“Luxury hotel and spa” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Formby
Skegness, United Kingdom
“Luxury hotel and spa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Had a lovely room overlooking golf course. The room was large and very well appointed, bathroom just as good. The gym and pool were large and spotlessly clean with friendly helpful staff. Public rooms spacious and well furnished. Must visit again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
1 Thank Julian C
Aled H, Manager at Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 10 September 2014
Hi Julian C

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at Formby Hall Golf Resort and Spa.

I was delighted to read your comments with regards to your stay and will ensure that they are passed to the team here at the hotel.

It is always very pleasing to read such positive feedback and I thank you for taking the time to write.

Revenue Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Visited Formby Hall Spa with my Mum as a birthday treat for us both. Booked the Summer Indulgence Day which included 3 treatments and use of the spa, as well as a complementary Bento lunch box.

We were warmly welcomed to the spa and offered a complementary juice/tea/coffee to start our day, whilst choosing our lunch options. We were then given a brief tour of the facilities and given lovely fluffy robes and slippers to wear for the day.

We started with the Atlas mud rasul treatment, which was a bizarre experience, but really enjoyed it and good fun to share with someone else! Spent a little time in the relaxing Tranquility room, though perhaps could be improved with some relaxing music playing.

Expected to be split up for our treatments, but we were kindly kept together. I had a facial with a back, neck and shoulder massage (Tension massage), and my Mum had the facial with a scalp and neck massage. This was AMAZING! The girls who did our treatments were great and really knew what they were doing.

We were then able to enjoy the rest of the spa facilities for the rest of the day, making use of the Thermal room with sauna, steam room, heated beds and foot jacuzzis, as well as the swimming pool and gym.

I was really pleasantly surprised by lunch, expected something small as it was included in the price, but really generous portion with lovely choices and good food!

Overall had a fantastic day - the staff were polite and available to help out whenever needed, great treatments at a great price. Didn't feel rushed at any point, and certainly relaxed by the end of the day! Would definitely recommend!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank pookie8911
Hi Pookie8911

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay at Formby Hall Golf Resort and Spa to celebrate your birthday.

I was delighted to read that you had such enjoyable stay with us. Thank you for your comments with regards to the Spa, we are very proud of the team we have in place and I will ensure that they are passed to all the team members here at the hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Formby Hall Golf Resort and Spa very soon. For details of all our forthcoming autumn spa packages why not register to receive our newsletter on our website.

Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

I personally organize our golf society's away days, & I have to say from a personal point of view this is by far the best course I have had the joy to play. From its concept this arranged golf day was marred by problems caused by our members so I was constantly on the phone to the staff who were behold helpful as our needs & requirements changed I cannot thank them enough.
The facilities are second to none, & buzzing around the hotel & facilities are golfers, families & even famous football teams mixed in with wedding parties so it caters for everything.
The par 3 course is a new one for me & I & my playing partners enjoyed its challenges with its deep bunkers Island greens, it was a new challenge never needing to use the driver, very enjoyable. I have played the old course a few times most times in the Winter & its spot on then. The old course is beautifully manicured & the fairways are spot on & the greens were perfect. I would highly recommend Formby Hall for any event you may hold & the staff are all very helpful 10/10

Room Tip: lots of rooms lovely views with lots to do
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Mick R
Hi Mick R

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay at Formby Hall Golf Resort and Spa.I was delighted to read that you and your golf society had such enjoyable stay with us.

Thank you for your comments with regards to team, the food, the organisation and the golf course. I will ensure that they are passed to all the team members here at the hotel.

