“Wonderful Family Holiday”

Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Marmari
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Family Holiday”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I would just like to say how wonderful this holiday was we went for 10 nights with our two daughters age 4 and 1. They both loved it Splash pool was a must everyday, our eldest daughter also joined the children's club. The staff couldn't do enough for us, all really friendly. Food was lovely and the girls had to have ice cream everyday. My husband and I are defo considering returning next year we enjoyed it so much. Its everything we could of wished for and more.

Room Tip: We stayed in block 700 room 718 great room
7 Thank KerryHay
Dimitris A, General Manager at Holiday Village Kos by Atlantica, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Dear Guest,

I was very happy to read your positive feedback and that our quality of services and facilities exceeded your expectations.

I sincerely hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you again.

Best Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Manchester
Reviewed 8 August 2014

This review was written whilst there (as it gave us something to do) but couldn't post it due to the poor wifi signal around the resort.

I will start with some positives.

1. Excellent value for money as each day seams to last a lifetime.

2. Extreme weight-loss due to a mixture of diabolical food and appalling air-con.

3. Comfortable beds, Which is fortunate as you will find yourself spending a lot of time in them.

4. Fewer tan lines as your not required to wear a wristband, (but let's face it, only an idiot would smuggle themselves in!)

5. For only 2 euros you can get a bus away from there.

( before you think we are just the type to moan, we're a normal down to earth family with a 5 year old, this is our 4th holiday village, AND OUR LAST!)

.....now where shall we begin....

1, Room. and we foolishly paid extra for a superior double with sea view- this very dated room is certainly not worth the extra, ( the standard rooms are much better) Think open plan to to max, to the point that there is ZERO privacy, so you need to be a VERY close family as it's possible to view the toilet/shower/double bed and kids beds from the balcony/patio. It is impossible to get dressed without scaring your children! Also, the Air Con is diabolical, despite what other reviews say. It's sat above the door and has zero affect in the room, ours was set on 16 deg c for 3 days on full fan and the room still felt like the outside bar. But seen as we have lost all dignity due to the lay out, standing like a naked starfish in front of the door temperarally resolves the problem!

2. SUNBEDS for goodness sake FIRST CHOICE read the other reviews.....BUY some more sun beds! The money you conned from us alone must be able to buy 50 of them. We didn't manage to get one sun bed the entire week, and resorted to endlessly traipsing around with all our stuff in search of some shade, witnessing endless lines of empty RESERVED sunbeds, I can only assume everyone else has wasted away due to my next point.............

3. FOOD ... Think 1970's German hotel cuisine , beef cheeks, calf liver and peas with tomatoes, .....just what your 5 year old yearns for after a hard afternoon of hunting for sunbeds at the pool, so bring vitamins for the kids as yellow food is pretty much all they will eat! (except for the grey chicken in the nuggets!)
Also the show cooking is a joke, it's either a "chef" re warming spaghetti and throwing it into the Trof, or a severe meat meister on the cavery,(you might get two pieces if your ask. Not that you want more after watching him rip meat off bones with his hands, Use some utensils please, we are not dogs!)
As for the two al a cart restaurants, we can't comment, we did book them early, but just couldn't face it! They utilalized the same areas as the snack bars, so it's pretty much same rubbish, but with table cloths!

4. DRINKS... Beer...think 2% yellow flat water, you can drink this all day long out of CHILRENS plastic cups without effect. In fact the norm is to purchase your own 'I love Kos' stein just so you have enough liquid to consume before it evaporates!
Wine.....not exactly award winning but Ok as a spritzer, I think it was only one in ten drinks that the wine/ lemonade actually dispensed together! I pored more down the drain than down my neck!
Hence we moved onto cocktails! Please do not waste your time on the HV SPECIAL, it's cordial and grenadine. Some other cocktails in the adults bar ( if you can call it that, as the kids outnumber us 3 to 1) are much better, they might even contain some alcohol, we resorted to having shots of ouzo to compensate and to try get our money's worth, as lights go out at 12 throughout the resort with no option to purchase further food and drinks!

5. ENTERTAINMENT... I can't fault it really, and luckily for us as we didn't eat, we could get a seat to watch it. Although it did get a bit repetitive as all the entertainment was provided by the reps, with no outside acts brought in (unlike other HV) also charity is rammed down your throat, one of our evenings entertainment was an auction selling items such as the reps flip flops for 50 euros etc, if the prize was the next flight home, we'd of bid! All the evening entertainment is set in the amphitheatre, which if you've been to other HV is a bit of a daytime activity point, but not here, that's your lot, there's a short Walk to a self service bar, otherwise it's a tedious trek to the main bar if you want to drink from a glass or drink anything more complicated than flat lager with drowned wasps in!

