“Q here for disappointment”

The Westerwood Hotel & Golf Resort - A QHotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Cumbernauld
Coalville, United Kingdom
“Q here for disappointment”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

this is a large hotel situated on the outskirts of Cumbernauld and with no other local bar or restaurant to walk to. the room was cold when we arrived and we thought this may have been a moneysaving measure, but were disappointing to find that it was once again cold when we returned from a day trip the following day. the radiator warmed things up after 15 mins or so.
we ate at the hotel restaurant on the first night and found the food disappointing and expensive, perhaps reflecting the fact that it is not easy to eat anywhere else locally. the belly pork was served with what appeared to be burnt leather rather than crackling on top. we mentioned this to the waitress, but then had to mention it again at the end of the meal before we received any sort of explanation or apology. food portions were small and unfulfilling. the salmon was well-cooked but served with very few vegetables. the cheese on the cheeseboard was nice but the menu made no attempt to name or describe the cheeses served, and the waiter did not know what they were either. on the menu it was described as being served with oatcakes, but when it came there was just a handful of standard crackers. the waiter explained that they had stopped serving oatcakes due to "customer preference" but unfortunately it seems no one could be bothered to update the menu or ask the staff to inform customers beforehand. they did manage to find me some eventually.
as always at a Q hotel (we have stayed at several) the breakfast was extensive and good quality. however it appeared to be slow to be refilled, and the cooked-to-order poached eggs took a long time to come (by which time other breakfast items were exhausted and awaiting refilling). the waiting staff needed reminding to bring my wife's tea and forgot the hot water she had also asked for. no biscuits were left in the room after cleaning on the first day.
one good thing to note is that the wedding reception that was going on at the same time was in a separate wing away from the bedrooms so did not disturb us at all, but unfortunately other guests woke us in the night with their noise (presumably returning from the party). I did not see any notices advising people to be quiet so this would perhaps help.
the pillows supplied were wafer-thin and even after more were brought we still needed 3 or 4 to achieve a comfortable sleeping height. the mattress was uncomfortable. the wifi worked only very poorly in the bedroom and bar but was fine in the restaurant.
we did not try the spa so cannot comment on this.
overall we were of the opinion that this was the worst Q hotel that we have tried so far and does not deliver value for money.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Paul B, General Manager at The Westerwood Hotel & Golf Resort - A QHotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear wewonthevase,

Thank you for taking the time to write your recent review.

It's always dissapointing to read that a guest hasn't enjoyed their stay with us. We do pride ourselves on the great feedback we usually receive however we seem to have let ourselves down on this occassion for which I would like to extend our sincerely apologies.

We do set the hotel temperature depending on the seasons and external weather conditions, however as you have pointed out, we provide radiators in each bedroom that can be controlled to suit your own individual comfort. Your comments relating to the food are particularly dissapointing as it seems that there have been a umber of errors from the cooking method in the kitchen to the poor explaination relating to oatcakes froma member of our restaurant team. Please rest assured that we have highlighted your comments and addressed with the teams involved.

I think you have made a good point regarding signage to advise guests to be respectful and quiet whilst on the corridors, I actually saw this in a hotel myself only this week and thought it was a good idea. Our nights team conduct regular floor walks throughout the night to control any potential noise however additional signage could also help.

We do regularly replace our pillows and have a schedule in place to flip matresses to ensure maximum comfort, should the matress need replacing it is done so, therefore it is dissapointing that you haven't found these items to your comfort.

We would be delighted to have the opportunity to turn this around for you, please contact me directly at the hotel and I will personally ensure that you receive our full care an attention during your next visit.

Paul Bray

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
Newcastle
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We made a return visit to the Westerwood on Friday 2 May for 2 nights following several stays over the last few years. Once again we booked thru Expedia and got a great deal (not quite as good as last year but close enough).

Arrived Friday evening, check in was quick and painless and we were allocated rooms on first floor overlooking golf course.....unfortunately lift was out of action, which we immediately reported to reception who suggested we used the lift at the other end of the building which is a canny hike if you have mobility issues, whilst they investigated lift. Unfortunately the lift was still out if action the following morning but signs warning that lift was out if order didn't appear till around lunch time...really should have been done on Friday evening as people were waiting for lift.

