“A place to feel welcome and relaxed”
Review of Soulton Hall

Soulton Hall
Ranked #3 of 4 Wem B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I'll echo what others have said about Soulton Hall being charming. My husband and I took his recently-widowed sister there for a chance to get away and relax. We were all enchanted by Soulton Hall--the rich, inviting interior and great service. I wish the food hadn't been so good, though! The weather was dismal, which gave us more opportunity to kick back in the front room and bar area and feel warm and snug. We did get out during breaks in the rain and wander the gardens, which are casual. We tried to drive down the long lane to see the bluebells as we were leaving, but a small tree had fallen and we couldn't move it, so we missed that opportunity, but we did get a feel for the beauty of the natural woods. Tim, the son of the proprietors, was in charge during our stay. He is gracious and made us feel welcome. We enjoyed chatting with him. The rooms are beautiful with as many historic elements left intact as possible. Days later, my sister-in-law was still rhapsodic over our stay.

Room Tip: Room with four-poster bed is very nice (I think it was Hill room)
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Soulton Hall

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We recently married at Soulton Hall and yes, whilst we were blessed with the hottest day of the year so far, we really did choose the most perfect venue. The family have recently finished the refurbishment works on the Moot Hall so we were fortunate enough to be only the 2nd couple to marry in there since this work has been completed.

We exclusively hired the hall for the weekend and enjoyed drinks in the bar/lounge on Friday evening, which was a fabulous way of allowing our families to relax into the weekend celebrations.

The owners like you to 'live like you are at home' and are busy getting on with all the chores attached to maintaining such a beautiful and historic building as Soulton. That said, they were always on hand when necessary.

Our wedding day went without hitch (apart from the intentional one!) Food and drink was served as agreed, and our guests were very complimentary about the food choices. It is always difficult trying to cater to a group of people given individual needs however, being wheat and gluten intolerant, the owners ensured the food was tailored around my needs - which ticked a few boxes with some of our guests also!

The grounds are stunning and whilst the majority of the land is used for farming, there are so many beautiful places to capture your perfect wedding day shots around the Hall.

For us, it was really important that our wedding was a relaxed and informal affair and we believe that because of this, Soulton was exactly the right choice. We found all the staff to be incredibly professional, friendly and genuine - in particular - Tim & Sue - where nothing was too much trouble.

We will definitely be revisiting Soulton Hall again, and wish the team there every continued success for the future.

Room Tip: Rooms in the Hall - we used the 'Hill' Room as our Bridal Suite
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank amy g
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I had taken my grandma there for her 80th birthday. We turned up in the front drive of the hall she could not believe her eyes!! It was amazing!!!
Soulton hall is a charming & a historic place. The staff are so friendly & helpful too. We had stayed in the deakin room, I couldn't believe it when we walked in, how big & spacious the rooms were with the original fire place in!! We had a 5 course meal on the night! Again the food was out of this world!! Breakfast was amazing too!! Also it's not far from Wem a little village that has a few shops & also Shrewsbury town is also near by. It was worth every penny!! I COMPLETELY recommend Soulton Hall. I'm already thinking about my next visit!!

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Bekstar92
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We were a party of 20 friends and we booked all four cottages in the grounds of Soulton Hall for the May Bank Holiday weekend. What a fabulous location! I was fortunate enough to be in Keeper's Cottage in the middle of the bluebell wood - with the bluebells in full bloom - it was just magical. I highly recommend it - lovely views and lots of local wildlife, including a fabulous golden pheasant.
We had an evening meal for 20 in the private dining room in Soulton Court and the food was of a very high standard - all local produce and quite delicious. The owners were very friendly and helpful, responding to our needs and requests very positively, enhancing our stay. The grounds and the main building were beautiful and full of atmosphere and history. I would highly recommend a stay at Soulton Hall.

Room Tip: Keeper's Cottage is in a magical woodland location.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sue B
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Overpriced even extortionate and not what it claims!
I was looking for a romantic, characterful and historic place to stay. I paid a hefty price for one of the rooms in the hall 'Barnet'. Historic yes but also run down and tired looking. Do NOT go by the pictures on the website or in the brochure. In reality Soulton Hall is nothing like how it is depicted. On the site the rooms look amazing and this is not reality. A point to note is that the bed was small length wise. I am 5'4 and my feet touched the footboard.
You are led to believe that the grounds are breathtaking and you will be able to walk for miles. The grounds immediately around the hall had not been tended as well as they should. In the pictures the grass is cut and well maintained but again in reality the grounds are overgrown. Much of the land is farmland as you'd expect butt his means that it is not easy to walk around as it is mainly fields - overgrown grass and nettles. There is a wood which you walk along a track to but really the wood was just okay.
The family that run the place were pleasant but a little awkward and unprofessional The food was disappointing. When you read the menu you will expect fine dining and this it was not! They let us into a small bar area 30 minutes before we were to sit down for dinner and there was hardly any choice drink.
The AA have recommended this place and god knows why. This is the first review I have ever written but I feel so strongly that people are being deceived by the website and brochure. It was so overpriced. I read the reviews and saw the overall score and thought if would be a lovely place to stay and I just feel cheated.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Tarsilla74
Reviewed 8 April 2014

For those interested in British history, this house is a dream! The property has a fascinating history - enthusiastically shared by the owners. The room we had was spacious, the bed extremely comfortable, and the well-appointed rooms have not been over-modernized, lending a truly historic ambience to the house. The Ashton family were very friendly and happy to share stories about the house and farm, as well as travel advice for the surrounding area. We enjoyed refreshing walks in the adjoining fields, and couldn't have had a more enjoyable stay!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SteveJackieL
Reviewed 2 April 2014

If you love history and peaceful surroundings this is the place for you. If you want a modernised corporate feel historic country hotel, then this is not the place for you. This is a family owned elizabethan era hotel attached to an arable farm. We spent an extremily pleasant 3 nights at Soulton. We found the Ashton family to be very attentive, pleasant, competent and interesting in all aspects. Pretentious and self focused people will not be comfortable there and quite rightly so! Our room was very large, very comfortable, very historic. The evening meals are served in the dining room only illuminated by candlelight, very atmospheric and a trip back in time. We trust that the Ashton family will long continue and prosper in their already centuries long stewardship of Soulton Hall!

Room Tip: Historic rooms in main house. Modern rooms in annex. Hill is a good room in the main house.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Alan60ht
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wem
Old Rectory Hotel
Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa
Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa
Pen-y-Dyffryn Country Hotel
Willington Lodge
Willington Lodge
#1 of 10 in Whitchurch
Abbey Green Farm bed & Breakfast

Been to Soulton Hall? Share your experiences!