“Popular old coaching inn”

The Mytton and Mermaid Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Atcham
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Very busy pub on the banks of the river severn. Well located for the local area. Good service, good food. Room spacious and clean, good bed. Road noise could be an issue. No lift and a bit of a grubby trek up to the room.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 August 2014

The Mytton and Mermaid is a great traditional hotel in a lovely location only let down by the busy road it is adjacent to.
There is a large garden and seating area to the front, another to the side on the river banks and a very pleasant enclosed and covered courtyard to the side of the restaurant entrance. All these areas are pleasant places to relax and the road noise was not very noticeable, unlike when in our room.
The room my wife and I stayed in was comfortable though noisy as it was at the front facing the road. This would not be a problem if the room had AC but the windows had to be opened as it was very warm. So a tip is avoid rooms facing the road.
The bathroom was ok but we couldn't get the shower hot at all, no matter what we did with the control ( the wife suffering a cut hand when the knob fell off whilst trying).
The staff were excellent and a credit to the hotel.
The food in the restaurant was good to very good and brought at the right intervals between courses.
Overall I would recommend this hotel with only the road being a negative, oh and a little better dusting in the rooms would not go amiss.

Room Tip: Do not take a room facing the road.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Lovely tradtional hotel, welcoming staff, great bar area serving delicious seafood, outside seated area next to the river very romantic. Lots to do in the area, Stately Homes, walks and pubs worth a visit.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We have used the hotel quite a few times orders food and drink our friend received his drink and when asked for ours told it was on its way . It did 10 minutes later , food arrived 35 minutes later , don't mind waiting but it was only sandwiches, chips need to improve as they were quite soggy . Will try again ?

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank baylraf
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We visited for an early Dinner on Tuesday 5th August 2014.

I will pre-empt my review by stating that I have eaten here on many occasions before and, having working in the food service industry for 15 years, I don't complain lightly!

The Mytton is an "old favourite" as we have never had a bad meal/experience - until now.

In the past, the staff have always been immaculately turned out and clearly part of an team. Not today. Very disjointed and, dare I say, scruffy.

We asked for a table in the main restaurant, which was easily accommodated.

The menus came quickly - no sign of the vegetarian menu.

I ordered the Chicken Caesar and hubby had the Chicken Burger. We had a side of fries and onion rings. We had paid for the drinks at the bar and had a jug of water on the table.

Hubby was happy enough with his burger. However, that was it.

My salad was very poor. The chicken still had a its covering of fat which was flaccid and unpalatable. The bacon was all fat. There was the hard centre core of the little gem lettuce in the middle of salad. The tasteless dressing had been poured on to the leaves, which were very slimy. The were 2 shavings of parmesan. It was served with 3 small slices of garlic bread, which were stone cold and rock hard.

The sides : the chips were very uncooked (they looked as though they had not even seen the fryer), cold and tasted nasty. The onion rings, though hot, tasted of nothing at all.

We were not courtesy checked at any point until the waitress came to clear the plates and there was no-one on the "floor" to complain to prior to that.

Needless to say, I left most of my meal.

I pointed out the problems to the waitress. She promptly asked if we would like dessert!!!!! I asked for the bill.

When the bill came I was advised that, because of the problems, we had not be charged for the side dishes. However, we had been charged for 2 drinks and coffee - none of which we had had.

Bill finally sorted, we left - we shall not be returning any time soon and certainly will not continue to recommend the venue.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I stayed here while away with work in July and bought that the hotel and restaurant was very beautiful, the bar area had a lovely rustic feel to it.

I ate in the restaurant on the evening and had the chicken causer but was put off straight away as my chicken had a big bone in it but the waiter apologized and brought me a big bowl of fruit to apologize which was a nice touch

The room was nice and I really liked the tea and coffee making appliances, loose leaf tea was a nice teat and also hot chocolate and lots of flavours of tea and coffee.

The bathroom needed updating as it was looking quite old and looked a bit dirty although I did think this was just because it looked old as opposed to being actually dirty.

The only main let down of this hotel was that my room was right next to the courtyard and my room had a large window which was right next to a sofa in the courtyard and there were three of members of staff that were sat on the sofas until approximately 1am playing videos in their mobiles and laughing and talking quite loudly, now to say that only residents are meant to be in this area after 10pm this wasn't very appropriate.

I would stay again at this hotel as it had a lovely feel to it and very comfy bed!! Just a shame about the noisy staff

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Super place with nice Bar and Restaurant.
The rooms in the main building are reached via steep stairs with fire doors immediately at the after the last step.
However if access is a problem there are courtyard rooms available.
The rooms were comfortable and large with all the expected facilities.

Room Tip: If climbing stairs is a problem ensure that the hotel is informed at the time of the booking in orde...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atcham
Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa
Albright Hussey Manor Hotel
#8 of 16 in Shrewsbury
The Lion Hotel Shrewsbury by Compass Hospitality
Holiday Inn Express Shrewsbury

Been to The Mytton and Mermaid Hotel? Share your experiences!