“If you only read one review, read this one -- do NOT waste your money!"”

Bel Air Int'l Airport Hotel Limited
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Piarco
Bel Air Int'l Airport Hotel Limited
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Piarco
Johannesburg, South Africa
“If you only read one review, read this one -- do NOT waste your money!"”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2010

Oh my goodness where to begin....? To start off with, my guidebook of Trinidad and Tobago did NOTHING to warn me of this place, by all accounts it sounded okay and the website doesn't really give much info. Well, I am here to give ya the 411, folks. This place is bad. Real bad.

I am NOT a picky traveller. Basic is fine with me. Spartan is dandy. But spartan AND dirty are not. Should have known something was up when we walked in the lobby and IMMEDIATELY smelled water damage -- really strong, like the place had been flooded or something. Got to our first room with carpet and unfortunately, the place smelled of urine and mold. My fiancee and I looked around in amazement and I said "Dude, this is like, border-line crackhouse".

Got out my handy-dandy guide book again and noticed that the hotel had been built in 1940. Well, yep. It was built in 1940 and has apparently had very little upkeep or updates since then. And trust you me, it was not 1940's in a cool, retro way. It was 1940's in a skank way.

So, we went back to the lobby and I tried to diplomatically say "Well, see-- our room smells off . Can we try a different one?" My fiancee broke in (never one to mince words) and said "quite honestly, it's horrible." We were then showed a pool-view room, which was marginally better, mostly due to the fact that there was tile in the room instead of carpet, which got rid of the pee/mold aroma. The mattresses were terrible, to put it plainly, but my fiancee and I did manage to sleep after a vigorous hike to Rio Seco waterfall and swim in the cascade pool below. Upon entering the lobby again later, I happened to notice that most of the ceiling looks like there has been significant swelling/water damage, and in some places looks like it might cave in. Another thing to keep in mind is that this hotel is very LITERALLY right next to the airport, like, right next to the runway. You get to hear the charming sounds of planes taking off every few minutes. Fortunately we had earplugs and a rattly air unit.

What's sad is that the staff is actually nice and were apologetic. They did try to accommodate me, in as much as could be done under the circumstances. What's also sad is this place could actually be retro-cool, if they gutted most of the interiors, kept some of the funky 40's fixtures (I mean, they still have metal umbrellas over the tables around the pool).

But what is an OUTRAGE is that all total, with taxes, I ended up paying around $185 US dollars for my one-night stay (fortunately no longer than that, and this was the low season, rainy August). I am used to getting NICE hotel rooms for LESS than that. I told my fiancee that they would be lucky if they got $15 for that room in the US. The fact that they can charge this and apparently have been doing so for some time, is absolutely ludicrous.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Spend the extra 50 or so bucks and stay at the Holiday Inn Express down the road. I believe that chain hotels like Holiday Inn have to follow a certain set of standards, whereas, clearly, the Bel Air does not!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
11 Thank WanderlustLeo

Families
Business
davmp
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2009

I am writing this review more than a year after my trip to Trinidad and Tabago (TNT). After cleaning out some clutter from the house, my wife came across a brochure for the Bel Air International Airport Hotel Limited. Shocking memories poured into my mind when I saw the brochure. I have visited and stayed in many third world countries, but this experience takes the cake. And on top of that, I just spent a year in South West Asia living out of trailers, bombed out buildings with dirt floors, in the cargo beds of pick-up trucks, you get the point, please don’t ask about my profession. Anyway, even after this past year, I still feel obligated to warn and advise my fellow world travelers. Stay away from this place.

Sure the people of TNT are a warm and welcoming bunch, but the business model of this place, is not. To sum up my experience without subjecting you to a verbose narration of all the events, allow me to use bullet points.

-checked in for two nights, standard room, double occupancy, $95 USD a night
-given key to room, found room, and found it to be disgusting
-bathroom, linoleum barely holding on to floor and ripped up (gravity holding it down)
-toilet and bathtub were “grimy” and barely cleaned
-wife and I stared at each other for a while in disbelief
-floors wooden, so you can hear people walking down hall way or just next door
-TV barely worked, it was probably older than me
-Furniture and carpet smelled like 20-year-old cigar smoke
-no out side windows to the room, just a window to the hallway

It was so late and my wife and I were so tired that we figured to stay one night and check out in the morning to switch to another hotel the next day. By the way, you cannot walk to anything from here if you are bored; you are isolated without a vehicle. So we decided to visit the hotel bar, drown ourselves in booze, forget about the dirty room and hopefully get through the night in a drunken stupor. The bar, with expensive watered down drinks was more disgusting than our room.

What really makes me most upset about my stay here was simply about money. We spent 95 US Dollars to stay in a place like that! You can get more bang for your buck and not worry about hygiene at many other hotels in the area. When we decided to check out the next morning, they were unable to refund us our money for the next night, stating that their cancellation policy is 72 hours in advance. Feasibly you could book a room for three nights, walk away from the front desk for five minutes, come back and attempt to cancel you reservation. But oh no, you can only cancel with three days notice, which makes you five minutes late from being able to cancel that last night. You just got punk’d, (where is Ashton)? We were out another 95, but we were not going to stay there another night. We took our losses, drove away and never looked back. Whatever you do my friends, don’t stay here unless there are no more hotel available on the island, or there are angry mobs rioting in the streets, or you are already super drunk and need a place to crash for an early flight. But just remember to book one night at a time.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
8 Thank davmp

Travellers are raving about these Piarco hotels

USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2009

Arrived midnight in Port of Spain airport and picked what looked like a shnazzy hotel 5 min from the airport. The web site is definitely misleading... place is somewhat grungy, bouncy floppy mattresses, only a Full size mattress (in double "superior room"!), sheets have been washed thin. I know a lot of people that would not be able to deal with this place. Oh... and we must be in the landing path of the airport b/c I just heard a plane rumble overhead.

If we had to do it again, would have been worthwhile to have gone into town even if it meant staying up a bit late.

Having said that, it does seem sanitary. There is free, high quality internet, and they did get their shuttle over to pick us up very quickly. And the staff was friendly and helpful.

• Liked — Close to airport. Internet connection.
  • Disliked — Grungy accomodations.
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank MarkGH
Also consider these accommodations in or near Piarco
Regent Star Hotel
Hilton Trinidad and Conference Centre
Palm's Hotel Trinidad
Palm's Hotel Trinidad
#10 of 21 in Port of Spain

Been to Bel Air Int'l Airport Hotel Limited? Share your experiences!