“Honeymoon Disaster!!!!!!!!!!”

Roselands Hotel Bungalows
Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Marmari
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Where do i start? We arrived on our 'HONEYMOON' holiday at roughly 12.00am on 6th august. When we went to reception to book-in the welcome was appauling. The guy just gave us a form to fill in and told us to write out our names and passport numbers, after this we were just given a card and pointed in the direction of our room. No offers to carry bags, never escorted us to our room and just not very friendly atall, did not feel welcome in the slightest not even a welcome pack!
When we had reached the hotel block, we had to carry the pushchair and 2 heavy suitcases up 2 flights of stairs bfore we reached the lift.
The place was dead, no life what so ever! Gave it the benefit of the doubt as it was 'late' when we arrived.
Got into our room to find the smallest room possible considering their was 4 people sharing! was not room to swing a cat which resulted in my son (16months) falling twice in the first night and having 2 nasty bruises on his head from the edge of the bed and a split lip! His cot was placed right next to the TV unit where the wires hung between the bars of his cot!
We had to move the 2 chairs from inside the room onto the balcany just to be able to fit the suitcases and pushchair somewhere in the room!
The bed was not very comfortable, very hard and a single flat pillow each! So much for the romantic style stated in the advert!
The bathroom was so tiny, you sat on the toilet with your feet inside the shower. It had an awful smell, must have been coming from the drain, and the shower itself leaked from the joint between the shower head and hose which resulted in the shower being switched on and sprayin all over the place!
The shower curtain never went all the way around unless you held it with one hand whilst trying to shower yourself which was awkward and also it kept falling down!
The next day my wife went to reception and spoke to the manager to ask if we could move to a bigger room as there was not enough spece for our family, only to be told there are no bigger rooms they are all the same size and he tells travel companies not to book familys of 4 into their hotel as the rooms are not suitable for this many persons! This came from the manager himself.
We went for breakfast where we were dissapointed with the choices of what to eat, we had 4 choices, all of which we did not eat so had a choice of 2 cereals, which we had one of everyday.
The lunch time meals and dinner time meals were just as bad, the food was not very appetising! potatoes were solid, meat was seasoned most the time with chilli seeds, peppercorns, mustard, ect which both my son or daughter would eat as it was too spicy. My 2 children just lived on cucumber and spaghetti everyday except the 3 days we went out to eat as we refused the food!
One of the days we were there we had a power cut which we new nothing about as nobody bothered informin us, (although we found out after they new the day before as it was due to works going on araound the area) due to this we woke up to no hot or cold water to brush our teeth, have a wash, or be able to flush the toilet. Even a note through the door would have been nice,so we could atleast have brought a bottle of water to do these essentials.
After this power cut our power came back on but for 2 days our toilet would not flush! we informed reception and a guy came out to fix it, changed a part and apparently worked fine. After he had gone i went to the toilet and again the chain would not flush! We again notified reception where a different guy was on, he checked the book and said 'its fine' and was really quite rude! He didnt seem bothered in the slightest! eventaully got this sorted and had a fully working toilet aging!
Due to disappointment we tryed contacting people to see if it was possible we change hotels as the place is a shambles! We rang yourself where we were given a number 08448440855 for triton to ring where my wife was on the phone for 45mins, wasted £20 of credit to which we never got an answer atall!! Rang back sunmaster (we always got an answer from yourselves) and spoke to a lady where she said she would get them to ring us back within 48 hours to which still we had no reply! Even had my mother ringin from england to triton to try and help us but nothing!!!
The pool side toilets are dreadfull, a little shed full of crickets and locust, not clean atall, the toiet doors didnt shut proply and there was no locks on the door to lock it! Never topped up with toilet roll. Always soaking on the floor, bearing in mind its a slightly sloped floor and VERY slippy. Would not even let my 5year daughter in there on her own as it just really is not safe, anyone can walk in on you!
It states in the advert we have entertainment on, pool parties, cocktail nights, greek dances, all of this was false as there was no entertainment atall except a greek night on a wednesday night which was just a guy on his keyboard playing greek music!
Every other night we had a cd playing on repeat untill 11.30 then it was nothing!
The all inclusive bar consisted on a choice of 6 drinks, brandy, ouzo, beer, soft drinks, black tea, or coffee which we found shocking!
When my wife appraoched the bar at 11.02 (bar shut at 11) the second night and asked for some hot water for the babys bottle, she was refused point blank, hot water had gone and and refused to give her any. The guy was very rude and obnoxious.
When checking out, ready and eager to get home, i asked the lady on duty at reception where we could store our bags which i was told there was no storage and to leave them just sitting in reception, bearing in mind anybody could have tampered with them considering we had to check out of our room at 12pm and was not leaving untill 21.55 that night!
We had nowhere to have a shower or change and the place never had no baby changing facilities atall! we had to change him on our knees or on a sun lounger unless we was in the room!
All in all we had an awfull stay at this place and would not recommend to anybody! the people, food, hospitality, and hotel was dreadfull!! Never catered for the english atall, did not even fly an English flag so for the whole 2 weeks felt really out of place!
After the first week of trying to contact somebody to get a move out of this hell hole we gave up!! Nobody seemed intrested to help us but had to make the most of what we had for our childrens sakes and makesure they were safe! absolutley disgusted with it and had an awful honeymoon!! never again!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Mat T
Kwstadinos A, Ιδιοκτήτης at Roselands Hotel Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Dear Client,
With reference to your comments "where do I start ?',I will try to answer as many of your comments as I can.
So,to begin with,the first day of your "honeymoon" together with your 5 year old son and your baby son was the 5th of August and not the 6th as you mention(that being of a minor importance,anyway...).
I can really not see anything wrong from the side of my night porter who welcomed you-and your family-and did everything he was supposed to do and instructed you to your room the only way he could do it,at 12:00p.m.I have been in England -and other Europoean countries-in 3 and 4 star Hotels and NEVER had any help with my suitcases,the only instuction how to get to my room was verbal.As far as the comment of "dead place" I have to inform you that on Aug 5th the Hotel was fully booked-as it is from mid June and on-and accomodated 249 guests that night(including you and your family of course).
The size of the rooms is a normal size of a 3* Hotel and it is true that I have requested the T.O. I work with to avoid booking rooms for 4 people(even if the 4th person is an infant because the baby cot takes some place in the room....)Do not forget that in the Hotel's fact sheet all the details are mentioned(size of the room,equipment etc).So my feeling is,if you wanted to have more space in the room you should have booked a 4 or 5 stars Hotel which could provide you that.Of course in that case the cost would be minimum two maximun three times higher.
As far as the power cut is concerned,yes we did know two days before and we DID INFORM our guests already the morning before, in five languages(including English)about the power cut,the duration and the concequences of it, as the Hotel being in the country depends TOTALLY on electricity.The relevant anouncements were posted in five different places(on the Reception desk,on the Reception's info board,on the various activities board,outside the Restaurant and at the Pool Bar) arount the Hotel and my feeling was that 95% of the guests although they didn't like it they were not surprised by the power cut.
All the years the Hotel is operating ,clients leaving late store their luggage at the Reception area and specially where it can be visible from the person working at the Reception for obvious reasons.Anyway,nothing has happened all these years so we are pretty calm about this case.
We have at our client's disposal in the basement two showers-one for women and one for men-to use when they depart late.......
You refer to the Greek night and mention that ONE "guy performing on his keyboards playing Greek music".Honestly, how difficult is it, to "miss" the second person playing bouzouki and singing..........
Anyway it is most unpleasant for us to know that a client who has been here with us didn't enjoy his holidays and left Kos with these impressions.
Thank you very much for your attention

