“Lovely Birthday Treat”

Home Place Farmhouse Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Challacombe
Reviewed 14 March 2013

This place is a hidden gem, its tucked away in a quiet Exmoor valley yet where you don't expect to find a spa! I was taken here by my daughters for my birthday and we had our own cottage where the lovely, friendly owner served us dinner on our first night, the food was lovely and homemade. We all had treatments on the Saturday and loved them all. The spa was beautiful and clean and really quiet as the place is so small it never became busy. I've already booked to come back with my husband for a walking weekend - and a massage for me!

Room Tip: Go for the dinner one night so you don't have to go out
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Rosita A
There are newer reviews for Home Place Farmhouse Spa

Reviewed 14 March 2013

I've just returned from a wonderful weekend with a couple of friends. Its a really special place, tucked away from it all. It was great for the 3 of us to be able to share a cottage where we could all eat and relax together (although its all too tempting to go to the local pub every night as the food's so good!). We also enjoyed using the spa which has been designed to reflect the rural atmosphere and one of my friends had a massage which she said was really good. In all a really relaxing, laid back break.

Room Tip: Book the standard package to arrive to made up beds and a breakfast pack.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Valerie H
Reviewed 28 January 2013

I tried to review this spa previously but for some reason it only printed the first few lines so I am re reviewing it with the full details.I was taken to this spa as a treat for recovering from an illness by a good friend. However - what we were expecting and what awaited us were two different things entirely!On arrival we were greeted after a long while of wandering around while by a woman with towels who said we would be able to use the facilites onc she had given us the code to the barn in which the spa is situated. Basically the Home Farm spa is on a courtyard with outhouses which are cottages next to a barn that has been converted to a spa - ie 2 treatment rooms downstairs and a pool upstairs with sauna. At first we were struck by the quiet and all looked promising as location wise you are in silence whic is great for a spa.It went down hill from there. The cottages are cold and in need an update - the photos of which have been kind to the decor. They are not particularly comfortable as the furniture needs updating and there is a rule that you have to leave the cottage as you found it the next morning which on a spa break contradicts with the relaxation as you then spend all morning cleaning and stripping the beds and taking out the rubbish etc. The 'spa' consists of a small pool in which you swim against a current and has water jets - however, once we got into the pool we realised that the pool had an orange scum line, had thick dirt around the vents and then to my horror we found two large rabbit sized hairballs floating around the bottom of the pool. As I was recovering from an illness I had hoped for hygiene!We had booked a rasul 'treatment' - the lady we had met earlier turned up and unceremoniously dumped a bucket of mud on the floor by the sauna and said we were to put it on eachother - hardly a 'treatment'!My friend and I laughed it off and applied our own mud and then went to sit in the sauna were we were to sweat it out and then await a cold shower to wash off the mud, Again the sauna was dirty with thich orange (bodyfat) stuck to the walls and the seat and shower head and there was mud from the previous users of the spa which hadnt been washed away In addition to this your use of the spa area is restricted so you only get a small amount of time in there. All in all an unsatisfactory Spa experience. I wasnt suprised to find that the spa is used for certain activities when I looked ino it on a few other websites! Don't bother!

Room Tip: The cottages are cold and outdated - take as many home comforts as you can if you still intend to go...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank woolacombelocal
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Just got home from a lovely relaxing weekend at this retreat. The cottage itself was warm and homely, and had all you would need. The only thing that we forgot to take that wasn't available was a hair dryer. The spa facilities were very pleasant and close to the cottage. There is only a short walk to the local pub, which provided excellent food. Just a shame we couldn't stay any longer. All in all a fantastic break away from it all (even better with no phone signals) thank you Sarah!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Samm M
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Me and 5 friends booked the Lake Cottage which sleeps 6 for my Hen do last weekend. We were welcomed by Sarah who was very friendly and showed us around the cottage and spa.

The cottage was lovely, clean and cosy, with everything you need for a weekend away. We even had a bench outside the front garden which was great for lunching in the sun! The spa was lovely and peaceful and we all had a relaxing time in the jacuzzi and steam rooms. We all said how great our treatments were which left us feeling refreshed and relaxed for the rest of the day. The sun was even out and we took our towels on the grass out the back and had a cheeky sunbathe!

The location is amazing. So peaceful and fresh. A few of us went for a walk across the little bridge opposite and up along the fields which had amazing views.

We took a 5 minutes stroll up to the village shop where we got icecreams. The shop is well equipped if you have forgotten anything, saving you the drive to barnstable. Teh pub was very inviting too!

All in all a great hen holiday away and highly recommended :-) Also, great for couples! I plan on returning with my husband-to-be very soon

Oh and not having phone signal was luxury - a true retreat!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank clare j
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Myself and my wife have just returned from a weekend abreak at the Home Place Farmhouse Spa.

We were warmly welcomed by Sarah who showed us around and led us to our accomodation. It was listed as accomodation for 2, however, it had 2 bedrooms with a total of 1 double and 3 single beds.

The accomdation was very clean and well equipped with everything you could need for a weekend break.

The spa was wondeful, but the setting was a real treat. Just across the country lane was a stream, where to my amazement I spotted an otter!

The pub just up the hill was fantastic and definately a must for anyone staying in the area.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dawn S
Reviewed 15 July 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed in a two bedroom cottage at Home place. Everything about the weekend was amazing, really nice staff and perfect treatments. The spa facilities were just as good, very clean and had them to ourselves most of the weekend! Would most definitely return and well worth every penny!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bubbles680
Also consider these accommodations in or near Challacombe
Kentisbury Grange
#3 of 5 in Lynmouth
Chough's Nest Hotel
Chough's Nest Hotel
#4 of 9 in Lynton

Been to Home Place Farmhouse Spa? Share your experiences!