Holiday Village Kos by Atlantica
Hotel Esperia(Marmari)
  • Restaurant
Casa Cook Kos(Marmari)
1,485 results
All reviewssplash poolamerican dinerfootball academysliding partitionkids clubentertainment teamswimming lessonsmain restaurantgreek restaurantswim academyadult barsunset barevening entertainmentfamily roomfamily poolaerial adventurehigh ropes
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Ok, I'm reading recent reviews and wandering if I stayed at same hotel! Stayed here 2weeks in June, on arrival it's not the best, your checked in ok but then given a map the doesn't resemble this massive complex to find your room in pitch darkness, this results in loads of people wandering around lost searching for rooms, but next morning you just seem to let this slip putting it down to a long day travelling! let me start by saying this holiday village is ok during daytime with activities (be warned kids activities cost 10 euros a pop, they don't tell you that b4 you go) pools and would maybe even say the food sometimes resembled food, though a quick note your not allowed soft drinks at breakfast, no idea why! the place is clean and the rooms were actually nice, your given a safe in room, doesn't actually work mind you but nice to have! and there's always a first choice rep around! (Shame they play the same cd everyday in complex, tho after 2 weeks that's the least of you problems) but then night time comes along and oh dear!!! Having 2 kids with us we were always first in for dinner and with this you think food would be warm and fresh, nope! Can honestly say it must be the worst array of food I've ever come across, don't ask what anything is because at this time all the staff decide they can't speak English! kids section mini hotdogs rice and pasta every night, don't expect anything else really, sum nights chicken nuggets were produced (they're not chicken, they can't be!) and twice they had fish fingers over 2 weeks at this point I'd like to give special mention to nick in restaurant, your a star helping me every night get something for my daughter out the kitchen! Over to the adult side pork, pork and some more pork and not just that poor quality under cooked pork! Just think worse meal you've ever had! Yip it's worse than that! Why not try Greek restaurant! Omg! That's worse than main restaurant not to american diner, it passable, still rubbish but better than rest except what are those burgers made of ?? Bar person said to me place is ok, entertainments poor and the foods rubbish! So that was good to here! This is what you get night after night, you start to wish you hadn't booked 2 weeks! The rep said we would be better off going to local town zip for meals?? So after a truly horrifying time eating you walk across to the amphitheatre and your first thought is whats this! Cheap uncomfortable seats, steep stairs down to what looked like a dance floor that the kids are constantly up and down so you can't relax and they should do something about that smell in there, it's not good! entertainment was just awful and I mean just the worst! A farmer looking for his lost 450 Brussels sprouts, with kids having no idea what's going on, I asked is there a mini disco for toddlers to which I was told yes, starts at 10.30 sir ?????? Rest of time it was just first choice reps rambling on between each other not involving kids at any point, now I'm not having ago at the first choice team here because they work so hard, and stevie g is wasted here, should be somewhere far better! The problem is first choice, the train all h/v staff this entertainment in uk then they're sent away to do it, it what they're being trained is the problem, it's garbage and that's keeping it nice, one night they had a competition to see how many bras the team could take off in the theatre, good old kids entertainment eh! so after 10 min of this you think I'm going for a drink, here's the next challenge! The useless self service bar outside the theatre never has any cups or beer meaning the next bar is 216 steps away, rather large round trip for a drink I thought then I noticed this hotels saving a fortune on drink because I noticed no one in theatre was drinking due to this, clever thinking by management me thinks! After 11pm they don't like giving out glasses, more washing I guess, I asked a rep about this and they suggested I go in to town and buy my own pint glass, at this point I asked if I had booked a 4*+ hotel here, then asked is there any other entertainment and was told sometimes a Russian guy comes in with karaoke, not sure what to make of this but he never showed up so that was that, so after a hour at around 9pm you've had enough so head back to the room,every where here is a long walk, at least there's wifi, once again though it doesn't work just like the safe! It only works at reception! Im just getting ready to hit first choice with how awful this place is,I'm also going to stop my review now as getting depressed thinking the I ruined my family holiday and a lot of money going here! if you have already booked just keep in mind what I've said, you'll be sitting thinking half way through your holiday "that guy was right", this summers top tip just don't go!

Room Tip: For the love of god, just don go!!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Jason B
Philippos S, General Manager at Holiday Village Kos by Atlantica, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2015

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for writing your Trip Advisor review.

