This retreat has the enormous advantage of being situated in one of the most spectacular parts of South East Queensland. The views are inspiring – the walks generally easy and rewarding. Our one bedroom canopy suite had a spa bath for 2 perched high in a position affording views to the south-west over the valley. The rooms were comfortable and spacious with a well operating wood burner keeping it cosy. There are 2 things that were disappointing. The first was that they took every opportunity to extract some more money from you – charging for everything. Adding an extra cost for guided bushwalks – which is their reason for existing – is not on; and I fancy something that has come about since we were last at O’Reilly’s about 5 years ago. We paid to do the Segway tour ( and I have no problem with paying for extras such as this) but rather than it being a glide through the rainforest as advertised it was largely confined to roads in and about the resort. I must though compliment Justin - our informative, cheerful and helpful guide and patient Segway instructor. Finally the great disappointment was the food. Guys if you want to pretend that you are a 4 star resort get a decent chef and overhaul the very limited and mostly boring menu. What was on the dinner menu was basic, boring and barely competently cooked. We couldn’t have stayed a third night and eaten there again – I couldn’t have faced it. The breakfast buffet was similar: one morning the bacon ran out and stayed that way for 20 minutes at least ( we left). On the second morning in an attempt to avoid the tasteless slop that was alleged to be scrambled eggs I ordered an omelette. Without question it was the worst example of one I have ever had the misfortune to be presented with. It was flat and chewy and burnt – literally inedible. Despite the nice room, spectacular scenery, cheerful and helpful staff the food means we won’t be back .
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Explore World Heritage-listed Lamington National Park from the best and only vantage point on Green Mountain - at O’Reilly’s Rainforest Retreat - operated by passionate by third generation O’Reilly family members whose ancestors pioneered eco tourism in Australia in 1926. Choose to stay in a cosy Rainforest Retreat guest room with expansive views overlooking the western McPherson Range or one of 48 self-contained and architecturally designed modern Villas perched unobtrusively onto the sloping hillside. Get amongst the daily activities of guided bird walks, animal shows and the famed Tree Top Walk and treehouse climb to viewing platforms above. Plus, test your skills on an off road two-wheeled Segway tour through creek crossings to Morans Falls, or bliss out in the Lost World Day Spa. Dine in the casual treehouse bar on homemade pizzas or opt for the rustic dining room with a gourmet a la carte menu including matching wines from the Canungra Valley Vineyards down the road. Order a packed lunch or picnic hamper and set off to one of 500 waterfalls via 160 kilometres of nature trails. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, TravelUp, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelsClick, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your O'Reilly's Rainforest Retreat, Mountain Villas and Lost World Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- o`Reilly`s Rainforest Retreat, Mountain Villas And Lost World Hotel Canungra
- O'Reilly's Rainforest Retreat, Mountain Villas And Lost World Spa Australia/Canungra