Argyropoulos Ambrose

Reviewed 21 August 2014

We stayed from 31st July to 7th August. We weren't expecting that much after reading the reviews on here. But it wasn't all that bad. We didn't arrive until just before 9pm, and were told to go have dinner and then check in as it closed at 9, which was good because we didn't expect to get anything when we arrived.

The room was fairly basic, too much furniture so it made it feel quite small. Air conditioning was extra at 3euros a day, we paid for 7 days and it was definitely worth it. The bathroom, was FAR too small, and the shower was TINY, with a shower curtain that didn't do anything, so just soaked the whole floor. It could be better designed it make the room feel larger.

The breakfast was mainly catered to the eastern Europeans, as they are the majority in the hotel. The food overall wasn't too bad. It always tasted really good, BUT it was always cold, even when it was straight from the kitchen. There was a fair choice of hot food, and always loads of salad and bread, which was really good.

The pool was good, there were always loads of sunbeds with parasols. although the toilets by the pool were disgusting.

the staff were always friendly, as long as you were polite to them, which is fair enough, as so many people didn't say please or thank you.

I was a little disappointed with the house keeping, as they didn't clean the bathroom/shower/floors once while we were there, and we straightened the bed everyday, and the day they changed the sheets, they were just left at the bottom of the bed in a pile.

With better space planning in the rooms, and a little money spent in the right places, and warmer food it could be a decent little family run hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Laura_HS26
Reviewed 17 August 2014

So many of the reviews here ring true, if you want a basic room, somewhere with a pool, and to use as a base you'll be fine here as long as the price is cheap enough. I found the owners (wife and husband) to be amenable enough though not overtly friendly. The son, "the inheritor", seemed to be "just going through the process", not interested, and not friendly. I'm glad we didn't book fully inclusive, the food looked very mediocre with very little choice and as far as drinks were concerned, more was "not included" or restricted than was available (for example the free bar ended 11pm but the bar was open until midnight, coffee was served in very small cups, and beer in small plastic glasses). Overall the facilities were dated and in need of renewal. The beds were extremely hard. One of the saving graces of the hotel was the barman Akrivos (translates to Precious in English - and he is, is all senses of the word). Friendly, entertaining and hard-working with good bar skills.