As the new hotel manager this summer I have taken some time out to review past comments on Trip Advisor.

I was very surprised to read your comments and would like to assure you that me and my new management team are totally committed and focussed on customer satisfaction. It would be a pleasure of ours to welcome you back to the hotel and we are sure you would leave with a totally different opinion to that of the one you have reviewed.

Please do not hesitate to get in contact with me should you decide to return.
holidayvillagekos@atlanticahotels.com

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We returned from the Kos Holiday Village yesterday. A fantastic time was had by all. I would rate the holiday as excellent. Except for a few minor things mentioned below it would have scored top marks. We stayed at another First Choice all inclusive in Menorca two years back. We enjoyed that but in comparison this place simply excelled.

The venue itself is quite large but nothing is more than a couple of minutes walk away. The place is kept immaculate. We had a family room with sliding doors. We were really really impressed with this. It was very modern and spacious and catered well for our family of four.

The four pools, including the splash pool, cater well for everyone. As mentioned previously you have to get up early to get the good beds! Whilst the pools get well used they are never overcrowded. Again, they are kept spotlessly clean.

The staff are great. They are helpful, polite with nothing seeming too much trouble.

The food is good. There is plenty of choice and you can pretty much eat any time between 7.30am – 9.30pm. The main food hall caters for all and is plentiful. The snack bar is open from 10.30 – 5.30 and is well stocked. Again, you can be good with a good range of healthy options or your can stuff yourself with burger, hotdogs, chips and ice cream at any time.

The drink options are great. There are some really nice touches in this area. Bottled water is free and unlimited. There are “help yourself” beer and wine pumps dotted around. You are never really more than 50 metres away from beer at any time! As is common on all inclusive though the drinks are served in the silly plastic cups that hold nothing.

Other than the silly cups my only other real gripe was with the American diner. It just didn’t work! If you are going to try and replicate something do it properly or don’t bother. God knows what meat was in the burger, the meat from the ribs had to be hacked off and the potato wedges were like oven baked Tesco ones with cheese dripped over them. Despite the food, I still left the waiters a tip because they were just so good again (I’m not sure if tipping is the norm though). The Greek restaurant was nice. We all left there happy and full.

There is a shop on site. It is convenient but pricey due to the captive audience. 26 euros for sun tan lotion… ouch! It has a good selection of inflatables that are a must for the kids. In fairness they are not too expensive. They sell plastic pint cups which is a must!!

There is a lot going on during the day in the activity pool and with the kids clubs. We kind of kept away from all that choosing to make our own fun in the pools but there was seemingly loads going on if you wanted to offload the kids for a bit (or a lot).

The night time entertainment is staged in an amphitheatre. Due to it being just all concrete I didn’t think it was that great for small toddlers but this is just a personal thought. As a venue though, it worked really well and one of those help yourself beer/wine pumps was just outside!

The evening entertainers seem to have come in for a lot of criticism here in the reviews which I think is unfair. They kept kids engaged, involved and well entertained. If they can keep my kids entertained allowing me to sit back and relax then all is good in my world. I bet back in the day your own parents thought Timmy Mallet was an idiot as you, yourself, were laughing as someone was being hit with a pink sponge hammer! They did a cabaret most nights and we were again impressed. They are not pros but for holiday entertainers I thought they were very good.

There are a few nice touches as well. Melon being brought round the pool while you lounge and popcorn machines being wheeled out to the side of the pool.

In short, this place is brilliant. Other than for the few minor gripes mentioned it would get top marks.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Richard C
Dimitris A, General Manager at Holiday Village Kos by Atlantica, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

Dear guest,

I was very pleased to learn how much you enjoyed your stay with us. Your kind comments are greatly appreciated. Customer care is amongst our highest priorities and it is always gratifying to receive such praise.

