fresh fruit, great ice cream and a varied selection of desserts...a special mention for the breakfasts...so much choice and healthy options as well as a good old fry up! ...the list goes on....there were always plenty of choice.
Our room was 215, by the reception and must admit, we were pleased to be situated here as it was a quiet spot and enjoyed a peaceful Baileys on the terrace when the little ones had an early night, we couldn't hear the entertainment so felt this was an added bonus. Our room was always kept cleane and the cleaners always laid out the children's teddy bears in a fun way!
I can't praise you enough...we will definitely be 'Holiday Villaging' again at some-point in the future and can only hope to bump into some of your wonderful team again then, I miss everything already.

Room Tip: blocks 100 and 200 are good!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Sarah H
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback on trip advisor.

Our facilities and our staff are elements of our hotel that we are extremely proud of, it is always such a pleasure to read our guests’ positive comments regarding these.

Thank you for choosing Atlantica Holiday Village Kos for your stay.

We will certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Bristol
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Myself and my wife have been to quite a few of these style of hotels in the past when holidaying with my child. I can honestly say that this hotel had the most going on in terms of activities and the most activity reps of any hotel that we visited. Firstly the check in was quick and efficient and we were given a map to locate our room which was very easy to follow because the layout of this hotel is simple. The hotel itself is very modern with beautiful grounds/gardens. The room was also very modern and spotlessly clean, it was also cleaned everyday to a brilliant standard. Each swimming pool has a seperate toddlers pool next to it and the pools are also deep enough to dive into. The food was the standard stuff for these hotels but we always found that there was plenty of choice and it was always hot. Everything is geared towards familys with children even the outside bar has a safe wooden ramp built up to it for kids to be able to speak to the barstaff. If you have a football mad child then there are training exercises on the football pitch in the middle of the complex with FIFA and UEFA badged coaches on hand to hopefully improve their skills. If you have a young one who cant swim yet then there are also trained coaches taking swimming lessons everyday and there are also lessons for adults. The entertainment on the nightime is also better than other places and the reps actually sing rather than mime. I cant finish writting this reveiw without mentioning Kostas who runs the adult bar by reception. Myself and my wife visited nightly and were always met with a warm welcome and good conversation. Kostas is a fantastic barman and a credit to the hotel. The only downside to our stay was the fact that there seemed to be a lot of mosquitos around, which is not the hotels fault at all. You wont get bitten in the room as youll probably have the aircon on rather than the doors open but on the nightime you might be wise to wear some spray/cream.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Jon L
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We really appreciate the feedback from our guests.

We would like to thank you for your kind comments on our staff, and hotel facilities we will be delighted to pass these on the relevant departments.

We are thrilled that we were able to give you such an enjoyable stay.

All the team of Holiday Village Kos looks forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.
Essex
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 2 weeks 13th-27th May. Family of 4 (kids 3 and 10 months).
Our first stay at a Holiday Village.
Sorry for the late review but I have had to really think about what to write without being too long and boring but wanting to put down important points.
Most importantly I wanted to praise the management (Dimitris and Irene). And of course all of the other lovely and friendly staff who were fantastic with our daughters and made them feel special everyday (Stelios, Nik and the 2 ladies that we saw everyday in breakfast but have forgotten their names (so sorry). Popi on reception was also great.

