“Disappointing Hotel Great Location”

Trafford Hall Hotel
Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Trafford
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Disappointing Hotel Great Location”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I have to say that when I looked at the Pictures online and looked at the Price I thought ok let’s give this a try.
The transport links are excellent. Many busses passing in both directions all day and the Metrolink is around the corner about a 1 minute walk.
I arrived early at the hotel 12.35 and went to the reception. The lady who served me was quite nice, although she didn’t go too overboard with building rapport or saying much of anything except “you can’t check in until 2pm” The hotel didn’t look very busy so I did wonder if it would have hurt her to check if 1 single room was actually free or to even offer to check my bags in.

Anyway she gave me directions to a pub around the corner and I waited there.
When I arrived back I was checked in very professionally by a gentleman, who gave me a run down of the rules etc.
I was in room 22. This room smells. It has a window that has no view except other bedrooms. The heating doesn’t work and the kettle smells of burning when you switch it on.
You can hear every noise of anyone entering or leaving the hotel.
Oh and the shower is a trickle and the toilet bowl was cracked.

There was a pungent smell of something in the room, but i couldn’t work out where it was coming from.
I decided that the bedding was clean and because of the price and the transport links i would stick it out for 1 night.
This hotel could be amazing. It is the old Public hall building for Trafford and as such should be a good quality hotel with some history. But it just looks sad and run down.
If someone has the injection of cash into this place it could be a marvellous conference centre as well. Instead it looks grubby.
I won’t stay here again, but this is not because of the staff. It is because someone somewhere could not be bothered to make an effort and in todays marketplace of choice and exceptional prices they are never going to make this hotel pay if it stays this way.
I didn’t sample breakfast as the smell in the room somehow made my hunger pangs disappear.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Thai first
Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

There was several girls who went to The Trafford Hall Hotel. On arrival we were told where our rooms were.but no one showed us to our rooms. I had a single room. Very small and a little bit eerie. No wardrobe. Just a rail which when i put my clothes on it. It hung over the television. Just a portable heater in the room. The walls were so thin. I could hear the couple in next room talking till 2.30am. My friends rooms were a little bit better. But overall none of us were impressed. So we wont stay there again

• Stayed November 2013
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2013

As we arrived, we drove off to the Trafford centre to shop to put off going in, strange run down car park with over grown weeds and no other cars in the car park... When we returned, still no cars. We went in to the bar and followed the signs to our room number 11 as advised by the receptionist. Carpet on the stairs was basically taped together with tape and looked dirty, the room looked Victorian very run down, beds had no bed boards and strange variety of furniture, however we decided it put up with it and leave early. I had a shower but was not keen on using the toilet or walking across the floors without shoes! The nights sleep was not comfortable, no mattress protectors and the pillows were like paper. We got up the morning and went.

This is certainly the strangest hotel I've been to. However the staff were very friendly, it is in desperate need for an update. It was no dirty, just very run down.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Used this hotel for a business stay. Was put in room 1 which had a double bed, single bed and sofa bed - I only needed one, but the room was large and spacious. It's true that the carpets are wearing thin and need replacing, but everything is clean including the bathroom. Yes, the place could do with a bit of a face lift, but what do you expect for £45 a night only 10 minutes by tram from the centre of Mancester and just 3 minutes walk to the tram station? I suspect that if too many improvements are made then prices will have to go up. Tea, coffee and biscuits were all provided which was a nice added bonus. There is a bar if you want it and apparently it is open all night. The TV was large and the room comfortable. I would definitely use this hotel again as it has more character than one of the budget big brand hotels.

Room Tip: Ground floor, room 1. I don't think there are any rooms that are accessible to disabled guests.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Kolin, Czech Republic
Reviewed 1 October 2013

+ close to city centre - about 10 minutes by Tram... (tram stop about 1 minute walk)
+ close to The Old Trafford stadium - about 5 minutes walk...
+ nice bar in the hotel
+ typical English pub close the hotel
+ spacious room

- during the night there was some kind of noise such as pump...?!

Room Tip: Room no. 12
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Peterborough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2013

was booked in for one night and a week before we travelled I asked the location and was told to get off at Old Trafford , walk down Brian Statham way , turn right at traffic lights.On the day,we did this and after ten mins rang the hotel as no one other than passing cars to ask. The male who answered the phone retorted with I don't know , Ive only worked here for a few weeks and haven't got a clue on the local area. I explained we were booked in and could we ask to speak to someone who could direct us. The male started shouting down the phone. Needless to say we got nowhere and saw a gentleman walking towards us. we asked him and he said yes we were on the right side of the road, however it was another miles walk :( . we rang back and said we would like to talk to the manager and have a refund as the staffs customer services were appalling...we were told she would be an hour. we went and had a coffee somewhere and arrived at the hotel an hour later only to be told the manager wont be back til three. the male staff was again rude and abrupt however as he had a growing audience he rang Caren Clancy manage and she authorised him to repay us. Do think the staff need people skills and NVQ training in hotel leisure and customer services.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Northampton
Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

great location and value for money but unfortunately our room really smelt of damp. we did not complain but im sure if we did the staff who were very friendly would have moved us. as we were only staying for one night we did not bother.

• Stayed September 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trafford
Hotel Football Old Trafford
Chesters Hotel and Restaurant
ibis budget Manchester Salford Quays
Victoria Warehouse Hotel
Victoria Warehouse Hotel
#3 of 3 in Stretford
Travelodge Manchester Salford Quays
Holiday Inn Express Manchester - Salford Quays

Been to Trafford Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!