Once again thank you very much for your kind support and we look forward to welcoming back to Holiday Village Kos.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We have just returned from a week here with our girls age 9 and 6. There were lots of things that were excellent about the resort but the few of things we didn't like had a big impact on our enjoyment of the holiday, 3 rating is maybe a little harsh but don't feel it lived up to expectation enough for a 4.
Positives were the room was fantastic, lovely decor, spotlessly cleaned and towels changed every day, excellent air con and easy distance to everything on the resort. 3 of the 4 beds were super luxury comfy, i'll come back to the 4th in the negatives! The grounds and pools were just as lovely as the hotel, well maintained and well laid out. The choice of 4 pools was great as if the girls got bored in one pool we could move to another. The staff throughout the hotel from reception, maintenance, housekeeping, waiting staff and the first choice entertainers and kids club staff were all totally exceptional, polite and helpful probably one of the best things about the hotel. There were lots of kids clubs to choose from 10am through to 11pm as well as pool activities and climbing wall/aerial adventure and our kids loved everything they took part in. There was one small shop but it had everything we needed, mainly floats etc for the pool. There were bars and drinks machines located all over so never had to go to far for a drink and the ice cream was fab, must have eaten our weight in ice cream!
There were two main things we felt were poor one was the food and second the evening entertainment. There was a fairly decent selection of food in the main restaurant and if your open to trying different types of food then the quality of the food wasn't all bad, lots of salads, fish, pork etc. Breakfast was good. However my husband and kids found it very difficult to find anything they would eat at both lunch and dinner which were pretty much the same foods and really repetitive, they ate mostly chips, I tried a few of the different dishes but would say average at best. The kids corner food was very poor, over cooked smiley faces, something that looked like chicken nuggets, fish fingers, really not good at all. They had a pizza corner but the garlic bread was like cardboard and the pizza like rubber. The all inclusive snack bar open 1030 to 1730 was thankfully fairly decent. Not a huge selection but toasties and sandwiches you could make up yourself which were great and hot dogs the kids loved and even hubby wolfed down! Once dinner finished at 2130 there was no options for food/snack, not even available to pay for so if you didn't fill yourself at dinner you were going hungry till breakfast! The evening entertainment all took place in the amphitheater, I felt they had tried to over complicate it with gimmicky kids entertainment and the girls got quite bored with it even on the first night, all they wanted was to get up and dance but most of it involved them sitting bored on the dance floor watching the entertainers jump around. On the nights the girls wanted to go to kids clubs hubby and I were really bored for the two hours they were away! We tried the adult bar but there was no entertainment here or atmosphere so we ended up sitting on the internet or the couches in the bar, there was plenty of space around the pool bar and think they could make much better use of this as a second entertainment venue. A couple of small niggles which didn't bother us too much but might be good to know, there is no cash machine at the hotel and they will not let you take cash back off your card also if you want to exchange money they take a 10EUR commission so we ended up walking into town, thankfully only a 10 min walk, for a cash machine. The 4th bed in our room was not fit to sleep in, a fold out with paper thin cushion for a mattress, luckily our girls are used to jumping in with each other at home and the 3rd bed was a lovely big single but this wouldn't work for older kids so could be a problem for some. The last small thing which is probably an issue most places was sun loungers, first morning we went out at 830 and nearly all the beds were reserved so I ended up getting up at 7, putting towels out and going back to bed for a couple of hours and even then there were a lot of towels already out, the splash pool was particularly busy and I think this will get a lot worse during peak season which starts soon. We did have a really nice week here and got it at a very good price so feel bad complaining too much but I definitely wouldn't return to this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank k30ly

Dear guest,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Holiday Village Kos, It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks. The hotel continuously strives to meet your needs and expectations .

Best regards,

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We (couple with children aged 7 & 10) stayed here for a week at end June. This is our first experience of holiday villages however have previously stayed at family resorts which have been similar.

On arrival (local time 11.30pm) we were shown to our room, snacks were available and the adult bar was open later due to flights arriving!

Room - spacious, spotless, cleaned daily and possibly the comfiest bed I've ever slept in! We were in the 600 block which seemed to be central!

Pools - plenty variety for everyone! Sun loungers still available at 9am!! The children's splash pool was very cold and obviously noisy with young children, however ideal if your children are of that age group! The activity pool was fun with lots going on all day. We preferred the main pool which was central to everything and a little more relaxing!

Restaurant - Yes was a bit like canteen, however quick and easy overall in my opinion! Good variety at breakfast - hot English breakfasts, cereals, fruits, meats and cheeses, breads - actually don't think there's anything not offered! Kids loved the pancakes and I can recommend the hot apple croissants! Lunch - we only ever ate at the outside diner for lunch so based on this - salad, bread, rolls, toastie facilities with hot food such as burgers, pasta and chips - we felt there was enough options for lunch available here! Ice cream served here between 11-5.30 so kids can pop over anytime! Dinner - Canteen style again however plenty options and themed nights! Might have got a bit fed up if staying longer but there was always a huge variety of salads, breads, meats, veg dishes and potato options which were available every night so no one can possibly go hungry (in my opinion!) there was also a meat roast option on most nights. We visited the American diner which would recommend - however go hungry as portions huge! The menu for the Greek restaurant looked nice also but we never managed due to our shorter stay!

