“Enjoyable business trip”

Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Formby
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I spent 2 days and 1 night here as part of a business conference and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I managed half an hour in the pool and wished I had had more time! The rooms were spacious with large bathrooms. Food was good and the staff were very pleasant and attentive.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ElaineS130955

Reviewed 5 December 2013

I booked 17 rooms at this hotel whilst we were at a 2 day conference nearby, we also hosted a dinner for 50 extra people. It took a lot of organising as it is a complicated booking and my people change their plans all the time!
The rooms are lovely with fabulous bathrooms, beautifully fitted with a lovely walk in shower which was powerful, didn't try the bath, but looked nice too! Comfortable bed, good wardrobe, iron, hairdryer, fridge and even a tea pot! Nice big fluffy towels and all spotlessly clean. Think I had a normal room, though often the booker gets upgraded, but all my guests said their rooms were lovely too.

Dinner was good, both nights both a la carte and the set menu for the group. Well presented and beautifully cooked. Good service too. Breakfast looked good, only had tea and a roll on day one, which was so nice, tried it again on day 2 but sadly the roll was incredibly stale! The others had cooked breakfasts and that looked good.

Reception staff efficient, even on the second night, when all the extra guests were queuing to book in but let us help them as we knew the guests and it was complicated! They coped very well with our party and my complicated demands and the same at the group dinner, we were very well looked after.

The following morning, the settling of the bill was messy too! However, Carly on reception was unflustered and sorted it out with excellent grace at 7am in the morning.

There is a gym and pool that we didn't get chance to use but looked good. Some of my guests who go to Liverpool often, commented that they hadn't discovered this hotel but would stay there again.

Go and stay at this lovely hotel - it's close to Southport and Formby and the Gormly sculptures are not far away, one of the guests was getting up early to go and see them, and she lives in Liverpool! I will make the effort to go up and see them and the other attractions in the area and I will stay here again. Great Hotel - great effort, thank you all very much!

Room Tip: Didn't hear anyone complain they had a bad/noisy room - think mine was standard but excellent.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Formby hall is lovely I often come for spa stays and we have a fantastic time, lovely and relaxing and the staff in the spa restaurant are really friendly. Rooms are modern and spacious we always have diner here to and there is enough choice for everyone but the best bit is breakfast!! would recommend it to anyone wanting a chilled out spa break as you can get some fantastic offers online. Spa could do with a little updating in areas but on a whole its great .

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
FHGRRevenueManager, Revenue Manager at Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Dear BNLB,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at the Resort, we value all feedback from our guests so I have ensured that a copy of your comments have been passed on. I'm very gald that you enjoy staying with us so much and you're right the breakfast is great! I hope we can welcome you back to the Resort again very soon.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

Stayed here overnight for my niece's wedding reception. Friendly helpful staff, fantastic food and the bedroom was spotless. Cannot praise enough. Would recommend. Have also been for Sunday lunch and the food was again excellent.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
FHGRRevenueManager, Guest Relations Manager at Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear Jono,

Thank you for taking the time to post your lovely review, I hope your Niece had a very enjoyable wedding day at the Resort. I will pass on your kind comments to the Team at the Resort who will be thrilled you appreciated their hard work. We look forward welcoming you back again in the future, we some great value offers available for spring.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

