“Always the best”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Saanenmoser
Romantik Hotel Hornberg
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Saanenmoser
Zurich, Switzerland
“Always the best”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We've been here often. The friendliness of the owners and staff is unmatched, and it's a natural friendliness. They give you the feeling that they are honestly happy to have you and to spoil you. For a day or 3 weeks, this is the place to stay in the Swiss Alps.

Room Tip: Try to get one with a view of the Rublihorn.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Alissila

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
geneva
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Being a frequent traveller there is only one hotel in the world that I feel does such a great job for it's customers:"The Mandarin Oriental in Bangkok".To compare these two hotels is crazy I agree but the Hornberg really does a brilliant job.Christian and his staff really get the small details right.
They anticipate every need.From cleaning your walking shoes to making a picnic they just get it right.The great thing is everybody is welcome.Elderly couples,Families.young children.
Bravo to the whole Hornbery team:A class act.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank angelo65Geneva
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This hidden gem of a hotel is not only superb value if you opt for the Halb Pension but the service is sensational. Each evening and morning, the owners check in with you on your plan for the day and help you make the most of your stay, including advice on hiking, transportation deals, etc. If you are traveling solo, they also have daily trips (often hikes) somewhere, which they do not charge for. I started out on such a trip on one day led by Elizabeth and then hiked solo on a more difficult route. After the weather turned bad and the group had finished their hike, Elizabeth drove to where she knew my end point would be and waited to see if I needed a ride back to the hotel. On another day, they offered to collect me by car at the end of my hike - again for no charge.
Food was excellent and the kitchen took much care with a food allergy.
The rooms are traditionally decorated, which is exactly what I was looking for. (instead of stale 80's decor that can be prevalent in Swiss hotels of this price range). I booked last minute and all that was left was an attic room. While I still enjoyed my room, next time I would go for room that wasn't in the eaves, as it was often 26-28C in the room during the day.
The only small issue for me, was that I found the hotel on Relais du Silence and expected a super quiet setting, but the hotel is situated directly opposite the railway station, which while extremely convenient, if you are a light sleeper, depending on where your room is located, you may notice the trains arriving and leaving, starting 4:30AM. There is also a busy road just beyond the town and when the wind was blowing in the right direction, the sound of motor bikes and lorries drowned out the cow bells. If I returned, I would ask for a room at the rear of the hotel overlooking the garden, where it could be quieter.
Stay here - it's magical. I met one woman who stayed last year and enjoyed it so much she returned for 5 weeks this year, AND she booked again for next year!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Crowborough UK
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We stayed here for ten nights in June. We are used to Swiss hotels being good but this one is quite exceptional. Christian and Brigitte have selected and trained up a really wonderful team of staff who are all, every single one of them, friendly, helpful and cheerful. They give 5 star service levels but without the pretension that usually goes with 5 star hotels.

Two examples -
1. We were sitting quite happily outside on some chairs by the garden reading. One of the gardeners walks by, looks at us and re-appears a minute later with some cushions for the chairs! This kind of attention to customer care is rare.

2. Even more impressive was the help I got when, only just having arrived at the hotel the night before, I realised I had a problem with one eye that would need urgent attention. The girl on the reception desk took immediate charge of the problem, spoke to an optician and a doctor and within no more than 15 minutes had fixed an appointment for me to see an eye specialist in Thun that morning. It was a Saturday as well. That care and attention rescued the whole holiday!

What about the food? Brilliant food every evening. Theoretically four courses but you can add a salad course and a cheese course if you want and it is included. The quality of the food was outstanding and every meal was a treat. Oh and they made me a little birthday cake - see the picture below.

The rooms we had was superb - room 15 - a junior suite that had a large terrace and a beautiful view towards Gstaad, Rougemont and the mountains.

Somehow Christian manages to get to speak personally to all of the guests every day and is so helpful with advice and suggestions. Normally we work out our own hikes and trips but Christian's suggestions were so spot on for what we needed at the time that we ended up just going with his plan! It always worked out well!

OK I have now run out of superlatives for this place but the care and kindness we received there will stay in our memories. We will be back!

Room Tip: The West facing junior suites are lovely and spacious. All beautifully finished in natural wood.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at the Hotel Hornberg for a long weekend, during April 2014.

What really sets this hotel apart, is the extremely welcoming and friendly staff. Everyone, from the reception staff to the owners, was very kind, always smiling, and made us feel completely at home.

Other advantages:
The hotel is ideally situated right between some cross country ski tracks and an alpine ski track.
The restaurant is simply excellent, and all the dishes were delicious!
Very dog friendly hotel, we were given a small suite with direct access to the garden. They also gave us a small sign to put on the door, whenever the dog was alone in the room. I thought that was very thoughtful.

When it was time for check-out, I really didn't want to leave! Whenever I go back to the region, the Hotel Hornberg will certainly be my first choice!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank annafromathens
Canton of Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed 23 April 2014

My friends and I had a wonderful dinner in the restaurant. We have been served by Sandro he is superb. He offered us a double loin with Château potatoes with was lovely. I couldn't decide which wine i wanted so I ask Sandro and he proposed me a lovely Barolo which suited us perfectly. Also the owner Christian was so kind and welcomed us directly. We also enjoyed the digestif. I can absolutely recommend the Hornberg for a lovely dinner.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Lund, Sweden
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Great hotel with bar, restaurant, internet access, childrens playroom and movie room. Located right at the base of major lift connecting to a very good skiing system.
I highly recommend it! Would not suggest it to party goers as it is far away from the clubs and the general spirit of the hotel is quite calm and private.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Addy88
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saanenmoser
Golfhotel les Hauts de Gstaad
#2 of 21 in Gstaad
Hotel Alpenrose
Hotel Alpenrose
#2 of 3 in Schonried

Been to Romantik Hotel Hornberg? Share your experiences!