“Beautiful”

The Mytton and Mermaid Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Atcham
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Fantastic food,gorgeous rooms,beautiful setting!You can't fail to love this place.Close to Shrewsbury and Ironbridge.The perfect base for a weekend away and I would recommend it spring,summer,autumn or winter!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the river!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Simon J

Reviewed 15 June 2014

I was booked into this hotel by my company for one night. It looks fabulous and is in a wonderful setting with grounds down to the river Severn. It was a hot afternoon. I was in a room in the courtyard and it was truly horrible. Despite the heat, the room was dark, cold and smelled damp. An electric fire was situated under the dressing table, and believe me I had to use it, as the room really was freezing. The bathroom was terrible, with mould and rust around the base of the shower, which leaked from the tray, even when I'd finished showering. I came back from my meal to find the bathroom floor covered in water and had to pack two towels round the base of the shower tray to mop up the water.

I went for an evening meal and decided on the Shropshire platter which had two of my favourite things on it; Chicken liver parfait and ham hock terrine. The platter arrived and as I tucked in, I suddenly realised that neither of these things was on the platter! I called this to the attention of the waitress who said the chef must have forgotten them and went off to remedy this. She came back and said that actually there wasn't any of either, so they had put me two sausage roles on instead! Hardly a substitute. I did ask why, if the two main ingredients in the platter were not available, she had not come and told me this so I could choose an alternative; that is what would normally happen. I got no reply and by this time I was so hungry I ate some of what was on the platter, which was nothing like described on the menu. There were meant to be two cheeses, one local Shropshire blue and there was none of this either. The local butchers hand made pork pie slice also looked suspiciously like a very pink lattice top Pork Farms bought pie to me. A disaster really. To be fair, I was charged half price for the platter but this is just slack service, not to draw to the attention of the customer the fact that there are missing ingredients from a meal. I will be staying in Shrewsbury on business several times each year, but certainly not in this hotel. I still shudder when I think of that cold room and disgraceful bathroom.

Room Tip: Not in the courtyard. maybe rooms in the main house are better.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank saffronTheMidlands
Reviewed 4 June 2014

This is one of my favourite Hotels. The rooms in the older part of the building are my favourite although the staris can be a challenge.
The staff are friendly and helpful and the food consistantly tasty and pleasing.
I always enjpy eating here whether by the fire in the bar or in the dining room.
Breakfasts are particularly tasty.
This is definitely a hotel worth visiting i have brought Curious Travelers here many times.

Room Tip: The front rooms in the hotel itself are the best
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank sawrey
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The service in the reception of the hotel was sadly lacking, a touch of apathy when we checked in,and our bathroom had not been cleaned to the expected standard and when l
mentioned this to the reception staff they didn't even offer an apology! In fact they made no comments at all.
Also we were kept awake all night by a noisy television in an adjoining room, no apology
was offered for this either.
The restaurant was very busy, but service here not so bad, food average.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Heather7559
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I would just like to thank the staff at the Mytton & Mermaid for their wonderful attention to detail in accommodation, food & service during our stay there for our daughter's wedding - your hard work was much appreciated.

Many thanks, Julie & Gary Jackson

Room Tip: We booked the Attingham room 4 (superior room)
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Julie J
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Excellent evening meal as part of a mini break package. Had room 1, a superior suite, and was impressed with the size of the huge king size bed, large bath/shower, lovely chaise and real tea pot! Room 1visiting9 in the courtyard was significantly smaller with just a square shower. Great location for visiting Attingham....and Shrewsbury just a few minutes away.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Really slow service for some reasons feel the need to have three waitresses bringing out 3 plates of food and numerous times wondering around with food and not finding the tables. Men's toilets had hand towels lying around everywhere waited ages for drinks won't go again

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Shropshirehorse
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atcham
Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa
Albright Hussey Manor Hotel
#9 of 16 in Shrewsbury
The Lion Hotel Shrewsbury by Compass Hospitality
Holiday Inn Express Shrewsbury

Been to The Mytton and Mermaid Hotel? Share your experiences!