“Very good .... Couple of small tweaks !”

Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Formby
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Spent a very enjoyable two days here playing golf with three friends. Great value for Bed, Breakfast, Dinner and two rounds. Lovely rooms. Great food and a really good course. There are just a couple of things they could sort really quickly that would make a big difference :

1. Why does the food have to take so long. We waited nearly an hour both days for lunch.... Dinner strangely, was out in minutes !?

2. They claim to have a drinks service on the course but despite spending 8 hours on it over two days and on the hottest 2 days of the year so far - nothing. Do a half way house .... You'd clean up !

3. Not a single place to sit on the course? Given the average age of members seems to be over 70 I find this very odd.....

Apart from that keep up the good work - sort these bits out and there's really nothing to complain about...

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
FHGRManagementAdmin, Guest Relations Manager at Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Jonathan S,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review online, we value all feedback and use it to help us develop the service we offer to our guests.

I have spoken with our Pro Shop team regarding your comments about the course and have been advised that our refreshment buggy goes out at weekends and on busy days during the week. The starter on the course should have also advised that our 19th hole bar falls half way and they sell bottled water, chocolate bars etc. at the end of the bar. I'm very sorry if this was not highlighted to you. Your suggestion of a dedicated 'halfway house' has been considered in the past, I have highlighted it to our Golf Manager for consideration again,

We do have benches on the course however they are currently with our maintenance team whilst they are re-coated, I have chased this up with them today so they should be back on the course very soon.

I will speak with the F&B department regarding your comments on slow service, the 19th hole kitchen is separate to the main restaurant kitchen so the service speed will vary dependant upon demand however it should not take almost an hour for lunch in the 19th hole to be provided. I'm very sorry if this was the case during your visit.

I do hope that you would return to the Resort again in future, we have some great offers planned for the summer months so hope we can welcome you back again very soon.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

This is our second weekend break at Formby Hall. As a treat I always book a package of spa treatments for myself and wife. I also upgrade the room to a Deluxe, well worth the extra money.
We had a room that opened up directly onto the Golf Course, private seating area and away from the 19th hole and Wedding parties.
The weather was fantastic, sunny all day. We called in to the local Tesco approx 5 minutes drive from Formby Hall. Purchased 2 bottles of wine and chilled out on the patio area outside our room watching the world go by.
All the Spa treatments were fantastic. Many thanks to all concerned at the Spa - All of you were impeccably dressed, very polite and made sure all our needs were fully met. Thank You!
Evening meal - A pair of ear plugs would not have gone a miss. Formby Hall - Question; Please control the amount of Hen Nights your allowing in. Money isn't everything! The restaurant was a hustle and bustle of noise, it was more like a Weatherspoons pub. Very noisy.
I'd planned it to be a relaxing and romantic weekend, I had to shout across the table to talk to my wife.
The restaurant was the only down side.
The deluxe room, number 129 was ideally placed. A king size bed, french doors opening up onto the golf course, private seating area away from 19th hole. Very peacefull. Large bathroom with double bath and double shower. large sitting area. x2 flat screen tv's and a complimentary greeting package.
Many thanks to everyone concerned. Hotel is very clean, hallways are fully monitored and front desk were always asking if everything was okay.
8 out 10 - You lost 2 marks due to noise in restaurant.
Will we be back? Definitely!

Room Tip: Book Deluxe room 129. Fantastic position away from Wedding Noise, Bar etc. It's worth the extra.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank doyley196
FHGRManagementAdmin, Guest Relations Manager at Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Doyley196,

Thank you for taking the time to review your second stay at Formby Hall Golf Resort and Spa, I'm very glad that your stay was a relaxing one and you enjoyed the service, spa treatments and facilities. Our Deluxe rooms are really special and all 6 of them are individually designed, the 3 located on the ground floor do have the added benefit of a patio area which is a fantastic place to be when the weather is fine.

I have passed on your comments to our Management regarding the noise level in the L37| Restaurant during your evening meal, where possible we try to allocate larger groups to the earlier or later dining times to keep the disruption to our other guests to a minimum. Our Restaurant staff are tasked with ensuring any rowdy behaviour and increased noise is managed on a case by case basis so I'm very sorry if this was not the case during your visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Resort again very soon.

Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

I came to Formby Hall on Saturday 10 May and was less than impressed, which is a shame as I used to be a fan!

This is the second time I've been (about 9th overall) and it was ridiculously unclean.

I went with family to visit the pool area for the day to relax and it was not in the least bit relaxing trying to avoid and tip toe around the amount of hairs and grub on the floor. Maybe flip flops would have helped but then how clean is the pool if the floor alone is this bad?!

Yes I understand that pool areas get busy but it is at this point where regular cleaning should be undertaken to ensure a relaxing environment.

Not only did the amount of grub on the floor put me off, but so did the massive amount of rust around one of the posts which was slowly seeping into the tiles.

The button to turn on the jacuzzi was disgusting. Looked like it hadn't been given a deep clean in months.

Unfortunately I would not be retuning. I have come to Formby Hall many times and enjoyed the pool area as well as treatments in the spa but I think it's safe to say the pool area alone was dirty enough to put me off returning.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank 649saraht
FHGRManagementAdmin, Guest Relations Manager at Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear Sarah T,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review online, we value all feedback as it helps us to identify where improvements in our service can be made.