On visiting with 3 friends for a 50th birthday treat which included bed breakfast, evening meal and spa treatments we had high hopes if a classy stay based on the reputation of this hotel.
However, we were sadly disappointed with poor hygiene in the bedrooms, one smelled of vomit and the other had a soiled pillowcase. Other problems were poor service at the bar, closure of Jacuzzi and steam room, and being rushed out of the spa for cleaning. Trying to put all this in a compact review is a challenge but the most serious complaint which demonstrates that this is a 4* hotel with 2* standards, is particularly how complaints are dealt with. On complaining about these conditions there was an initial response which I might add required my prompt with at least 2 phone calls. However as we had spent a lot of money and were appalled by the conditions I felt a free lunch was not good enough.I had to continually chase my complaint up and eventually had agreement to a room refund. However this was followed up 10 minutes after the offer by a telephone call with an accusation that we had used the iron and melted a remote control. I was incredulous and very annoyed at this as we wouldn't have even known where the iron was and also demonstrated that if we had wanted to watch the TV the remote would obviously have been non-functional!...As the room refund was not carried out I again chased this complaint up. I awaited a call from the operations manager to no avail still. I resorted to writing to the Managing director approximately 4-5 weeks ago detailing the catalogue of errors. I am still awaiting a reply or a refund.I will not be returning to the hotel, the initial problems can and will be resolved, however, it is the ethos of this establishment which certainly does not match it's 4* status.

• Stayed: August 2013
7  Thank jogodfrey
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We stayed the night and had treatments in the spa the next day, cannot fault the hotel, the breakfast was fantastic, the only negative was the small portion sizes of the meals on the package deals menu. Why do a seperate menu for package diners? One that is clearly lesser quality than the regular menu?

• Stayed: November 2013
FHGRRevenueManager, Revenue Manager at Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review online. I'm so glad to hear that your break with us was relaxing, I have forwarded on your comments regarding the portion sizes to our Chef.

We do have separate menus available, our Residents Menu and an A la Carte, guests on a Dinner inclusive package have a choice from the Residents menu however if they prefer they can use their allocation towards dining from the A la Carte and pay the difference in price. This process works very well for us and we get great feedback from our guests on both menus.

I do hope that you would choose to visit the Resort again in the future, we do have some great packages available at the moment.

Revenue Manager

Reviewed 24 November 2013

We had our wedding at Formby Hall, and also stayed on the Friday evening. We had a meal on the Friday night which was very nice indeed and the service was fine (although the order got slightly mixed up). The wedding day and event was fantastic. All the specific things we wanted, from the ceremony, the room layout, decoration and lighting, to the food and drink were all met to our precise requirements. It was run very efficiently and professionally which ensured that we and our guests had a wonderful day.
We had Colin from FH to do all of our music and we cannot recommend him highly enough, he was absolutely great.

There were one or two negatives in the preparation however, partly because we were trying to organise things from 180 miles away. The biggest worry was over the menu, as it took 3 tastings to get it right, and even then we didnt get precisely what we ordered, although it was very nice.

Leading up to the wedding we still had some uncertainties and concerns, however they were all unfounded as they provided us with a lovely day to remember.
So a big thanks to all the staff, and Karan & Kem in particular.

Our ratings are for the whole stay, not just for the wedding
A mark off for slow service in the bar - plenty of people being busy, but seemed to take a good while to get served.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
FHGRRevenueManager, Revenue Manager at Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Dear N S,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on to Tripadvisor, and thank you for choosing Formby Hall Golf Resort and Spa for your wedding venue. I'm so glad that your Wedding day went so well and you found our staff, service and facilities to be of a high standard.

I have forwarded on a copy of your review to the Departments involved to try and address the few negative points you mention and obtain some feedback. I can appreciate how the distance away from the Resort would make the planning process more stressful however I'm glad that Karan was able to minimise this for you.

I have been advised that there were some changes to the wedding breakfast menu mainly down to preference and suitability of a certain dish for such large numbers. I'm glad that the final option that you agreed with Chef was enjoyable although apologies that it was slightly different. I have made the Chef aware of this.

The comments regarding the slow service in the bar are unexpected as this was not mentioned during your follow up call with the Sales team, however I have asked the Bar Manager to check the rota's for this day to ensure he had a full team on duty. He has confirmed that we did have a full staff during your event and offers his apologies that the service received was slower than expected.

I do hope that you would return to the Resort again in the future, we have some great special offers available for the Winter period.

Revenue Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Formby
Ramada Plaza Southport
Titanic Hotel Liverpool
Titanic Hotel Liverpool
#16 of 98 in Liverpool
Britannia Prince of Wales - Southport

Been to Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!