6. POOLS... all pools apart from the kids splash pool ( towels on beds from 4am I believe) are far to deep for little ones, my 5 year old can swim luckily but you still cant risk taking your eyes of him for a second as not even I can reach the bottom, and there are no lifeguards on duty, in fact any staff in general are hard to come by.

Thank goodness we only booked one week!

I have no clue what the criteria first choice have to justify this place being a holiday village, but I feel seriously mislead. This place is NOT in the same league of the others we have visited ie Rhodes, Sharm El Sheikh, Majorca, and First Choice should reduce their price accordingly.
Other holiday villages include the following as standard..
on site water-parks,
constant daytime activities for all throughout resort( not just the 80 or so people that put towels on beds at 5 am)
a variety of purpose built restaurants/excellent choices and show cooking in the buffet restaurant,
Several evening venues to suit all ages, with a variety of entertainment.
.....And the rest!

FIRST CHOICE GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER!
You have lost two valuable customers.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
32 Thank Munkeypuzzler
Philippos S, General Manager at Holiday Village Kos by Atlantica, responded to this review, 4 April 2015
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for writing your Trip Advisor review.

As the new hotel manager this summer I have taken some time out to review past comments on Trip Advisor.

I was very surprised to read your comments and would like to assure you that me and my new management team are totally committed and focussed on customer satisfaction. It would be a pleasure of ours to welcome you back to the hotel and we are sure you would leave with a totally different opinion to that of the one you have reviewed.

Please do not hesitate to get in contact with me should you decide to return.
holidayvillagekos@atlanticahotels.com
lytham st annes
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from an excellent week at the HV Kos. Everything from start to finish was excellent, the food, the rooms, the entertainment. The place was kept immaculate and the rooms we're spacious and lovely. Every member of our family (aged 31, 37, 3 and 7) had the most amazing time. We would all highly recommend this hotel to any family with children. We loved it so much that we have booked to go back next year. Thanks holiday village you we're great!!

Stayed July 2014
5 Thank laura s
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about Holiday Village Kos. We are very pleased that you had an enjoyable stay at our hotel.

We wish you all the best and we look forward to welcoming you back!
Yorkshire
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We had a fantastic holiday. First time I have been to a holiday village and would definitely recommend it especially to families with young children. The entertainment team were excellent and kept my son happy with the nightly shows, discos and quizzes.
The staff at the hotel were really helpful and when we complained about our leaking air conditioning they came round to fix it and later brought around a complementary bowl of fruit and bottle of wine to apologise.

3 Thank kirstyb07
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your stay at the Holiday Village Kos. We are very pleased to read that your stay with us was a very pleasant experience.

We wish you all the best and we look forward to welcoming you back again.
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We travelled here in July for an 11 night holiday with our two children aged 7 & 4. We arrived in the early hours & there were sandwiches, fruit & drinks in reception waiting for us which I thought was a really lovely touch considering the time of night we had flown in. We had a lovely room, away from all the noise mainly (we were in block 600 opposite the splash pool). Air conditioning was a welcome addition plus a fridge too which helped as we got through so much bottled water.
Mealtimes were, depending on what time you went down a bit manic, best time for breakfast was around 9:30am & dinner about 6:30pm. Food was excellent, both of mine are quite picky eaters but found something at every meal. Don't really rate the children's section of the restaurant to be honest...very boring. My only gripe....loads of lovely salad at lunch time but no cold meat. We ate in the snack bar a couple of times at lunch time which was fine, burgers,hot dogs etc but we preferred the main restaurant.
We spent a few days at each pool starting with the splash pool. Fine for really little ones but please watch their feet on the bottom of the pool, very rough surface & both of mine cut their feet. Also watch the elephant head that fills with water & then tips out...it's quite a force so little ones can easily get knocked flying by it.
My favourite place was by the small family pool, reasonably quiet & with a good children's bit which is shallow enough for them to have fun but not deep enough for you to have to worry too much. Just watch the steps into this pool though, very slippery despite a handrail there. I fell & cracked my back on the steps & spent 4 days in rather a lot of pain, a huge black/purple bruise & popping ibuprofen. I did report it to the reps in case I needed attention at some stage but it was fine. Sadly with all the pools, getting up early to get sunbeds is a must. Either me or my husband was up at 5:30am to get a decent spot, obviously that would also depend on the time of year you went.
The main pool is well spaced out & also has a couple of little sections that are suitable for children still in arm bands etc. Again get up early for sunbeds.
Entertainment was provided nightly by the same team.....they work so hard & really do earn their money. We've been to a few all inclusive in the past & have never seen such good entertainment. There is something for everyone plus they do entertainment during the day too around the activity pool by the main building.; This was, to be honest, a bit loud & in your face so we didn't sit by this pool at all purely because the children wanted to go to the other pools.
We had a walk into Marmari just to be nosey really. Not much there, usual bars & little supermarkets if that's what you want. We took the bus into Kos Town one day, really cheap only 2 euros each way & a very quick half an hour journey from right outside the hotel.
Sam in the mini market is lovely, always very happy to help & excellent with the children.
Overall a really fantastic holiday, no complaints at all about any of it, food excellent, very clean & well maintained, plenty to suit all ages & needs. If we hadn't of already booked next years holiday, we would of been returning.

