“Promised much, delivered average”

Hawkstone Park Hotel
Reviewed 24 August 2013

I arrived with my family in anticipation of a stay in a great hotel. We had requested a suite, as in the past, suites have always delivered that "something special" to a break. (Opting for this over the Premier Inn down the road).
On arrival, the young receptionist was blunt, after eventually prizing herself away from the phone.
We were given vague directions to our room and sent on our way.
The hotel itself, is a great venue. I can see the pull for wedding receptions and parties.
However, the room itself is the old adage of mutton and lamb.
The room was clean, but a little run down.
The four poster bed was more of an annoyance than a feature.
Admittedly there were 2 TVs, but they only receive 7 channels of the hundreds available in the UK today.
The bathroom was clean, but old.
And the tea/coffee facility was very limited.
After an uncomfortable nights sleep for myself (everyone else slept soundly) we headed to breakfast, and it was as though I had woken up ion a completely different hotel.
The service was exemplary, the array of food was stupendous, and, what appeared to be a locally produced cooked breakfast was delivered to my table, hot and in a timely manner. This was divine.
On checking out, the receptionist was attentive, friendly and knowledgeable of the local area.
What a shame it's the first impressions that count.
3.5 out of 5 would be my overall rating. Good, not very good.

Room Tip: Save yourself the money. Get a standard room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Alpha2one
lizt931, Guest Relations Manager at Hawkstone Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

We very much appreciate your feedback and we are glad you were able to depart on a high note!

There are newer reviews for Hawkstone Park Hotel

Reviewed 31 July 2013

I think I've only ever left 2 negative trip advisor reviews which underlines how bad this experience was. We visited the hotel as part of a group of 7. The alarm bells should have been going off for me in advance of the trip as I contacted the hotel by email on the 1st July to allocate rooms for my guests and pre-book golf however I did not get a reply.

We got to the hotel after a 6 hour drive and were given forms to complete for our rooms. We were not offered any assistance to take our bags to our rooms and neither we were shown the way, we were merely pointed in the general direction. Two of our party had golf clubs and asked if they could store them, again no assistance was offered, they were simply given a key for the store.

We were then handed a form to make our choices for dinner which seemed a little excessive for only 7 people however we conceded that we would pre-order and returned our completed forms by 6pm. We arrived for dinner at 7:45pm and were instantly given our starters – we were not offered drinks and had to go to the bar to order a couple bottles of wine. We had to ask our waiter to change the dirty glasses which welcomed us at the table. The starters were good and we actually only had a complaint about the food when it came to the mains. Our mains were delivered before 8pm – one of my guests felt her chicken had been boiled and never ate most of it. Two of us had the sirloin and it did not taste right either. I asked for a peppercorn sauce and was given a jug of the sauce that the beef came with. The meals were edible however we left a great deal of waste and were surprised that the waiter didn’t ask if there was a problem. We asked for coffee and were disappointed, however by this point not surprised, to hear the coffee machine was broken and we were offered instant instead. Even though we had 3 courses we were out of the restaurant by 8:35pm.

Breakfast was the next debacle. The food was fine however when I asked to sign for the bill the lady said it would all be sorted out automatically. This seemed strange to me as I didn’t know how the waitress would decipher which of the 4 rooms had cooked and which had continental breakfasts however it soon became clear when all 4 rooms had 2 cooked breakfasts on the bill each day even though there was 1 room with single occupancy!! Suffice to say we went out for dinner on the 2nd evening and only 3 of 7 returned for breakfast the following day.

I would avoid this hotel and certainly won't be back!

Room Tip: Suite was a waste of money upgrading!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank cdmartin
lizt931, Guest Relations Manager at Hawkstone Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

We are a friendly 3 star hotel in a peaceful and beautiful parkland setting and are very sorry that during your stay we did not meet with your expectations.

Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

From the moment we arrived the customer service was outstanding. The staff couldn't do more for us.

Golf course was great although buggies for non members was expensive at £30.