Myself and the team look forward to welcoming you back to Formby Hall again very soon, why not take advantage of our Autumn Golf Getaway – from £79 per golfer One Night, Dinner, Bed & Breakfast and 36 Holes of Golf with 6 FREE Titleist Velocity Golf Balls per Golfer

Staffordshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

Just back from a 3 day golf break at Formby Hall together with a group of friends and their partners

The golf was challenging but just a great track, the course and greens were very dry and cracking up in places on the fairways - this my only criticism.
The Golf shop well stocked and expensive naturally
The venue was busy with weddings, birthdays, a Summer Ball and other celebrations going on but I think this was no excuse for the excruciating bad service and downright scruffy public areas externally

The dirty patio tables and littered patio overlooking the 18th was a disgrace with cigarette ends, food detritus and even established weeds underfoot!, there were wasps everywhere of course .
This was reported 3 times until it was sorted ......in a fashion
The glass topped raffia tables had no glass tops in many cases ( they had been broken and removed and not replaced) and our tall glasses swayed precariously on the table

Even after breakfast the next day these areas had not been properly cleaned and prepared for the new day and new guests

Elsewhere glimpses of poor maintenance and untidiness was self evident everywhere

The restaurant food was just about OK but the choices had been dumbed down and the staff -seemingly at full stretch- took a long time to get all the meals out to our table of 8.
The air con was barely coping either!

The rooms were on the mark for a 4 star and were spotless, at least the housekeeping deserves praise here.
Finally the hotel took every opportunity to extract money with overpriced - everything

So it came down to the restaurant /duty manager to leap upon a guest who had just won a bottle of cheap fizz in a fun competition and demand £16 corkage if he dared to open it .

Lastly the foul mouthed group of boy golfers enjoying a midday drink - had to be silenced as ladies were present ....All in all not quite what we expected for our spa and golf weekend .....might as well as gone to the Solara in Benidorm ....................

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank SandJStaffordshire
Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your visit to Formby Hall Golf Resort and Spa.

I was disappointed to read your comments with regards certain aspects of your stay / visit which did not live up to your expectations.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your comments in person and regain your confidence in Formby Hall Golf Resort and Spa. I can be contacted on revenuemanager@formbyhallgolfresort.co.uk. Alternatively, if you prefer you to contact our Customer Services department, please email admin@formbyhallgolfresort.co.uk

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Visited the hotel for a golfing weekend. The hotel itself is good in terms of decor and environment. The rooms are spacious and modern. Our room had what looked like a cigarette burn on the duvet cover, we mentioned this at reception but nothing was done. The bed was not made by the room maid when they cleaned the room, all they did was change the towels. Service generally was slow and lacked warmth and a welcoming feel, the staff were just functional at best. The standards of the patio areas outside the 19th bar and restaurant were in a very poor standard of cleanliness, lots of weeds and cigarette ends including debris was left for what appeared to be a long time. The restaurant Manager dealt with a complaint in a very unprofessional manner and upset all of our party. The management of this Hotel need to be more proactive raising the standards of service and standards of cleanliness, and instil into the Staff that the Guest comes first and is key to their Success and Business. I for one will not be returning, this also includes other members of the group.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Jim L
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at Fornby Hall Golf Resort and Spa.

I was disappointed to read your comments and that your experience did not live up to your expectations. When guests are disappointed with any aspect of their stay, we do try our upmost to rectify the situation, at the time, in an appropriate manner and I am sorry that on this occasion we were unable to rectify the issues noted.

Your feedback has been discussed with my management team and they all join me in offering our sincere apologies for the inconsistencies noted.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write your review with your constructive feedback.

Chester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Every year we have an annual golf day where we always go to a nice course at a nice venue and have a nicr meal and presentation after. This year was Formby Hall.

We arrived in the morning and some people had to ask for their bacon rolls rather than the staff asking if everything was ok and had we all been seen to. The only drink option available was coffee however the girl behind the bar did agree to make tea for some and provide glasses of water for others.

The par 3 course has some very nice challenging little holes but the greens bunkers fairways and rough is terrible and doesnt look well maintained at all.

Lunch time was soup (if you can call it that) and sandwiches (4 triangles with different fillings ranging from dry tuna mayo, hard and dry sliced beef, hard grated cheese and dry ham, all served on dried out bread) the "soup" looked like a mixture of vegetables with tinned spaghetti added to it all served in a spicy broth.

