“dinner at the hotel”
Review of Balmacara Hotel

Balmacara Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Balmacara
Reviewed 27 May 2014

we were staying in a bed and breakfast at avernish so needed a place to have an evening meal.this hotel was just up the road so we went in. there was nothing on the restaurant menu that appealed to either of us so we tried the bar menu and decided on the roast dinner.i ordered beef my husband had pork. his meat was good-mine was what I call plastic--horrible.there was two hard roast potatoes two potato croquettes a very small portion of limp broccoli and cauliflower and peas with gravy.the surroundings were dismal and not too clean.the price was 8.50 each which would have been ok in this area for a decent meal but was not for what we had

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank daisyOswestry
There are newer reviews for Balmacara Hotel

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Very average hotel, excellent staff, excellent breakfast....bar could have been more comfortable if more fitting music played and not screaming pop music, there were no teenagers there!
Bed mattress needs replaced in room we stayed in as it had no support.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank trisharob
Reviewed 8 May 2014

When we checked in the guy on the desk told us we'd been booked into a room that wasn't very nice and he would switch our room to a better one... good start I thought. The room seemed fine at a glance, a bit tired but nothing horrific. However, we soon discovered that the mattress was thin and hard (I woke up achy) and the room just wasn't functional at all. The only sockets in the room were under/behind the bed and down beside the TV (which was an old portable the size of a stamp) so I had to dry my hair sitting on the floor by the bathroom. The shower was quite possibly the worst I've ever had... a pathetic trickle that either burned or was freezing cold.

The view from the room was great and breakfast in the morning was fine... we paid £90 through a booking website (usually £120) and in all honesty I think for what we had, that was too much. If I'd say £50/£60 was a more acceptable rate as they seriously need to update the rooms. Not surprising that this was one of the few places that still had a vacancy at relatively short notice.

If you're visiting Eilean Donan or Skye (via the bridge) then it's in a good location.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marie344
Reviewed 25 April 2014

The location is brilliant with views across the sea to Skye. Public areas are fine. Dining room service was generally good and as were meals, though desserts were just average. A big bonus was a Gaelic singing staff member to get a party mood going. Self service breakfast would be improved if tea/coffee was also self-served from hot flasks rather than put out early in pots to go cold on tables. Room furnishings are a very dated mixed collection, heating in our room did not work, a towel rail would have been an asset and the shower, as others have noted, switches from freezing to scalding in an instant - a real safety issue, as was an apparent lack of clear signing in our area re fire exits. As part of a large group, we needed to stay in a sizeable hotel; on any return visit - and there is so much still to see locally - we'll check out Trip Advisor for recommended small hotels/ guest houses!

Room Tip: Ask for a front facing room for view, though expect to hear some traffic noise in morning - group me...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Explore3947
scotskiers, General Manager at Balmacara Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your recent experience with us. I’m pleased that you enjoyed our restaurant and our Gaelic signing waitress; your kind comments have been passed on. However I was very disappointed to read of the issues that you encountered whilst staying with us and this is certainly not the level of service we wish to provide to any of our guests. I do wish you would have informed me of these issues while staying here and we could have addressed them for you at that time. I’m sorry you felt that the fire exits were not clearly marked,we have since checked all our exit signs.Please let me reassure you that the hotel fully complies with all current legislation. I appreciate your feedback

Reviewed 15 April 2014

This is the second time I've stayed at this hotel - the first time being about 6 years ago and not a lot has changed, in fact some things have got a lot worse.
On arrival the manager was very friendly, showed us to our rooms etc and he was very pleasant and happy to help so it seemed like we were off to a good start but it all just started to go a bit downhill from there really.
The rooms are very outdated but I knew this from my previous visit and wasn't expecting an awful lot, I was however in a room that did not boast one of the fantastic views that was on offer which was a bit of a shame but not the biggest problem in the world. Overall the rooms were fine, clean, comfy beds etc but there were a lot of things that could have been a lot better. The tv was tiny and barely worked but we were there for a family occassion so it wasn't the end of the world. The biggest fault with this hotel in my opinion is the bathroom. Now don't get me wrong, it's clean and has all the right facilities but the shower is borderline unusable - unless you like your showers to be skin searingly hot or ice cold (no middle ground available!) You might be inclined to say that it was just my room, but unfortunately the entire party that I was staying with also experienced the same problem. In my opinion this is a fundamental error and whoever owns this hotel has clearly never stayed in any of the rooms.
The communal areas of the hotel are fine, the bar is ok but it was really difficult to locate a member of staff quite a lot of the time and when we did no one seemed happy about being there and things like getting a drink took forever. Breakfast was ok but again, the staff were unfriendly and just didn't seem happy.
The reason for travel was a family wedding on the Isle of Skye and location wise the Balmacara was fantastic and the views are beautiful and it did not upset the weekend bar feeling slightly unclean due to the severe lacking in showering facilities. However, unless the Balmacara has a serious revamp at any point - which seems unlikely given that it hasn't changed in a while - I won't be staying there again.

Room Tip: Fantastic view from rooms at the front
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Jennifer T
Reviewed 11 April 2014

This hotel is in a wonderful location overlooking the loch. We arrived late in the evening but were able to get a very nice dinner in the restaurant.
The public areas of the hotel are very modern, bright and airy. The bedroom we had was quite dated, old-style furniture and a very small TV, though the bathroom was modern. However, the whole place was exceptionally clean and well maintained and the beds were comfortable.
Broadband and phone signals were almost non-existent due to the place being surrounded by mountains, even outside on the roadway there was no phone signal.
Breakfast was excellent, and all the staff we met were extremely friendly and helpful.
I would happily stay here again.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms at the front have great views
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 November 2013

My Husband and I stayed here for three nights whilst exploring the highlands. The Hotel was a great base for visiting Eileen Donan Castle, Kyle of Lochalsh, Isle of Skye, Plockton etc. We had a first floor front facing room with an amazing view. The room was a little tired but it was very clean and had the facilities we needed. Had wifi problems with our Iphone's, something to do with apples security settings but laptop connected without a problem and the signal was good, even in the room. We had breakfast in the hotel each morning and dinner on two occasions. Like other reviews have said the breakfast is good and we found the service great. Dinner was ok, the food was nice just something missing to give it that extra tasty factor?? We found the bar very reasonably priced. The Hotel Manager, Andrew was very welcoming and the service he provided was very good. He did appear to do a bit of everything but seemed to manage it well. Also two female staff members who we saw a few times during our stay were also very friendly. Overall we really enjoyed our stay, felt we received value for money and very good service and we would return to this hotel if in the area again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balmacara
Kyle Hotel
#1 of 2 in Kyle of Lochalsh
The Torridon
The Torridon
#1 of 1 in Torridon

Been to Balmacara Hotel? Share your experiences!