The evening meals and breakfast were great too. Full English breakfast and 3 course evening meals which caters for all.

• Stayed: July 2013
lizt931, Guest Relations Manager at Hawkstone Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2013

So glad you enjoyed your stay with us, we really appreciate your great feedback concerning Hawkstone Park Hotel.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

A group of us stayed here for a wedding nearby and, after being in SE Asia recently, it was a disappointment to be honest. the decor is tired and needs a major refresh but I suspect that the availibility of a good golf course helps them get away with that for golfing types. Despite what others say the quality of the breakfast food was very good and replaced regularly which is important as places can stint on quality of ingredients too often. For over £100 a night for a room for two people in the Midlands (and it wasn't full) it was not worth themoney to be honest although it could have been good.

Room Tip: Probably not much choice in the area and fine if you want the golf.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
lizt931, Guest Relations Manager at Hawkstone Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2013

Dear Guest
Our golfing customers are of course important to us but we aim to ensure that we provide a quality experience for all our valued guests. I am glad that you enjoyed your breakfast. With regard to our rates, these do vary depending on the time of the year and whether you stay mid week or weekend. Thank you for your feedback.
Kind regards
Liz Tiernan

Reviewed 22 June 2013

Stopped here for a wedding, it’s a pleasant hotel with golf course attached. Nice walks in the grounds. The room we had was good, not huge on size but clean and had everything we needed. The staff were helpful. Breakfast was a little disappointing, the usual hot buffet style which was OK but nothing special.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Dear guest
Thank you for your feedback which is appreciated. We hope to be able to welcome you back on a future occasion.
Kind regards
Liz Tiernan

Reviewed 18 June 2013

I went to Hawkstone with a group of 23 others to play golf over a long weekend, I have been there before but thought that I would have a look at tripadvisor first. The reports that I read made me worry that things were not going to any good at all, so I was very happily surprised to find that most of what I had read was probably sour grapes or something like that.
All our group had a great time, the golf courses are in very good condition and playing well, the staff are very helpful and cheerful, the rooms are clean, tidy and in my opinion very adequate.
It is a really good golf venue but the Hotel is a bit tired and the WiFi did not work but considering the deal we had I believe it would be extremely difficult to beat it.
Everybody will have to make up there own thoughts on the reviews but I think Hawkstone is great.
Cheers from Tim Bullock

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Hawkstone, General Manager at Hawkstone Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2013

Dear Mr Bullock

thanks for the great feedback about Hawkstone Park Hotel and Golf. Both courses are playing really well and the team are proud of that and the friendly service we deliver.

Sorry about the wifi, it is being looked at by our service provider right now.

We look forward to seeing you again

David Sims

Reviewed 15 June 2013

Hotel appears tired and dated, especially the bar area. The evening meal was surprisingly good though breakfast was poor, as usually with buffet breakfast everything cooked and put out at 7am and kept hot all morning! I didn't like the new club house, big open space with no atmosphere, not comfortable and the food expensive and poor. The hawstone golf course was great and the surrounding scenery was stunning. Played two rounds of golf and never lost a ball. Not so keen on the championship course, the front nine is squashed in with balls coming from all directions, the rough was way to long and it was a re-load every time you went off the fairway, hence managed to loose 4 golf balls in 18 holes!! We had a good laugh but the hotel bar was a let down with no chance of going elsewhere for a drink as the complex is in the middle of nowhere

Stayed: June 2013

Dear guest,

thanks for taking the time to review us and passing on your views. We will take on your point about breakfast. The Hawkstone course is beautiful and i'm pleased you enjoyed it. The Championship course is set to be more challenging which it appears it was.

It would be nice to see you again

kind regards

David Sims

Also consider these accommodations in or near Weston-under-Redcastle
Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa
The Lion Hotel Shrewsbury by Compass Hospitality
Prince Rupert Hotel
Prince Rupert Hotel
#5 of 16 in Shrewsbury

Been to Hawkstone Park Hotel? Share your experiences!