See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 20 November 2016

I stayed for 1 night back in October and had the whole place to myself as there was no other visitors.

Staffs are really really helpful - when I just arrived, the owner (I believe she is Kyoko-san) assisted me with directions and make sure I was properly settled down.

I've never tried walking in the street while wearing the yukata so I decided to do just that in the evening for some fun and experience. On my way out, she specially went to bring me a traditional coat to wear over the yukata so I would be warm in the cold weather.

Special mention to her daughter too, for she saved me from my luggage woes.
I used the luggage delivery service (takkyubin) back in Osaka to send my baggage over to my lodging in Takayama and one should always select motobarai. ie prepayment so the the recipient bears no charges.

However I didn't know better and selected the other option called chakubarai (cash on delivery) so the lodging receiving the baggage has to pay for me! That's a boo boo in Japan. Thankfully her daughter made a few calls explaining my situation to the Takayama lodging to accept the delivery, otherwise I would have luggage-less should the delivery be rejected.

Thank you Kyoko-san and to your daughter for the hospitality and the excellent service rendered. I would certainly stay here again.

Room was perfect - clean, big and cosy for a solo traveller.
There's a sink in your room to washup/brush your teeth and the toilet is outside along the common corridor.

What i like most - everything!
What i like least - none

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank sshao_3047
Reviewed 4 August 2016

I, my wife and 2 kids stayed one night in this Ryokan on the way back to Tokyo from Kyoto / Osaka in our summer holiday. The owner of the hotel is a nice Lady, she assisted us when we asked for direction where to go in town.

The ryokan is very clean, nicely designed and well kept. It has a small Onsen which can be used privately for families. They provided a good quality futons for the four of us. The location of this ryokan is near the river's swimming location and stream where you could feed koi. We loved our stay in this Ryokan and we certainly recommend this place to other travelers.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank Wendah M
Reviewed 14 October 2015

We stayed one night in this small friendly little Ryokan.

We arrived late into Gujo. The parking is not on-site. They will give you a little map to show you where you can park. Note this is a public car park that you pay for on exit.
The staff will give you money when you check out to pay for the car park.

Not much English is spoken by the staff but they had maps for you.

The Ryokan over all was very clean and the public bath as very nice, clean and comfortable.
Rooms where basic with no toilet in the room but each room had a small sink to wash your hands/face/teeth in. Nothing we did not expect for a Ryokan.
The public facilities where all every clean and well maintained.

The room was clean and comfortable. They serve a nice breakfast in your room.
They served a lot of dishes for breakfast quite a filling meal.

The Ryokan is a little bit of a walk from the main street/tourist sights. I don't feel this was a bad thing you get to see the nice river in town and its honestly a short walk to anything in Gujo town.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank brendanhoranhk
Reviewed 11 July 2013

This is a very special ryokan. The place is not big and is carefuly designed combining old wood with new. It looks like a place that was designed and maintained with utmost care. The owner is a very nice lady and it feels very welcoming. It located in the middle of the old part of the city close to restaurants. Breakfast in the room was delicious. The real japanese experience. Warmly recommend.

Room Tip: In japan stay at ryokans if you can afford them. Not all are expensive.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank OferB
Reviewed 15 November 2011

I spent 7 nights in Ryokan Nakashimaya where I was very warmly welcomed. I was a lone female travaler. The inn was ran by a very sweet woman about my age (mid 50's) and her grown daughter. I had the inn to myself all week, til the week-end, when it filled up. My room was tucked away upstairs and it did not share walls with any other room. I had my own sink, and the toilets were just down the hall a bit. The baths were lovely, a river stone bath that I really loved, and a cypress wooden tub with cypress walls that smelled wonderful!

This ryokan did not serve any meals, but I did not mind that. There were dozens of tiny restaurants all within a very close walk.

Even though this ryokan is on the main road in Gugo Hachiman, once you enter the inn, it is extremely quiet. The walls must be really thick!

My futon had a very thick, plush goose-down comforter, but the futon itself was rather hard! The tea service and local cinnamon candy was served daily and my fresh flowers were changed daily!

The innkeeper and her daughter spoke more English than I expected. Certainly more English than I was capable of speaking Japanese.!

I was allowed the come and go as I wished, stay in my room as much as I wished, and the front doors were never locked.

I recommend this inn!