“Disappointing” 2 of 5 bubbles

Harbour Lights Seafood Grill
Ranked #22 of 23 Restaurants in Gordon's Bay
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: View
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Gordon's Bay, South Africa
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

Took some up country friends there on a Friday night and the overall experience was not what i expected. The food is pricey and sub standard, nothing to write home about. The service was slow and the waitress was a little abrupt with us. I will not go back again.

• Visited February 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank MarcGbay

London
“Quality Experience, Good Views and Good Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

Other restaurants come and go but Harbour Lights has been operating for as long as I have been coming to Gordons Bay and thankfully it hasn’t changed.

Same seafood based menu, wine list with laughable misspellings and misinformation and good views over the old harbour from large windows that can be opened to let in fresh air. I appreciate the white linen table cloths and correct service.

This time Mrs P enjoyed two large crayfish while I went for the grilled ‘line fish of the day’ which was Yellowtail, accompanied with some nice homemade potato wedges and selection of steamed vegetables.

The refusal of the chef to disclose what was in his salad dressing irked me; I didn’t want his recipe, let alone to steal it as seemed to be the assumption but I think its reasonable to know if — for instance – it has cheese or milk or egg in it.

Apart from that niggle, it was yet another enjoyable relaxing lunch in a timeless semi-formal restaurant. Long may it continue as it is.

• Visited March 2014
Wallasey
“Well Worth Another Visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

I have eaten at this restaurant many times for lunch over a period of twenty years. The Kingklip is superb and the scallops in a creamy mustard sauce as a starter are excellent. There are lots of other things on the menu, but these are my all time favourites. Whenever we get the chance to go out to the Cape this is the first place we head for. I have taken colleagues here when working in the Cape, and my Darling wife when we are out on holiday. I think I have gone through three changes in ownership, but it is always good - the quality of the ingredients are what counts and Cape seafood is brilliant maybe being from the UK the prices do not hit us as expensive we think it is good value for good quality food. We are going back to the Kruger this year, but next year we have been invited back to Franschhoek, and this will be our first port of call. A bottle of Neil Ellis Sauvignon washes down well also!!!. The view is very special through the day, which is why I/we prefer it at lunchtime. I have seen whales in False Bay from this restaurant (August).

• Visited July 2013
Gordon's Bay, South Africa
“Expensive verby!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

My husband and I went there for our Aniversary and the food was very expensive, however we stayed as this was a special occasion.. We ordered steak...Medium Rare ...but got Well Done steak..no apology nothing...we have never been back

Visited April 2013
1 Thank SamanthaQ1
Nieuwerkerk aan den IJssel, Nederland
“Perfect night out”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

We've been coming here for about 7 years now. It's still a pleasure. Nice wine, good food and the most perfect service by Lewis (as always) and collegue. We also enjoyed the singer who was performing that night. Diner at Harbour Lights is one of the things we look forward to all year in Holland, waiting for the moment we fly to Cape town.
Marc and Maureen