Please accept my sincere apologies that your recent visit did match the usual high standards that we offer and that you also have experienced during your last 8 visits to the Resort. I can assure you that your comments have been passed on to the Manager involves so that he can make the relevant changes required. The facilities at the Resort are cleaned on a rota'd basis throughout the day to ensure that they are clean and presentable at all times regardless of how many guests are using the facilities, I've very sorry that during your visit this was not the case.

I do hope that you would consider visiting the Resort again in future and hope that your past positive experiences would encourage you to do so.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

This was a birthday treat, unfortunately I would not go back or recommend. It was extremely busy and seemed disorganised, whilst some guests were shown around the facilities, we had to fend for ourselves. Lunch was awful mouldy cheese to go with our jacket potato. While the staff were very apologetic it was not acceptable. Staff were friendly enough however when asking what they had drinks or cake wise the response was "not much" . Not very professional. We attended this spa as it came highly recommended and as we have attended other spas up and down the country this is not one I will ever recommend. The staff did not introduce themselves or discussed the treatments or what products they were using. As it was so busy it was not the pampering experience we expected. Our treatments were separated so one treatment in morning and the other extended treatment late afternoon, it was supposed to be an hour facial........it was not and we paid extra for that. When the staff were questioned they seemed a bit confused. The spa facilities were not enough for the people that spent the day there and the steam room was not working. Extremely disappointed as we had spent £266.00. I have even submitted a complaint which is not something I would usually do.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tracey B

Dear Tracey B,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to the Resort, I'm very sorry that you were left disappointed after your visit so please accept my sincere apologies. I have forwarded on a copy of your review and also the complaint email sent to our Chef and Spa Manager so they can investigate further. I can assure you that we take feedback such as your very seriously and will be taking the time to speak with the staff on duty as from your comments they don't seem to have provided the high level of service we expect of our staff.

The spa can be very busy and treatment times available would have been highlighted to you at the time of booking, I'm very sorry that there was a large break between treatment times however this can on occasion be unavoidable due to other bookings already in place, our packages include between 2-4 hrs facility access which is a suitable time for guest to make use of the spa facilities available and have their treatments, ideally we like to ensure that treatments are booked close together to ensure a more relaxing flow to the day.

Treatment durations do have time built into them for a consultation between guest and therapist, the only reason a treatment should be reduced is if the guest arrived late or consultation took longer than the 5 minutes allocated. Our treatments would be either 25 minutes or some longer ones are either 50 or 55 minutes. I'm very sorry if your 55 minute treatment only lasted for 40 minutes, the Spa Manager has been made aware and will be speaking to the therapist on duty to check their logs for the day.

I do hope that you would consider visiting the Resort again in future, generally the spa bistro and its staff receive many compliments as do our therapists. I'm sure if you chose to visit again it would highlight that your recent experience was below the usual high standard we provide.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Went to Formby Hall Spa & Golf Resort last February, we bought an on-line deal for two people, this included an overnight stay in a very nice comfortable room, 2 course evening meal with a cocktail voucher each, a lovely breakfast, huge choice, and 2 spa treatments included, all for less than £60.00, this was a 'special winter deal' . If it comes up again next year we will definitely be back, fantastic value, brilliant food, excellent spa facilities, made to feel very welcome, loved it :-)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Shelley J

Dear Shelley J,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your lovely review, we did have a special offer winter package available that represented fantastic value for money so much so that many guest came to visit on multiple occasions!

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon, we have some great offers planned for the summer months so hopefully one of those would entice you back sooner.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Each year as a group of golfing work colleagues we book at least one weekend away at a course within the UK, this years choice was Formby Hall, first impressions by all, were how Classy the hotel looked, inside and out, the staff both at the hotel and at the pro shop were extremely friendly and polite, nothing was too much trouble, we were made to feel really important and valued as guests, the rooms werent what we were expecting either, really large, very tastefully decorated, clean and tidy, absolute quality, the food in the restaurant was amazing, could not be faulted at all, and again the attentiveness of the staff was first class, lastly to the golf, and the starter at the 1st tee what a character, very jovial and professional, got us all organised and off to a great round, the course itself is magnificently maintained and is a real challenge for any golfer, more water and bunkers ive ever seen on a course, and to get to play it twice as part of their special weekend break packages was an absolute dream, we are still talking about the experience now and what value for money it was, ((Dizzy Blond) Beer at £2 a pint in a hotel !!!!! would not hesitate to recommend this place get booking your break you wont be dissapointed

Room Tip: as far as my Party of Golfers were concerned they were all great rooms, but some were in line with t...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Andy R

Dear Andy R,

Thank you so much for your fantastically detailed review, more and more guests are choosing to consult sites such as TripAdvisor before booking so your comments will prove very helpful for them.

I have passed on your comments to the team at the Resort who will all be thrilled they helped to make your golf break so enjoyable. We're very proud of the team and hotel facilities that we have and always aim to offer the best possible experience for our guests.

We have some fantastic offers available for golf groups at the moment and also offer great early booker incentives so I hope that we can welcome you back again very soon.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I go once a year with my wife. The hotel is really classy, lovely food, friendly staff. The food is really scrumptious, if you like to be pampered then try the Spa overnight stay or just a day pass to use the facilities. Great place !!!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RobsterWirral

Dear robsterwirral,

Thank you for your lovely review, I'm so glad that you both enjoyed your stay at Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa so much. We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon,

Gemma Adderley

Also consider these accommodations in or near Formby
Ramada Plaza Southport
#16 of 98 in Liverpool
Park Hotel
Park Hotel
#58 of 98 in Liverpool

Been to Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!