The championship course or old course as it is known is very nice well laid out etc.
After golf we went for a shower and to get ready for the evening to find that you had to pay to use a towel and the showers only have two temperatures - warm and hot (not ideal on one of the hottest days of the year)

The evening meal was served in the bar area and was a steak and vegetable pie with chips. The chips were luke warm yet the pies themselves were stone cold. Numerous were sent back to the kitchen only to reappear and still be cold.

The food, changing facilities and par 3 course are all massively disappointing and far from what was imagined.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Graeme M
FHGRManagementAdmin, Guest Relations Manager at Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Hi Graeme M

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent golf day at Formby Hall Golf Resort and Spa, we appreciate all feedback from our guests and use it to continually improve the level of products and service we offer. We have taken on board your constructive criticism and please be assured I have forwarded your comments on to each Head of Department.

In respect to your comments on the Par 3 course I can assure you it is back to its usual tip top condition.

I have also forwarded on a copy of your review to Restaurant and Kitchen Managers so they are aware of your comments and can discuss with their teams

I'm aware that the hotel have been speaking with your golf secretary who has passed on some wonderful comments, and we look forward to seeing you on your return visit

Kind regards

Nichola

Management Admin Assistant
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Myself and my partner stayed at Formby Hall for one night last Monday on one of their Glow Spa packages, The whole stay was first class. The hotel oozes class from the moment you pull into the car park. Check in was done in a matter of minutes, As requested we had been allocated a quite room but this did involve a mini trek to find it but the receptionist did offer help with our bags. The room was large will powerful air con which came in handy as it was very warm. Bathroom was similarly large and spotless. We decided to have lunch in the 19th Hole restaurant which has a large seating area outside overlooking the golf course. The lunch menu there was simple but very good quality. A perfect setting for some lights bites soaking up the sun. After lunch we decided to use the spa facilities before our treatment appointments later in the afternoon. The pool area is large and had a big steam room on one side. There is also a thermal suite but this is on the 2nd floor so you need to exit the pool area and go up some stairs. That would be my one minor niggle as it would have been nice to have everything on one level. The thermal suite has steam room, sauna and jacuzzi and was a great place to relax and feel the stresses drain away. We had booked a massage each. Both of which were very professional and very thorough. A perfect end to the Spa experience. We had dinner in the main restaurant and the food was excellent. Be aware that the portions are huge so don't make the mistake of ordering lots extras as you may not finish them! The waiting staff very kindly provided us with a doggy bag to take away our rather large leftovers. Breakfast is buffet style and includes everything you would want to start you off for the day. All in all we could not have been happier with our stay. This is a first class hotel with excellent staff throughout the property. The hotel was also very good at communicating in the run up to our stay via email and phone. I would definitely recommend this hotel either for a spa break or as a base for exploring the region. Needless to say that golfers will be in heaven having the opportunity to play the Championship class course at the hotel. Well done Formby Hall we will be back!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your fantastically detailed review, more and more guests are choosing to consult sites such as TripAdvisor before booking so your comments will prove very helpful for them. We're very proud of the team and hotel facilities that we have and always aim to offer the best possible experience for our guests.

I’m so pleased to hear that your stay with us was so enjoyable and you found our team so welcoming. We are very proud of the staff we have in place. I have forwarded on a copy of your fantastic review to the department heads so they can share with their teams.

I'm very glad that you both had such an enjoyable stay with us and found the spa treatments, food and facilities to be of an exceptionally high standard.

I will pass on your compliments to our L37 Restaurant Chef

I do hope that we can welcome you back to the Resort very soon

Kind regards

Nichola
Management Admin Assistant
Also consider these accommodations in or near Formby
Vincent
Premier Inn Liverpool North Hotel
Royal Hotel
Royal Hotel
#41 of 99 in Liverpool

Been to Formby Hall Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!