“A Georgian Gem”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wem
Stafford, United Kingdom
“A Georgian Gem”
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We took advantage of a Living Social deal to take a short break at this, which is not that far from where we live. The hotel is located just on the outskirts of Wem, a small pleasant Shropshire town but with not much of interest. The hotel is approached by a short drive through very attractive and well kept grounds. Reception was efficient, friendly and welcoming. Our room (No3) was very clean, well equipped and furnished in keeping with a Georgean rectory. The hotel only has 15 rooms but despite that has an excellent kitchen. We thought the food particularly good. The menu was fairly limited but had enough choice to satisfy most tastes. Breakfast had a good range on the buffet table, including fresh half grapefruits which I haven't seen in a long while and this was followed by the usual range of full English breakfast cooked items. We felt very relaxed in this friendly and clean hotel so it was ideal for a short break. Checkout was efficient and we were given a voucher for a return visit on the same terms as the deal we were on - good marketing. I have noted some negative comments from other reviewers but can't agree re service, professionalism etc. Obviously my comments refer to the room we stayed in. We will cetainly return.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Wycherly? room (3) cost a £10 supplement but worth it.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I booked a night in this hotel as I was meeting my boyfriend during a John O'Groats to Lands End cycle ride. The staff on duty were really friendly and helped us enormously by drying his soaking wet coat and trainers overnight and making us up a breakfast tray for when we left at 5am the next morning. The room was great too. Excellent value and service all round.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2013

This parochial little hotel needs to get the basics right before it can claim to be “a real haven of comfort and style”. The room we were given was not the one we had booked – and strangely a photo of the room we had is not on their website – maybe because it doesn’t fit the image they are trying to portray. Frayed towels, stained carpet, curtains that don’t close properly, polyester duvet covers, a lumpy mattress, a view over the overflow car park … nothing comfortable or stylish there.
The hotel manager is both unprofessional and discourteous – other reviewers have correctly commented that her customer service leaves a lot to be desired. Her view was that the mix up in my booking was my fault as I had used a hotel booking website rather than the hotel’s own – and that I could get a discount, but I would have to arrange it myself with the website I had booked with. In fact, the terms of that website are that the bill is paid directly to the hotel. I see that other reviewers have also had problems with their bookings, and some had booked directly with the Old Rectory …
If you are running the only hotel in a town miles from anywhere, I suppose that you can believe your establishment is something special. Hopefully there are some discerning potential guests out there who will also see this place for what it really is.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank NJT1000
UK
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I stayed one night in a single room when visiting a friend.
The hotel grounds are simply beautiful, huge granite water feature as you arrive, lots of crunchy gravel as befitting a big house immaculate lawns and majestic mature specimen trees.
If you think Downton Abbey on a much smaller scale that's the atmosphere.
Very friendly staff, everywhere clean and although there is obvious restoration going on to a wing it is far enough away not to be intrusive.
I was a little disappointed by the actual size of the room, it did feel cramped, especially with the dressing table and mirror in front of the window making it impossible for me at five foot two to reach past it to open the sash window, but a call downstairs had a friendly chap open it for me.
The bathroom was very clean and lots of thought had gone into providing cotton buds, toiletries and a nice tea tray.
My curtains closed well effectively cutting out light and noise, but when I got into bed I was really uncomfortable. The mattress had ridges in that could be felt as lumps and the duvet was of material that had bobbles of cotton forming, so scratchy over me and lumpy under.. I woke numerous times due to this and really I think accommodation providers should occasionally test sleep their own beds, then this wouldn't occur.
Next morning feeling shattered I was served a really nice breakfast with fresh fruit salad, yoghurt, cereal, cooked hot choices and even gluten free toast.
Initially I rated this hotel as average because of the bed problems, but to be fair everything else was very good. I hope the owners' check the single room and really that mattress needs replacing... and some better bedding as it was obviously quite used.
Would I stay there again , probably not, but as a venue for a small to middle sized wedding it would be hard to beat. The setting alone for photographs is simply stunning..

Room Tip: Ask for a double..
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for one night on a special Facebook deal over the bank holiday for £85 which included one night stay and a two course Sunday dinner. It is a gorgeous old Manor house, set in lovely grounds. The staff are so nice and professional - nothing is too much trouble and the bedrooms are immaculate. Food was excellent - we decided to extend to three courses - and were absolutely stuffed! Loved our stay and would definitely return.

• Stayed May 2013
Colwyn Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Made very welcome by pleasant staff. Hotel is very clean and well appointed. It certainly lived up to our expectations and we were not disappointed. We ate in only on one night. The food was well-presented and there was a good choice. The wine list, though, was fairly limited in scope. The hotel is on the edge of the town which is in walking distance - Wem itself is a useful place to stay to explore the northern part of Shropshire.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Philip365
Nantwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2013

This is a retrospective review as we had a 2 night stay here in February 2013 on a 'Groupon' offer. We found the hotel to be very welcoming & comfortable with good service. Our offer included an afternoon tea + glass of Prosecco which was taken in the comfortable sitting room & was very pleasant.
The room was well decorated with co-ordinated soft furnishings & the bed very comfortable. Nice bathroom + good shower. We had a minor problem with the heating in our room & the staff were extremely helpful in sorting out the problem immediately.
The breakfasts were great with good choice of both hot & cold items.
We would recommend this hotel & we will be returning later in the year on an offer given by the hotel.
Easy access to Iron Bridge & Shrewsbury which are both well worth a visit.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GordonGirona123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wem
Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa
#3 of 6 in Oswestry
The Inn at Grinshill
The Inn at Grinshill
#1 of 1 in Grinshill

Been to Old Rectory Hotel? Share your experiences!