“Great place to stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 28 Gordon's Bay B&B and Inns
Grosspetersdorf
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

Very warm welcome by Tania and her team, was even upgraded to honeymoon suite (although a single traveller:-). This suite is just great with a spacious balcony and a great view. Parking can be a problem because drive-way is very steep. I parked my car off-street, but had no problem at all. Very well situated for trips to the wine region and nice beaches in Pringle's Bay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

Oh how much would I have liked to write a review about this guest house - but alas never got the chance due to a blotched booking!

I needed just a day or two to put the final touches to a book I have been writing. I found this guest house on one of the hotel booking sites and it was perfect for my needs. Stunning views (to inspire), small gym (to revitalize), two pools (to refresh) and a great location with great restaurants (to refill!).

So I booked a room for my 11 year old son and myself at the rate advertised. Gave my credit card details and was ready to rock and roll (or is it now to get the pen to flow?).

On the morning of our departure I get a phone call from manager, Tania, who tells me that there was a mistake with the booking. Turns out that the booking site rate was different to the guest house rate for children.

She explains that the site charges her commission and that she cannot accept the booking as it is. She has to charge me full price for my child (which is now double the booking price). Also the booking site only informed her of my contact details very late, so she could only contact me at this late stage.

She then gives me the option of paying more or cancelling the booking (which according to the booking site could not be done on day of arrival without having to pay a full night stay!).

I cancel the booking with terrible disappointment.

My feelings on this:
The guest house should have honored the booking as per the booking site. It is their responsibility that rates and conditions are correctly communicated and listed on these sites.
By honoring the booking they would not have incurred massive extra costs (only breakfast basically) but they would have won over a client and gotten the rating they most probably deserved.
Luckily I do have a plan B (a friend offered her holiday home to me the day before but I did not take it due to my booking!), but what about travelers who do not have this option and found themselves without accommodation or "pay more" if you want to stay?

I have a few holiday homes myself which I advertise on booking sites and my attitude is always to accommodate the guest as far as possible. One would expect the same from a guest house with such sterling reviews.

I do hope they sort this out with the booking agent so that it does not happen in the future.

Please note that the Terrible Service rating was only because of the booking issue.
I will not rate anything else as I did not experience the rest!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank moniquestrydom
Johannesburg South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

Recently spent 7 nights at this Guest house and rate it very highly. From the warmest of welcomes to 7 star service from an amazing team.
We found Gordons Bay (and the Strand) to be less geared for travelers than anticipated (in terms of beach facilities and restaurants) and therefore spent more time at the guest house than expected - but happily so.
One of us was happiest at the rooftop plunge pool, the other, at the indoor pool, with an equally nice view of the ocean, but under a fan and therefore much cooler.
The room with a view (and several of them have this view) was an absolute cherry on the top and we were sad to leave.

Room Tip: The honeymoon suite for the wrap around view and private balcony - but otherwise any room with a sea...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank GillianJhb
OceanaP, Manager at Oceana Palms Luxury Guesthouse, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Dear Gillian and Mom

Thank you for your lovely review.
7 star service, wow this is awesome :-) THANK YOU!
We miss you ladies and it been awhile to see how a mom and daughter bonds and travel the world together. This is rare and will not be forgotten,
We hope to see you next summer :-)
Mom, almost time to go back to work. School holidays is almost finish!!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

We were met by Tania who gave us a grand tour of this beautiful place ! We arrived early so she let us sit round the roof pool area for a few drinks ! What a view !!! When we got to our honeymoon suite it was fantastic ! Huge bathroom large bed and a sea view that takes some beating ! The lounge area with pool and gym ( and honesty bar ) was outstanding ! Staff were very friendly and helpful ! We also asked for a taxi to vergelegen vineyard ( great day out ) and was taken by a terrific guy Laurie ! More like a guide and so helpful ! Had a fantastic stay thanks Jan and Mark

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Janet and Mark
Thank you for the lovely review.
We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us,
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

So is the very helpful staff and are the breakfast cook(s).
The Light Harbours restaurant in the neighborhood sucks big time. Too pricy and a con waiter who sells you different wines than ordered. The nearby Tavern is much better. Good food. Great service.

Room Tip: Go for the Honeymoon suite
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Dominokkio
Dear Dominique

We appreciate your feedback and happy you enjoyed our breakfasts :-)
Kindly note I have made contact with the owners of restaurants mentioned and informed them of your review.

Tania Porthen and Team
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

We stayed at Oceana Palms for a romantic weekend break away and can't wait for another chance to spoil our self.

From arrival up to check out we were treated like royalty. Their buffet breakfast is to die for you can't ask for a better view from the Penthouse.

We can diffidently recommend Oceana Palms.

Room Tip: The best is to treat yourself and stay in the Penthouse
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Adviseer

Thank you for your review.
We feel honoured to be part of your best weekend ever :-)
We look forward in welcoming you back to Oceana Palms,

South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

This guesthouse surely has everything that opens and closes, from underfloor heating in the bathroom to heated towel rails. We visited in winter and on our way there phoned them to book and we told them we are extremely cold and tired. When we arrived at about ten that night a friendly staff member opened for us. In our room the air conditioner was on, our room was nice and warm, the beds opened, the tile floor was warm, we showered and jumped into a bed with good quality linen and pillows. We eventually stayed for three nights. In the room there is a file which gives recommendations on things to do and where to eat. All the rooms have a small kitchenette and a bar fridge that is well stocked. The only negative comment is that the breakfast was not on par with the exclusivity of the guesthouse. for the rest, Tania and her staff are doing a great job!

Room Tip: Defnitely a seaview room!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple