“Fun casual dining on the bay”

Harbour Lights Seafood Grill
Ranked #20 of 23 Restaurants in Gordon's Bay
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
San Francisco, California
“Fun casual dining on the bay”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Dined downstairs at the pub because we wanted a casual meal outdoors. I went with a friend that lives nearby so he did the ordering. Had Hake Fish and Chips which was fantastic. The fried calamari tasted a bit on the rubbery side. The views and friendly staff outweighs the rubbery calamari.

• Visited May 2014

“Avoid at all costs”
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

We arrived at reception and there was no one. No staff to greet us and no patrons. I phoned the restaurant's number from inside the restaurant for someone to welcome us after waiting for ten minutes.

After ordering a beer and looking at the menu we decided to ask for the bill because we had a weird and uneasy feeling about this place which USED to be good 20 years ago. The prices were on the wrong side of exorbitant and I worked out that our lunch for two people was going to cost in the region of R1500.00, wine included. Avoid this place. It's an embarrassment to South Africa. Rather visit the Harbour House in Kalkbay for world class service and cuisine with a spectacular view.

2 Thank 720etienneb
“Terrible”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

What a disappointment. Were taken there by our son who was out from Holland and wanted to spoil us with a great meal. Service was so bad that we got up and left and went to the Ocean Basket which we enjoyed!

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank carollh1
“Disastrous!”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

There is a saying: “one is never too old to learn” and the one thing I will try to do from my recent experience is to read online restaurant reviews. I have learned and paid my lesson for not doing the necessary research prior to our outing to the Harbour Lights restaurant in Gordon’s Bay on the evening of 17 April 2014.

Family from the Freestate visited us and they wanted to eat in a seafood restaurant and foolishly we decided on Harbour Lights as we live in Gordon’s Bay and would like to impress them. My wife made a telephonic reservation which later seemed to be unnecessary as the restaurant was filled with emptiness.

We waited extremely long for the food to arrive. When it eventually arrived it was found to be tasteless, tough, dry and very close to uneatable. Drinks are very expensive; for example the margin on a local beer is about 228%.

At the end of the evening when the bill arrived I learned that there was a 10% additional fee for the restaurant and the waiter demanded his 10% as well. In total I had to pay a 20% “tip” for a service and food below standard.

Harbour Lights will never see me again, but on the positive I have learned again. With the Internet available it is possible to do research and please do it; it will save you money, disappointment and frustration.

• Visited April 2014
3 Thank D R
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Took some up country friends there on a Friday night and the overall experience was not what i expected. The food is pricey and sub standard, nothing to write home about. The service was slow and the waitress was a little abrupt with us. I will not go back again.

• Visited February 2014