Our first week stay we did encounter problems which did have a reflection in my overall marks. Although almost all of our problems did get resolved I think it's fair to list them because of the impact they had on the first half of our holiday. The problems that we encountered in our first week were.... People reserving sunbeds (obviously this is other guests causing this not the hotel but it did have an impact on our experience). Drinks machines often not working. Cold food and plates. Empty kids buffet. Poor tidying in restaurants. Heated pool not heated (as we were there in May the pools we're freezing so this would have been good for us as our daughter refused to get in the cold pools). Dangerous cot. Italian restaurant not open. I did have complaints everyday and felt that this meant that our family holiday wasn't really a holiday in the first week as all I ever did was be sat with the first choice reps and although nice girls (Lou, Neave and Bethan) I wasn't actually getting anywhere). Their manager Callum was simply rude and unhelpful. He could definitely benefit from going on a customer service course.
Because of this I decided to sit down and speak directly with the hotel Manager listing our issues. So refreshing to speak to an experienced and professional manager. He took onboard everything I said and in response he went above and beyond to make our second week stay a fantastic experience. He pretty much rectified everything. Which meant that we could really enjoy our second weeks stay which did actually feel like a holiday. I must also add that I did also have a meeting with the First Choice regional manager (Callumns manager). She was very good and did also have an input in remedying our problems.
Like others have already said rooms are fab and spotlessly clean. Grounds are immaculate. Nice beach. Marmari is a pleasant little place. American diner good, Greek very good. Made a welcome change to the buffet. We did also manage to eat in the Italian which opened a couple of days before we left. We thought it was delicious. Had fun at the waterpark. Kos Town made a nice change of scenery. My eldest daughter loved the Childrens evening entertainment.
You do need to bear in mind that this is a holiday village, it's all about family, I would say families with smaller children and the hotel do this very well.
After our first week here we wouldn't have returned but after the experience of the second week we would. We encountered some amazing people and I feel that ultimately this is the most important part of a holiday.

Lastly I would like to add that I was disappointed by one of the reps. As I had experienced problems I was asked to fill out an electronic complaints form. I was asked to do this the day we went home whilst waiting for our transfer back to the airport. As you can imagine there was no time and one of the fc reps filled it in on my behalf after I'd left the hotel. On returning I received a copy via email and was mortified to see that alot of it was incorrect and untrue. For example one of the things that she wrote was that I had complained about the room. This was frustrating as the room was something that I had never moaned about. Disappointing!
So please if you need to fill one in make sure you are present when it's being done.

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank mlw123
Philippos S, General Manager at Holiday Village Kos by Atlantica, responded to this review, 4 April 2015
Thank you for writing your Trip Advisor review.

As the new hotel manager this summer I have taken some time out to review past comments on Trip Advisor.

I was very surprised to read your comments and would like to assure you that me and my new management team are totally committed and focussed on customer satisfaction. It would be a pleasure of ours to welcome you back to the hotel and we are sure you would leave with a totally different opinion to that of the one you have reviewed.

Please do not hesitate to get in contact with me should you decide to return.
holidayvillagekos@atlanticahotels.com
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Me my partner and two children (daughter 5, son 1 and half) have just returned from the holiday village kos we had a very lovely week here the holiday village is beautiful rooms are very clean and new as are the restaurants and pools. Loads to do for the children the staff are very friendly and the i5live team work very hard day and night to keep everyone entertained.
The food was not that great yet the salads and fruit is very fresh and really tasty. there is 4 restaurants the main buffet, an America, a Greek grill and an Italian we tried all of them, the Italian was very nice but you do have to pay for that one only.
Beach is just over a road and Marmari supermarket, restaurants and shops are about 10-15 minute walk along the beach.
Lots of fun for the children with swimming academies footballs academies high ropes rock climbing kids clubs.. They will never be board all in all a great family holiday!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jemsno
Dear Guest,

Τhank you for taking the time to post your feedback from your recent stay at the Holiday Village Kos.
We value all our Guests' comments and we take them under serious consideration in order to improve the services we provide and achieve nothing less than 100% Guest Satisfaction.

We wish you all the best,
Hinckley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We've just had the most amazing family holiday. With a 3 year old daughter the Holiday Village at Kos couldn't have been any better. From a swift check in (with buffet laid on), to the room being exactly as shown on the internet, a brilliant selection of food with no queuing in a restaurant that was always clean and had the most attentive staff. The spa facilities were lovely and the gardens were beautifully maintained. The pools were excellent and our daughter had swimming which has really improved her water confidence. The entertainment was first class and the kids club offered a fresh adventure for the little one whilst giving mum and dad a holiday too. The management and staff should be extremely proud of creating an excellent holiday venue which we will visit in the future and will be recommending it to our family and friends. Many thanks.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Francesca B
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback on trip advisor.

Thank you for choosing Atlantica Holiday Village Kos for your stay. We will certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marmari
Blue Lagoon Village
Caravia Beach Hotel
#2 of 15 in Marmari
Kipriotis Village Resort
Astir Odysseus Resort & Spa

Been to Holiday Village Kos by Atlantica? Share your experiences!