“From an American Point of View”
Review of Rokuya

Rokuya
Phoenix, AZ
“From an American Point of View”
Reviewed 6 November 2011

I noted that the reviews of this resort/inn were from Japanese travelers and wanted to provide an American point of view. This past October 2011 my Japanese wife and I took her mother to spend a night, which is the maximum stay allowed. It was our second visit to this resort and I was anxious to see if would be as good as our first. This is a small hotel/inn and you will find that the staff do everything from front desk, picking you up at the bus or train station and delivering outstanding dinner or breakfast service.

The resort is in a small village and there is very little to do outside of the resort, at least in off season. I suspect that the beach is a draw during the summer. We have enjoyed the onsen baths both during the day and later at night after dinner and my wife and I have both enjoyed the reflexology massage available on the property. But the highlight of our stays here have been the dinners, and breakfast. The breakfast is a traditional Japanese breakfast so not all items may appeal to the American appetite and eye; but it is very good, and everything is very fresh. The dinners have been some of the best dinners I have experienced in Japan with fresh seafood locally caught and a few different options to choose from including abalone (outstanding and alive when served to the table; cooked before eating), shrimp and on our most recent head the cooked half head of a maguro which was delicious.

IN summary, our second stay was as good as our first and I/we would highly recommend this resort/hotel/inn as a place for a quiet one night stay away from the hustle and bustle of Tokyo. The residents are primarily Japanese due to its location and it is usually booked nightly. It is walking distance from the train station in Iawai and the staff will pick you up there or at the local bust station. I recommend taking a brief detour from the "main stream" of Tokyo and Japan and visiting this wonderful resort.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple