“Construction Alert”

Alpine Village Suites
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Taos Ski Valley
Reviewed 19 August 2014

First off understand that the entire ski valley is under construction so there is a lot of dust and a lot of noise. We knew this before our visit so this does not affect the rating i gave. Also we visited in the summer so only a fraction of the businesses were open whereas during actual ski season there may have been more to do. The hotel is in need of a makeover. The carpet is old a funky. The ceiling fan had to be turned off for fears of it crashing down on us. We rented the large loft and it had an upper level that was only accessible by a ladder so keep that in mind if you have small children. Also there is no staff after hours so if you lock yourself out... good luck! OK so nothing that hasn't already been written in other reviews .. The positive side is the valley is beautiful. There is a good sized creek that runs under the property and several miles down the 2 lane road leading in. There are awesome campgrounds everywhere. The folks in this mountain town were very friendly and we enjoyed spending the time there more than the actual hotel .. However, I must say the hotel was worth the price we paid. Hopefully the construction in the area will filter into a makeover for these suites.

Room Tip: I would stay clear of the 2 floor loft if you have small kids. The ladder going upstairs is dangero...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank CoolChristopher

Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I are enjoying our eighth vacation trip to the Alpine Village Suites. We come in the summer or fall to enjoy the cool temperatures of the mountains and the lovely accommodations at "our place in Taos." This year we brought our daughter and her family. They loved it and want to return next year.
There is a lot of construction going on in the Taos Ski Valley. New owner, new upgrades, new life. Sometimes it is a little noisy, but it is exciting to witness part of the upgrade of the village next to"our place."
We chose to linger a few days after the family left and downsized from the great condo to the king suite. Both are beautiful.
8 years and counting. That says a lot!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank gdminton
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We were really looking forward to spending some time in a peaceful mountain setting and thought this location would fit the bill. It had been several years since we had been able to take a vacation and were missing the Rocky Mountains, which had been our home for many years. Upon arrival, we discovered the Alpine Village Suites was in the middle of an active construction area and the main entrance was almost inaccessible. When we finally managed to get to the lobby and check in, we were greeted with casual indifference by the young woman behind the desk. Having lived in a resort town, we were familiar with this attitude and tried to make the best of the situation. We were informed no refunds would be given. Being good sports was not rewarded. Not only did the construction outside our balcony become progressively louder and more intrusive (to the point where the building was shaking) most of the staff acted as though they shouldn't be bothered with questions or even modest requests. For example, there was only one small bar of soap in the room, and when I asked for more, I was given one only with reluctance. When I mentioned the fact that our room didn't have a DVD player (more because I didn't want to be charged for it than because we wanted to watch DVDs), nothing was done. There were times when no one was staffing the desk, even around checkout time when we were having a great deal of trouble getting our car through the potentially dangerous construction zone to load our luggage. One would think the management and staff would make an effort to compensate for all of the disruption, but this was not the case. The single exception was Amber, who was actually nice the one morning I met and spoke to her. And the room, while nicely decorated, was small and not in the best condition (exposed nails from a missing baseboard, broken tiles around the fireplace, etc.). A disappointment overall.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank AudLT21
alpinesuites, Manager at Alpine Village Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Alpine Village Suites is open for business and we are endeavoring to please each and every guest who has chosen our hotel to visit this summer. We appreciate our guests and truly want all our guests to have the best experience that can be had. Taos Ski Valley is making base area improvements and we are all looking forward to the updated and improved facilities here at Taos Ski Valley. Go to the Taos Ski Valley web-site and check out just how beautiful our area will be when the construction is complete.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Taos was great, as always, we love Taos. The one star of shame goes to the Alpine Village Suites.
We drive up to the base of the ski mountain, and we can see fenced off areas everywhere, earth movers, bulldozers, huge cranes all moving about. Very loud, and there is no clear way into the area of the Alpine Village Suites. I see one sign which reads "Warning: Hard Hat Area." Really. I don't have a hard hat handy. One of the locals pointed us down a dirt road as the access point to the Alpine Village Suites. So, I proceed into an Active Construction Zone, passing by active bulldozers, and men wearing hard hats. We arrive at the main office for the Alpine Village Suites, and proceed to the front desk. We simply asked the young woman at the desk, "So, what's up with all the construction?" The immediate answer we received was "No Refunds." Really? This is how you greet your guests? I am caught without my hard hat, and we are met with rudeness in the first two seconds of our arrival? Challenge Accepted! I was curious to see how this very strange scenario would play out. Every morning at 7AM sharp the earth movers would fire up their engines, and the floor beneath us would rumble upon every pass of the massive machines. The 100 decibel horns that sound when the beast is backing up was our constant companion. I could feel and hear the earth movers even in the shower every morning as we planned our wonderful day in Taos. All four mornings of our stay we went downstairs to get some coffee which is right by the front desk. We heard the staff saying to guests over an over " It's not our fault" and "It's not my problem." Really? So, No Refunds, It's not our fault, and It's not my problem. Curious. As we were leaving the last day, I literally had to dodge a bulldozer on the way out of the Alpine Village Suites on my way to the main road, and I drove right past men wearing hard hats. Why was I not issued a hard hat?
Putting people in direct danger is not good business. Vacations are important to some people, and giving no warning that one will be staying in the middle of an Active Construction Zone is not good business. "No Refunds", "It's not our fault", and "It's not my problem." I never asked for a refund. It IS your fault for not closing your business for being in the middle of an Active Construction Zone, and now, it IS your problem.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Greg125

If you are planning on coming to Taos Ski Valley to enjoy the hiking, flora and fauna, you will not be disappointed. Once you leave the base area,( which is under construction) the majestic beauty of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains greets you and embraces you and fulfills your basic needs to be in the out of doors. We want to encourage people to look beyond the construction and get into the out of doors, enjoy a hike to Williams Lake or to New Mexico's highest summit, Wheeler Peak. The trail heads are within walking distance from our hotel, and we will do our very best to help you navigate through the parking areas. If you need an update or more information please give us a call, we want your experience here at Alpine Village Suites to be the best possible.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

The reviews I read had me to believe it was great but my thoughts are different! I walk in and it's a hide away bed in the wall will a table you have to move if you want to sleep. The twin bed loft is so high and steep you the kids ( 4 and 6) couldn't even get up or down! The deck is great but you have to share! Thank god I'm only staying one night!

• Stayed: August 2014

Our Loft Suites do have steep ladders as described on our web-site and shown in photos on our web-site also. We also explain to our clients that the ladders are steep and to take that into consideration. The deck is shared with a one bedroom loft suites and the majority of our guests think this is a real bonus. Lots of larger family's book both rooms and spread out, open the connecting doors, and make themselves right at home. It is also a great way to meet travelers. Someone with the same interests as you. Looking for an adventure in the mountains. This is one of our most popular rooms as the pricing is really great.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We have stayed here twice in the last month. It is fresh, has a friendly staff, wonderful rooms. Also, there is a restaurant, the Stray Dog Cantina, that has very easy going staff and good beer. We hiked Wheeler Peak (the highest in New Mexico) the first time, and brought the kids the second. Very nice horse back ride and fishing the second time. Also, the first time we stayed I left a very expensive watch in the room by accident and they very nicely found it and shipped it back to me the next day. Highly recommend for a stay in Taos ski valley.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cisca t
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This establishment is Deceptive. It should be Illegal To Mislead their guests You may want to Avoid this CONstruction site;
Tons and
Tons of Construction Nail guns ETC. At 5:45 PM. THE Road in was Terrible. I called the woman at the front desk twice before I booked the hotel and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WAS SAID ABOUT PARKING, CONSTRUCTION OR THE 1/4 mile walk. I'm sure glad we didn't have my HANDICAPPED son with us. THE LADY AT THE FRONT DESK SAID WE WOULD HAVE TO PARK OUR CAR 1/4 mile away and walk to our suite. My husband and I asked for a refund but were FLATLY DENIED. The lady at the desk said it's their policy. Well if it's THEIR POLICY TO BE DECEITFUL then I guess I missed that in the fine print.

Alpine Village Suites
100 Thunderbird Rd. PO Box 98
Taos Ski Valley,NM - 87525
United States
Phone: 800-576-2666
Fax: 575-776-8542

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Roadtrippers770
alpinesuites, Manager at Alpine Village Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Valued Guest,
Taos Ski Valley is doing a base area renovation, and while the construction crew does work during the week they are finished by 5:00 pm, as well; weekends are construction free. We are looking forward to a new and updated base area. Alpine Village Suites is not currently under any renovations or construction. The construction is being performed by Taos Ski Valley Inc. Parking is available to our guest in the main Taos Ski Valley parking lot. Our backdoor is accessed via a short walking path, the same walking path skiers use every day during our winter season. Our guest come to Taos Ski Valley during the summer to; hike, mountain bike, fish, and enjoy the beautiful mountains. Once you leave the base area the pristine mountain beauty still greets you.

Respectfully,

El Monte Sagrado
#2 of 15 in Taos
The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort
The Historic Taos Inn

Been to Alpine Village Suites? Share your experiences!