“Great view” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels / Ryokan in Odawara
Shanghai, China
“Great view”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

This hotel is a little bit far from Odawara Station, however, the hotel provides free shuttle bus service from both Odawara Station and Nebukawa Station. Great view of Sagami Bay! Hotel staffs are nice and helpful.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

Perched on top of the hill and overlooking beautiful Sagami Bay coastline, this hotel is a wonderful oasis of calm and was perfect for spending a couple of nights back in June of this year. Reading up a little of the history, this hotel opened in March 1998 as a publicly funded facility. As you will see when you are there, being completed in 90s Japan, there is no expense spared and it is a marvel - particularly the amazing Thalassotherapy style spa facility and myriad of other sports and well-being amenities onsite. Today the City of Odawara still own the facility but management and operation of the facility are in the hands of Hilton who have operated this property since 2004. Our top recommendation would be to make sure you take advantage of a walking trail around the hotel which is very relaxing and picturesque. Also the bar overlooking the bay is worth a visit. The staff at the hotel were very helpful and attentive particularly Ms. Y. Tsuchiya who made our stay very memorable. This hotel is also a suitable place from which to visit Hakone. Just get an early free shuttle bus from the hotel to Odawara and pick the traditional route using a Hakone Freepass. We look forward to visiting again in the future!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hotel R, Andreas Boettger - General Manager at Hilton Odawara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Thank you for staying at the Hilton Odawara Resort & Spa and very pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I am very pleased to hear that you were satisfied with your overall stay and your recent stay with us exceeded your expectations. I will certainly share your warm comments with our team members. Moreover all our team members promise that we continue making the best efforts to provide the Hilton hospitality and look forward to welcoming you again in near future.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

Just completed a stunningly dissappointing 2 night stay at the Hilton Odawara with my family and can only say I am perplexed by how badly this stay missed the mark. After 25+ years of travel, both personal travel and for business, I can safely say that this stay is in my top 5 worst experiences irrespective of cost or location. Instead of being a family treat this was a stay in a dirty hotel with absolutely zero focus on customer service. The furniture in our room was dirty and stained as was the carpet and in general the room had obviously seen it's glory days in the late 70's/80s based on the classic in-wall control panels and basic bathroom facilities that would be quaint if placed in a hotel museum. Based on its location there are no local restaurant options so upon arriving we found that their garden restaurant was being used for a function so the ONLY option for food was a ¥6000/person buffet! This information by the way was delivered with the kind of dead-eyed lack of customer service panache worthy of a robot. Not turned-on by the prospect of a ¥24,000 buffet that has previously been reviewed by others on Tripadvisor as mediocre we retired to our room and decided to order room service, after 9pm when it became available??!! , and words still fail me for what happened next. We ordered fried noodles, french fries, fried chicken and fried rice for about ¥3400 which arrived in their cardboard boxes freshly microwaved!!! No 1 star hotel with dignity and honor would present something like this let alone a Hilton resort, I still think that I may have dreamed this but I do have the receipt and pictures....
Now to be very clear, the location is very beautiful and the hot spring pools ( that close at 7pm! however allowing little time to enjoy after a day sightseeing) are excellent so the resort starts out of the gates with a premium position but sadly loses all that advantage by failing to deliver any customer experience to match. All-in-all a terrible experience in an over-priced, old and dirty hotel that was so bad it overwhelmed the natural beauty of the stunning Odawara location.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Patrick G
Hotel R, Andreas Boettger - General Manager at Hilton Odawara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with detailed feedback on your recent stay in Odawara. We apologize that the hotels facilities and services did not cater to your specific needs. Our team often receive recognition for their customer service however I am sorry to learn that you didnt receive the usual high standard we would expect, and of course what is generally delivered in Japan. Our food & beverage facilities and services are also constantly being reviewed in order to ensure we cater for the guests needs here in Japan, and I thank you for your valued feedback.
Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

So, unfortunately we only had time for a 1 night stay on our way home to the US, but wanting to take in Hakone, we stayed here. What a lovely hotel. We took in Hakone, then came back to our room (half Western, half Japanese at my 15 year old son's request-he of course stayed in the tatami room). The view of the Pacific was grand. The grounds lovely, I think we were the only non-Asian visitors. Ate dinner in the restaurant, again, lovely options. I took an early AM walk on our last day, amazing compound, with walking trails, chapel, incredible SPA, and awesome SPA! I wrote in my journal...Sayonara Japan...Arigato Gozaimas.