Staff - cannot speak highly enough of any of the staff! Bar staff always appeared happy and pleasant! The reps helpful and plentiful! The entertainment staff were first class! Our children took part in the football academy - fantastic - Matt and Alex were great! My daughter did the swimming academy with Jess! Jess build her confidence in such a fun way that she's progressed more in those 5 days than the last 3 years! Cannot recommend this enough! Also need to mention Stevie G and Dee - top class and sure these guys will go far! Also need to mention Ross, Lloyd and all the others who entertained kids at clubs and activities during the day then carried on into the night - all work so hard and provide such a welcome to the children! Our children both attended a couple of kids club activities and enjoyed them.

Finally the resort - we never managed further than the water park due to only staying for 7 nights! The water park was great - clean and very safety conscious staff - which is important to us with children! Booked with First Choice - yes we would have saved if travelled independently but to be honest we were happy to just make it hassle free!

Only complaint - it was too short a stay and would go back next year!

Room Tip: The rooms on the 600 block were central and quiet
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank laura h

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for your review and for your kind words regarding your stay at the Holiday Village Kos.

I was pleased to read that you have very much enjoyed your stay with us and that you found everything of a high standard.
We thank you for your valuable feedback/comments and the special mention you have made to members of our team.
I look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel for yet another relaxing experience!

Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Myself, my fiancé and our 2 year old son stayed here recently and we were very impressed. On arrival there is always food waiting for you which thought it was very welcoming. Check in was quick but we had to go and find our room in the dark which was quite frustrating as this is a pretty big place, our suitcases were brought to our room which was a nice touch.
We had a family room which was great with a partition wall with a glass window, the only niggle was that there was no bath which would have been handy, we requested and got a room on the ground floor due to my fiancee being nearly 6 months pregnant.
The main restaurant was excellent for most nights appart from 2 nights when there was a lot of repetition, the wine was great but the beer was very poor in my opinion. Breakfast was excellent everyday. The american and the greek restaurants werent good at all, service wasnt good at all but we were happy to have a bit of a change of scenary from the main restaurant.
The beach was very good and is where we spent most of our 2 weeks, sun loungers are free and plentiful, there is a lot of seaweed, i mean loads of it and i really think the hotel could get someone to clean it and it would certainly make it better for the guests.
The staff at the bars varied, some of the girls were very miserable for the whole 2 weeks we were there but this was overturned by some very pleasant ones, Maria on the beach bar is a wonderful person and always smilled and was very pleasant to us and all other guests.
We called a doctor out twice as our son had an allergic reaction, this cost 100 euros each time, if you dont have cash the doctor will drive you to the cash machine to get it which i thought was very odd but we did need it so no complaints there.
One frustrating part is that so many guest bring the sun loungers to their room but also have one by the pool!!! We found this irritating as you had no chance of getting one around the pools but yet you could see them empty outside guests room, when i spoke to the manager he took it on board but said he couldnt do much as he was concerned about the guests complaining on trip advisor about bad service, this only happened a couple of times so we didnt let it affect our experience.
One word of advice is DO NOT use the hotel shop its a complete rip off, if you got to marmari or kos town everything is half price. Also all the trips are less than half price if you go to town, dont buy at the hotel as it is very expensive ie, a 3 island cruise booked through the first choice rep was 47 euros per adult and 26 euros for our 2 year old son which came to a total of 120 euros, in kos town it was 50 euros for all of us for the exact same trip, crazy hey!

If you are a couple dont go here as it is designed for families.

Overall we did have an amazing 2 weeks at HV and we will be looking another one of their hotels in the near future.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Meeko1000

Dear Reviewer,

It was indeed very kind of you to take the time and let us have your impressions from your recent stay at Holiday Village Kos.

Your very kind words about the quality and standard of services delivered in our Hotel are very encouraging for all of us here at the Holiday Village Kos.

The aim of the entire Holiday Village Kos team has always been to provide the best possible service and facilities to all our guests, at all times.

We would like to thank you for having given us the opportuni¬ty to extend to you our "Atlantica Hospitality", and look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back at our Hotel in the near future.