“Lovely mytton & mermaid”

The Mytton and Mermaid Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Atcham
Wirral, United Kingdom
“Lovely mytton & mermaid”
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

We Very nearly didn't stay reading the reviews, so glad we did!
What a fantastic building and lovely setting. The rooms we're great, and the food good too (good steaks !)
The hotel bar and restaurant had a great atmosphere and I loved the way it's furnished with odd tables benches and chairs! Stay ignore bad review !! It's a lovely old building lots if character !

Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Blackpool, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I've given the hotel a VG in this review despite the number of criticisms that I'll go on to point out.
Its biggest virtue by far is the setting followed by the staff and how polite friendly and professional they were.
Let Down factors:
Has often happens if you use these internet last minute late booking sites it appears they have the power to offer rooms cheaper than what the hotel direct can. So owners if your reading start giving your night staff room to compete if you have free rooms then let them go reasonably priced its better than empty rooms and not withstanding if there's no agents fee you'll make more money out of it.
Noise, at about 5 in the morning a couple in the next room had a mini domestic that woke me after that I struggled to get back to sleep.
Breakfast was pricey at £14.50 for a full English not exactly great value.
So you may ask why the VG with so many negative things pick?
I was given a single room with en-suite shower room. The shower was excellent powerful and stable complementary shower gel was provided however why leave bubble bath when there's no bath? Towels were fresh the bed was comfortable & clean.The room decor perhaps in the early stages of becoming tired but acceptable. The walls could be more substantial to prevent noise. Pricing and booking direct the manager on duty that night apologized for not being able to price the room the same as internet bookings but explained his hands were tied somewhat.
The room had a good sized TV and free WIFI. there was a welcome folder that went on to give a little history about the building, I found it quite interesting. Being as it was a Saturday breakfast was not usually served until 8 o'clock but I explained I needed to be on site in Shrewsbury by then so the staff asked chef if he'd make mine early and he did. Breakfast was fresh cooked to order and well presented there was a choice of cereals yoghurts fruit etc and plentiful tea or coffee offered. I was served by a young lady who was brilliant she went the extra to help me as did the manager the night before. I could tell that staff morale was good here so that's a massive plus point. Given that overall I paid £69.50 for room and breakfast it was good value for money but the separate breakfast price well not so good.
It's a shame I didn't have more time to enjoy the scenery around the hotel to be honest.
Overall not a bad hotel for me however room for improvement.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Sean R
Newcastle under lyme
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Fantastic food,gorgeous rooms,beautiful setting!You can't fail to love this place.Close to Shrewsbury and Ironbridge.The perfect base for a weekend away and I would recommend it spring,summer,autumn or winter!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the river!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Simon J
the midlands
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I was booked into this hotel by my company for one night. It looks fabulous and is in a wonderful setting with grounds down to the river Severn. It was a hot afternoon. I was in a room in the courtyard and it was truly horrible. Despite the heat, the room was dark, cold and smelled damp. An electric fire was situated under the dressing table, and believe me I had to use it, as the room really was freezing. The bathroom was terrible, with mould and rust around the base of the shower, which leaked from the tray, even when I'd finished showering. I came back from my meal to find the bathroom floor covered in water and had to pack two towels round the base of the shower tray to mop up the water.

I went for an evening meal and decided on the Shropshire platter which had two of my favourite things on it; Chicken liver parfait and ham hock terrine. The platter arrived and as I tucked in, I suddenly realised that neither of these things was on the platter! I called this to the attention of the waitress who said the chef must have forgotten them and went off to remedy this. She came back and said that actually there wasn't any of either, so they had put me two sausage roles on instead! Hardly a substitute. I did ask why, if the two main ingredients in the platter were not available, she had not come and told me this so I could choose an alternative; that is what would normally happen. I got no reply and by this time I was so hungry I ate some of what was on the platter, which was nothing like described on the menu. There were meant to be two cheeses, one local Shropshire blue and there was none of this either. The local butchers hand made pork pie slice also looked suspiciously like a very pink lattice top Pork Farms bought pie to me. A disaster really. To be fair, I was charged half price for the platter but this is just slack service, not to draw to the attention of the customer the fact that there are missing ingredients from a meal. I will be staying in Shrewsbury on business several times each year, but certainly not in this hotel. I still shudder when I think of that cold room and disgraceful bathroom.

Room Tip: Not in the courtyard. maybe rooms in the main house are better.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank saffronTheMidlands

Travellers are raving about these Atcham hotels

Cordes-sur-Ciel
Reviewed 4 June 2014

This is one of my favourite Hotels. The rooms in the older part of the building are my favourite although the staris can be a challenge.
The staff are friendly and helpful and the food consistantly tasty and pleasing.
I always enjpy eating here whether by the fire in the bar or in the dining room.
Breakfasts are particularly tasty.
This is definitely a hotel worth visiting i have brought Curious Travelers here many times.

Room Tip: The front rooms in the hotel itself are the best
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank sawrey
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The service in the reception of the hotel was sadly lacking, a touch of apathy when we checked in,and our bathroom had not been cleaned to the expected standard and when l
mentioned this to the reception staff they didn't even offer an apology! In fact they made no comments at all.
Also we were kept awake all night by a noisy television in an adjoining room, no apology
was offered for this either.
The restaurant was very busy, but service here not so bad, food average.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Heather7559
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I would just like to thank the staff at the Mytton & Mermaid for their wonderful attention to detail in accommodation, food & service during our stay there for our daughter's wedding - your hard work was much appreciated.

Many thanks, Julie & Gary Jackson

Room Tip: We booked the Attingham room 4 (superior room)
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Julie J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atcham
Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa
Rowton Castle
Rowton Castle
#1 of 1 in Halfway House
The Lion Hotel Shrewsbury by Compass Hospitality

Been to The Mytton and Mermaid Hotel? Share your experiences!