Stayed in room 704...truly lovely...I want to return!!!

Room Tip: I loved this place, yes, out of the way, but that's what you want when you're vacationing in...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hotel R, Andreas Boettger - General Manager at Hilton Odawara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Thank you for staying at the Hilton Odawara Resort & Spa last week and my sincere appreciation to your comments on the Trip Advisor.
I will certainly share your warm comments with our team members.
We look forward to welcoming you again in near future.
Yokohama, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

Hilton quality of the accommodation and the services you expect will not fail at tis hotel, with a little additional services, such as morning coffee and newspapers at its spacious and comfortable lobby. Wish a room to be larger by at least 30%.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Hotel R, Andreas Boettger - General Manager at Hilton Odawara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
It is our greatest pleasure to know that you have enjoyed your stay.
We value our customer’s opinions about us to serve you in any better way. So should there be anything that we can do to make your stay more comfortable and enjoyable, please let us know.
We all look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

It was a fantastic stay!! I stayed at Hilton Odawara for my grand father's 80YO birthday. I made reservation on the phone. They noticed me from the previous record and recognized me. And I told them that we have a special dinner with my grandfather. They kindly arranged a nice welcome drink at the restaurant. I arrived at Hilton Odawara at midnight, however, front desk greeted me with cheerful smile and provided me a smooth check-in. The hotel staff are very kind to each guest and I am glad to receive their warmhearted service. Thank you, Hilton Odawara and I will be definately going back to your hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Hotel R, Andreas Boettger - General Manager at Hilton Odawara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
I would like to express my sincere appreciation that you stayed at the Hilton Odawara Resort & Spa and took time to send us a warm comment through Tripadvisor.
I am very pleased to hear that you & your family were satisfied with your overall stay for your grandfather’s special birthday. I will certainly share your warm comments with our team members. Moreover all our team members promise that we continue making the best efforts to provide the Hilton hospitality.
We look forward to welcoming you again in near future.
Tokyo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

We visited for a short break - 2 nights/3 days - mainly to let our 3 year old swim. We will probably visit again simply to use the swimming pool. The swimming set up us is very kid friendly. The water is heated in most of the pools, and generally there are fewer "rules" than most public swimming pools in Japan. It is a nice hotel, but if they didn't have the swimming pool complex I wouldn't visit the hotel. I would rate this Hilton hotel, one star below the Hilton in Nisseko - the room, onsen and breakfast were all better in Nisseko. The buffet breakfast was OK, but not up to the standard of the Hilton Nisseko. Your food and beverage bill will be quite large if you eat all your meals in the hotel. There was only one restaurant open, serving an expensive buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner. By "expensive" I mean you are paying prices equivalent to those at the top end hotels in Tokyo - and at least with respect to breakfast, not getting the equivalent quality. I am not a fan of buffets. I draw the line at a buffet breakfast. There is a limited and expensive in-room dining menu, and the restaurant does a limited "light" meal option in "off peak" periods after lunch and dinner. Generally, all F&B is overpriced. For example, a can of Japanese beer at the hotel "convenience store" was JPY420, and JPY 500 in the Games room ( arcade/bowling/darts/pool). Expensive for self service. They do provide an empty bar fridge in your room - so BYO F&B. The only other complaint was the soft mattress. Clean, well maintained hotel with friendly, accommodating staff.

Room Tip: All rooms have ocean view. It was very misty when we visited. Very limited visibility. Third floor c...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Kenny S
Hotel R, Andreas Boettger - General Manager at Hilton Odawara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Thank you for your valued feedback about your recent stay at Hilton Odawara Resort & Spa.
I am sorry to read that we didn’t meet your expectations on this occasion.
Our Food & Beverage facilities aim to cater for a wide variety of guests and we constantly review our buffet contents and pricing.
Thank you once again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back sometime in the future to Hilton Odawara Resort & Spa.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Odawara
Tenseien
#2 of 242 in Hakone-machi
Yumoto Fujiya Hotel
Yumoto Fujiya Hotel
#5 of 242 in Hakone-machi

Been to Hilton Odawara Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!