“Crazy bus drivers”

Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Baishan
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Reviewed 22 April 2014

This is a truly awesome place, like Crater Lake at a very high altitude. We went there in May and the lake was still partially frozen. The drivers of the bus that you have to take seem to take a perverse pleasure out of scaring the heck out of the visitors (you have to take the bus, private cars are not allowed). Other than that, a very interesting experience, so close to North Korea, so beautiful, definitely worth going to see.

2  Thank jimdeansmith
in 11 reviews
"summer"
"photographs"

Reviewed 15 March 2014

The top of the mountain hidden the heaven lake. I went there two times but only the first time I had a chance to fulfill the beauty of this lake. It was the beginning of May, snow started to melt. I could see the dark blue lake surrounding by the snow covered mountains. Stunning!!!! I have never seen anything more beautiful than this and that made me to go there again after years. However, I went there in August and it was raining. I could not see anything. Later I had a chance to talk to local people and he told me that you have to be lucky also to see this heaven lake.

3  Thank Patarida L
Reviewed 5 March 2014

From Changbaishan resort, we drove to the West park entrance, which is 40 or so kms from the slope of the crater. Insert muttering about industrial tourism here. Park and buy tickets for the bus. Gate fee 125 rmb. Bus fee another 85 rmb. Audible complaints about no winter rates. Where does the bus go? About halfway up. Then what? Buy more tickets to get to the top when you get there - another 100 rmb or so. Ugghhh!!! Said very loudly indeed.

Cheerlessly embarked bus and waited for it to slowly fill. Windows iced over so no views. Thankfully, no sound system on for commentary or music. Off bus at a bleak looking terminal point in the icy cold and not clear where to go next. Some skiing and sledding happening here, and snow mobiles. Entered the ski rental building and there is a huge map on the wall. While we tried to figure out what to do next, a man came in with a bleeding ear, staunched with toilet paper. What???

Managed to buy tickets for the next phase, and the kind supervisor started wrapping my scarf around my face and checking I was all bundled in. Then pointed us to the Snowmobiles. OH!!

Two of us on the back of one, heading straight up the slopes, we were so exhilarated and COLD. All muttering, complaining and objecting rued. Maybe 15 minutes and we transferred to another snowmobile - this time one on the back of each, for the steep last stage. Cloud closed in all around us.

At the end of the ride, a hut for refuge and some steps to the edge of the crater. We could only stay up there for 5 minutes at a time, as the wind was so strong and so cold. So, was the ear frost bite related? No view, but wisps of cloud lifted for perspective glimpses. Imagined we were Hilary and Tenzing for those five minutes. Retreat to hut. One more dash out to the top with camera already out and primed. Retreat. And back down, with hands that could barely hold anything.

Hot dumplings in the cafeteria at the bus stop level, dazed from the cold, but in awe of the conditions. Feet incredibly painfully returning to life.

NB: barely adequate clothing inventory: core - silk inner layer, merino thermals, 2 layers of fleece pants, cashmere sweater, micro fleece jacket, a Chicago-proof down coat. Extremities - microfleece neck wrap, ski face mask, cashmere sweater hood, fur hat, ear muffs, and down coat hood, 3 layers of gloves (inners, thermal, and thick fleece), ditto 3 layers of socks; hiking boots.

4  Thank UndercoverExpat
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I took a taxi from a nearby hotel to see Changbaishan from the northern slope. Beware of a scam where a taxi driver takes you to a shop house outside of the main gates and claims the clothes you are wearing are insufficient to go to the top of the mountain. I went 2 March 2014

In my instance I was with my 20 month old son, so I was airing on the side of caution. They put on these shin guards and gave us a cheap jacket for my son and charged us 150 RMB. I have never been to the mountain so I assumed we might need to hike through snow or something. But this is just a SCAM.

It is cold at the top of the mountain, but it's mostly from the wind. A face mask might be useful, but the items they had us "rent" were absolutely unnecessary. I assumed I would get part of the 150 RMB I gave them back as a deposit, but I was wrong....and it's clear the shop owners are aware of this rip from their reaction when I asked for money back.

My hotel Concierge took care of the issue when I returned to the hotel with my taxi driver, but better to avoid the situation all together.

Otherwise the park was awesome, there is a bus and a 4x4 vehicle to the top. Everything is well organized and kept up well. Bathrooms were the best public bathrooms I have seen in China.

8  Thank mattfs218
See more reviews
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Changbaishan was an amazing experience. We visited during the October holiday which I would not recommend as there were lots of visitors. Nevertheless, the area was incredible. The Glacier valley was incredibly scenic with beautiful fall colors, waterfalls, and hot springs. We went to the top to see the famed lake and were only provided a short glimpse due to the fog. The highlights were soaking our feet in the thermal springs. We had our lunch with our feet in these incredible hot spring pools. The sunken forest which is a large forest of trees in a valley was also beautiful.

4  Thank Meb132