“The great breakfast mystery”
Review of Amizette Inn

Amizette Inn
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We were excited to find an affordable place in Taos Ski area to get an early start on our Wheeler Peak hike the next day. We were greeted by the innkeeper and told breakfast the next morning would be at 7 AM sharp. We were really looking forward to it based on other travelers' reviews. Unfortunately, at 7 AM there was no breakfast or any other sign of life. At 7:10, a cat showed up, probably looking for his breakfast, too. One other pair of guests was also planning to hike Wheeler and was looking for breakfast at 7. Finally at 7:20 we gave up and raided our trail bar supply. Apart from the breakfast mystery, the room was clean but basic. The queen bed was shoved up into the corner, so one person had to sleep right against the wall and perform acrobatics to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Our window had a nice view over a little creek, but no screen, and the mosquitoes were bad enough we had to keep it closed, which led to the room's being uncomfortably warm. Finally, there was no coffee maker in the room, which wouldn’t have been a problem except for the breakfast snafu.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank donegal1

Reviewed 3 January 2014

My husband and I have stayed here twice now. They have a great selection for the breakfast menu which is free if you are staying here. Craig is the chef and he is fabulous. The whole staff goes out of their way to make your stay wonderful. Cassie and Linda have wonderful tips and advice for local sightseeing. Leticia, one of the waitresses, is very friendly. The rooms are cozy and warm. We love listening to the stream behind the inn in the evening. The buffalo burger and Dutch apple pie on the dinner menu are my favorites. We enjoyed watching the birds through the large window in the dinning room every morning. Amizette is only about 1 mile to the Taos ski valley. The location, food, elevation, and staff make this a must stay place.

Room Tip: They do allow dogs in certain rooms. The rooms are relatively quiet, but if you stay on the first f...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 August 2013

As a single Mom with not much extra money I wanted to do something nice for myself and was thrilled to find Amizette Inn and liked the fact that they would take one night's reservation. After calling to make a reservation with a deposit for a room for one night I noticed it hadn't cleared my account. I should have stopped there. Red flags everywhere...Instead I called back and we double checked the number which they had wrong. They reran it and it cleared so I knew I had a room. We left Texas later than expected and I called to let them know this and got a machine. When we got to the Amizette Inn there was a note on the lobby door with a phone number to call that was different than what I had found on the net and had made my reservation with (which once again got a machine). We were tired, it was late, we had driven 8 hours and they weren't answering the phone. We walk across the street and ask the Columbine Inn to call them to help us of which they have no luck. At this point I'm in tears, this is my birthday and they have ruined it. Where are they? What do we do now? We called at least 13 times of which NO ONE ever answered. We went into Taos with our dog at 10:30 pm to try to find a room with vacancy and that would take a dog. We ended up at the Days Inn which was a far cry from what I wanted to wake up to. I called the next morning and asked that they refund my deposit as they weren't avaliable for me to stay in my room. They said they would do it that day. This was all bad enough since today its been a week and I haven't received a refund. Then I called them yesterday and they told me they credited back my acount but it was to the wrong number again! I gave them the correct number and it still hasn't hit my account. The clincher is I just called and talked to Linda and she said I shouldn't insult them becuase they screwed up my reservation and she was through with me and hung up on me as they still have my deposit! I may contact the Better Business Bureau in Taos. NO apology, NO offer to make amends. I grew up in New Mexico and I'm ashamed if that is how they treat Texans! I'm saddened that I wanted to go home for a mountain fix and I got this! Wanted to warn others about my experience.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank Debbie C
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Extremely happy with my choice .There were many other hotels and bed and breakfasts to choose from in the Taos area. This was the perfect fit for my family. The room was very clean ,and the beds were comfortable.
The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The sound of the river just lulled me to sleep. I also loved the hummingbirds at the dining room window.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Wasn't quiet sure what to expect booking online but it was very nice. The staff was great and very helpful. We stayed in room #9 and it was very sweet. It was small but clean, quaint and overlooked the river on the backside of the Inn. We were able to sleep with the window open and enjoy the sounds of the stream at night plus the hummingbirds in the morning. The breakfast was good as well. The dining area looked over the river and you could watch all the hummingbirds at the feeders outside the window. Would definitely stay here again and highly recommend.

Room Tip: Would recommend #9. Great view and very peaceful.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2013

This review is for our second stay at Amizette. Room #9 is the best! It's on the second floor + looks directly down onto the river (if you keep the window open, you can sleep to river sounds all night). It's above the dining room/lobby area, so you do hear voices from downstairs; this was not a problem for me. Caution: room 9 has several random steps (e.g. one step up to bathroom; few steps down to common room). Room 9 has a queen bed + a small sleeping nook/loft tucked above a ladder. These are not luxe accommodations; blankets are old/frayed, towels have small rips, basic toiletries (shampoo + soap) but as long as it's clean, I'm happy. Breakfast likewise is very basic, portions small- breakfast burritos, omelettes, fried egg sandwiches, french toast, pancakes, etc. (you choose ONE). Average coffee + small selection of black/green teas. Loved the front desk staff; she was super friendly + helpful in suggesting local activities to do. Will happily stay here again, hopefully in room 9 again. Staying in the ski valley is a great bargain during the summer; 25 min from town, but Arroyo Seco is a great little town 15 min along the way.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We were booked to stay one night at this Bed and Breakfast in Taos Ski Valley, but by the time we arrived there we were so road weary that we immediately asked if ANYTHING was open there for the next night.... The owners/managers were so accommodating, they checked in with several people coming in for the next night and found one that would delay his arrival a day so that we could stay an extra night... Not only that but "Q" moved our considerable amount of luggage and stuff up the stairs to the loft we had for the second night's stay....
The breakfasts were unbelievable and we felt like family staying there... The location was perfect and the scenery gorgeous!!

Room Tip: We stayed in Unit 10 the first night and it has a lovely view of the trickling river below...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family