Of Kos itself, and the reason for the title, it has changed a lot since I last came here 17 years ago. The island is more built up, and probably due to recession which has particularly hit hard in Greece the main motivation of a lot of Greek restaurants and other services seems to be extracting as much money out of you as possible with a minimal amount of personal service, although this was not always the case.

Marmari is limited in restaurants and so we hired bicycles from Trust in Marmari to cycle to Tingaki (where we had stayed previously). Admittedly we went for the cheapest bikes available, but, they either had no lights, or lights that did not work. The gear shifts did not work properly, the brakes were poor, and each bike had at least one broken pedal. They later made the excuse that they were the "older bikes", however these faults would be cheap to fix and maintaining them would improve their profitability - we spent enough to have brought a brand new bike. We had been on excursion booked through by a very nice English woman at Theokritos Travel in Tingaki after been drawn in by the amusing banter from a Greek man outside. A few days later, fairly late in the evening we had a puncture. I asked the man from Theokritos Travel if he knew where I could get a pump. Instead, he phoned up Trust and said leave the bike with him and go and have our evening meal, which we did. When we returned it turned out that Trust had turned up, but missed the man who had called them. Trust didn't bother looking for us and instead took the bike with the puncture and the replacement they had brought. It was now 11pm. The man from Theokritos was furious, he took me in his car to Marmari, had a blazing row with Trust and then drove me back to my family. "All they care about is f****** money" he swore on the way. He then drove my partner back to Tingaki, he would not take no for an answer, while I cycled with our children back. I'm sure that the man from Theokritos wanted to make money too, but it wasn't his only motivation, and I would go back to him again and again, but never to Trust.

My ratings:
Roselands **
Akrivos *****
Trust -
Theokritos Travel ***********

Room Tip: go to a different hotel
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Peter L
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Very nice hotel .....friendly staff always willing to help...food good typical all inclusive....hotel is a little far from beach but not too bad..bar staff brilliant drink on tap all day.....smallest showers you can possibly get...

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank george m
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Hotel was very good, clean, food really tasty, there was wide choice. Beach is quite far but really nice. Not so far are shops and restaurants. Near to the hotel is a bus stop. We recommended to borrow bicycles or scooters to go aroud the island. We were very glad to be there.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Nic0lette1
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Hotel good, rooms good, cleanliness v good, staff v good, food leaves a lot to be desired catered for mainly Italians Greek and German.Had to pay extra for air/con, locks on balcony doors had to be replaced, the air/con did not work for a full day, lots of niggly little things. Second day there had to have the doctor out to my wife with very bad mosquito bites.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank RAYLeigh_Lancs_U_K_
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I came here for a week getaway.
Was annoyed that when we arrived and checked in, we were not taken to our room but was just given a general wave in the right direction- this has never happened before. We couldn't find the AC remote to be told that we have to pay extra! All inclusive bar doesn't include vodka or rum. Having stayed in other cheap all inclusive hotels, I don't think this is the norm.
If u stay here, must hire form of transport as there is literally nothing around.
The food was the most basic I have seen, there were a couple of nice things but not much.
Tigaki has nice restaurants and is a 10 euro cab journey away but they have a mosquito infestation so I have been bitten to death.
Pros to the hotel- clean + lovely pool area.
Recommend taking the bus for 2 euro to port at kos city centre.
We booked with lowcostholidays and this review page looks different to the one that was linked on their page to roseland.. Will have to take this up with them as feel conned

• Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank ACLewis
aek5355, Διευθυντής at Roselands Hotel Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear client,
I would like to thank you first, for choosing Roseland for your "get away week" in June.
Also thank you for your kind words about cleanliness of the Hotel.
On the other hand we were not on the wrong side by not offering you something that was described in the Internet.Drinks as well as F&B program is clearly stated in the Hotel's page,for LowCostHolidays.
As far as the food is concerned,if you tell us the period nyou stayed here with us I can provide you with comments of our clients in our "Guest book"who definately have a different oppinion than yours.Nevertheless, yours is respected but it is not the general oppinion for the Hotel.
Now the fact of the Hotel having "nothing around" I must inform you that most of our guests choose Roseland excactly for that reason......
Thank you for your attention.
The Hotel Managment

Also consider these accommodations in or near Marmari
Summer Village Hotel
#6 of 15 in Marmari
Zeus Hotel
Zeus Hotel
#2 of 13 in Kefalos

Been to Roselands Hotel Bungalows? Share your experiences!