Room Tip: Away from the pools if you like it quiet, the closer to main reception, the quieter it is.
10 Thank carolinem076
Dear Reviewer,

It was indeed very kind of you to share your memorable experience with us, and submit your impressions from your recent holiday at our Hotel.

Your very kind words about the quality and standard of services delivered in our Hotel are very encouraging for all of us here at the Holiday Village Kos. We can only assure you that the sole commitment of the Holiday Village Kos Team is to continue adding value to our services and to further advancing our leadership position in the hotel industry.

We would like to thank you for having given us the opportunity to extend to you our Hospitality, and look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Best Kind Regards,
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This is the first time we have ever been to a holiday village. My husband and I travelled with our 9 year old son who had a fantastic time as the hotel is solely geared for kids. I was very impressed with the room which was modern and had a full size bed for our son, not a camp bed as you would expect. The food was excellent and you could not complain as there was such a massive choice, the main buffet restaurant however resembled more of a canteen and there was no tea or coffee served at lunch or dinner only breakfast. The drinks were local and mediocre to say the least, nothing was cold and they were served in plastic cups. We saw families that had taken their own glasses with them as they had read the reviews before travelling which is something we did not do nor would have regardless. There was an adult bar and sports bar which served drinks in proper glasses which was better but the bar areas lacked any sort of ambience at all. Would I go again? no but I know that my son would love to go back.

Room Tip: The rooms nearest reception are quieter and have recently being refurbished
1 Thank Joanne F
Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate the time you have taken to post your comments on Trip Advisor about the Holiday Village kos.

We feel very proud that you have found our facilities, services, food and our staff to your total satisfaction and that we have exceeded your expectations in all areas of our hospitality.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best Regards
Pembroke Dock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We have just got back from a two week holiday and had a great time.The reps were excellent towards my daughter and made her feel really welcome in the kids clubs Sid,Donna and Zak were reps she really liked.She went to a theatre school called Razzmatazzz 3 times and gained a lot of confidence with the help of Jenna and Daisy who run the group.We have been on numerous holidays abroad but we havnt seen an entertainment team as good as this before.Helen,Dee,Ross and Cara are all really good entertainers but Stevie G is a one off entertainer he could be on Tv he is that funny and good at what he does with the kids and the adults.Hotel food was good but only problem was food didn't have much flavour as advertised,such as spicy chicken wings but they weren't spicy.A few things could be improved at the hotel such as colder bottles of water in extreme heat also slush puppies were available at the pool bar but were never ready.plastic cups for drinking beer was also not good luckily I had read the review and brought a plastic pint glass with me from home.Overall the Hotel is great and all the activities are in view from the middle of the complex an astroturf football pitch is really good and I would advise anyone to get the coaching from Matt and Alex the football coaches who are very good.Hope this review has helped to explain the hotel.

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank poppyscarl
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review and for your kind words regarding your stay at the Holiday Village Kos.

I was pleased to read that you have very much enjoyed your stay with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel.

Best Regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marmari
Blue Lagoon Village
Summer Village Hotel
#5 of 14 in Marmari
Kipriotis Village Resort
Sandy Beach Hotel & Family Suites

Been to Holiday Village Kos by Atlantica? Share your experiences!