“Disastrous!”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 22 April 2014

There is a saying: “one is never too old to learn” and the one thing I will try to do from my recent experience is to read online restaurant reviews. I have learned and paid my lesson for not doing the necessary research prior to our outing to the Harbour Lights restaurant in Gordon’s Bay on the evening of 17 April 2014.

Family from the Freestate visited us and they wanted to eat in a seafood restaurant and foolishly we decided on Harbour Lights as we live in Gordon’s Bay and would like to impress them. My wife made a telephonic reservation which later seemed to be unnecessary as the restaurant was filled with emptiness.

We waited extremely long for the food to arrive. When it eventually arrived it was found to be tasteless, tough, dry and very close to uneatable. Drinks are very expensive; for example the margin on a local beer is about 228%.

At the end of the evening when the bill arrived I learned that there was a 10% additional fee for the restaurant and the waiter demanded his 10% as well. In total I had to pay a 20% “tip” for a service and food below standard.

Harbour Lights will never see me again, but on the positive I have learned again. With the Internet available it is possible to do research and please do it; it will save you money, disappointment and frustration.

3  Thank D R

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Took some up country friends there on a Friday night and the overall experience was not what i expected. The food is pricey and sub standard, nothing to write home about. The service was slow and the waitress was a little abrupt with us. I will not go back again.

3  Thank MarcGbay
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Other restaurants come and go but Harbour Lights has been operating for as long as I have been coming to Gordons Bay and thankfully it hasn’t changed.

Same seafood based menu, wine list with laughable misspellings and misinformation and good views over the old harbour from large windows that can be opened to let in fresh air. I appreciate the white linen table cloths and correct service.

This time Mrs P enjoyed two large crayfish while I went for the grilled ‘line fish of the day’ which was Yellowtail, accompanied with some nice homemade potato wedges and selection of steamed vegetables.

The refusal of the chef to disclose what was in his salad dressing irked me; I didn’t want his recipe, let alone to steal it as seemed to be the assumption but I think its reasonable to know if — for instance – it has cheese or milk or egg in it.

Apart from that niggle, it was yet another enjoyable relaxing lunch in a timeless semi-formal restaurant. Long may it continue as it is.

Reviewed 19 March 2014

I have eaten at this restaurant many times for lunch over a period of twenty years. The Kingklip is superb and the scallops in a creamy mustard sauce as a starter are excellent. There are lots of other things on the menu, but these are my all time favourites. Whenever we get the chance to go out to the Cape this is the first place we head for. I have taken colleagues here when working in the Cape, and my Darling wife when we are out on holiday. I think I have gone through three changes in ownership, but it is always good - the quality of the ingredients are what counts and Cape seafood is brilliant maybe being from the UK the prices do not hit us as expensive we think it is good value for good quality food. We are going back to the Kruger this year, but next year we have been invited back to Franschhoek, and this will be our first port of call. A bottle of Neil Ellis Sauvignon washes down well also!!!. The view is very special through the day, which is why I/we prefer it at lunchtime. I have seen whales in False Bay from this restaurant (August).

Reviewed 5 March 2014

My husband and I went there for our Aniversary and the food was very expensive, however we stayed as this was a special occasion.. We ordered steak...Medium Rare ...but got Well Done steak..no apology nothing...we have never been back

1  Thank SamanthaQ1