We ate out at the Red Deer again on Friday evening (Vintage Inns) so can't comment on hotel restaurants for evening meals but breakfasts were well organised and plentiful with help yourself buffet style hot counter, cold counter and various cereals, pastries and fruit juices. Staff were polite and attentive and tables were cleared quickly and efficiently.

Bedrooms were clean (ceilings need looking at tho' as our room had a canny few cobwebs), bedding clean and beds comfortable. Information file was useless, parts of it appeared to be missing and what was there looked tatty and there was no information on breakfast timings which would have been useful as we'd fir gotten from our last visit....had to ring down to reception and ask

Our bathroom was clean and tidy tho' tap was fixed too far back so if you wanted to run water at a normal pace the WHOLE counter top flooded! The only way to escape this was to out the water on full pelt which is ridiculous. Also thought that Q Hotels were trying to be Eco friendly and not washing towels unnecessarily however this time even tho' we put towels back on the rack on Saturday morning, they were removed and replaced with fresh towels when we returned which seemed a bit wasteful to me. Shower was hot, bath clean....we LOVED the mood lighting in the bathroom!!!!!

Big thank you to female staff member who I'd seen in restaurant in Saturday morning, she was pushing a trolley towards reception this morning as I was coming downstairs with 2 suitcases, she stopped and offered help and when I said I was bringing suitcases down and going back to get rest as my Mum had a bad back, she offered to get them for me which altho' I declined, I really appreciated the fact that she had bothered to offer....not many go out if their way to help these days. I just wish I'd gotten her name off her badge to give a personal thank you.

One last thing....breakfast starts at 8am, why doesn't the pool open at 7.30am to allow a quick swim before breakfast? I'm sure a lot of weekend guests would make more use if the pool facilities if it were open a little earlier.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear iwannaliveincalabona,

Thank you for taking the time to write your tripadvisor review.

We are delighted to receive 5 stars and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Next time we would love the opportunity to have you sample some of our food in either Flemings or our Grill as we are sure you will be completely satisfied.

Regards

arbroath
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Just back from a stay at the westerwood hotel and spa and we couldnt fault it at all. The staff are very friendly and helpful. We had a superior room and it was lovely and very quiet. We ate in Flemings restaurant and the food was superb and very attentive staff. The swimming pool was nice and the jacuizzi was lovely and warm. A great hotel and we will definately be back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Engineer50Arbroath,

Thank you for you great review, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon

dublin
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Hotel is dated and tired. Staff badly trained and nervous dealing with guests. Food and drink orders wrong. Meals served with no cutlery or serviettes. No bottled water in rooms. Cheap and limited toiletries in bathrooms. Decor in need of a major revamp. Should not be a 4 star rated hotel. An average 3 star at best. Avoid!

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Dibbles77,

Thank you for taking the time to write you review.

I'm dissapointed to read that we didn't meet your expectations in terms of quality and i'm surprised to read your comments regarding our staff.

I would like to assure you that we have a thorough and regular training/eductation programme in place with all of our staff which normally yields great feedback from our guests. I will certainly ensure that the relevant Manager is aware of your feedback to allow him to address any issues.

Please do consider the Westerwood should you be visiting the area in future and please don't hesitate to contact me directly as we would love the opportunity to show you that you experience is not indicative of our usual service levels.

Ely, England
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

This is a hotel that goes the extra mile: the rooms are comfortable but the food and the staff are outstanding. Very impressed with the grill menu which offered haggis spring rolls and Irn-Bru baked Alaska. The event catering was also exceptionally good.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Ghengiskitty,

Thank you for taking the time to write your Trip Advisor review.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and it is great to read that our staff has gone the extra mile to ensure you have a great stay.

Our Irn Bru Baked Alaska is delicious if we do say so ourselves!!! and we are pleased that you enjoyed it too.

Please keep an eye out for any special offers via the QHotels website and we look forward to welcoming you back soon

Bathgate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

This is the second time we have stayed here at the Westerwood hotel and Spa. Today on checking in they had upgraded us to a superior room but it was at opposite end of hotel which was a bit of a trek it's a large hotel. I am currently on crutches due to knee injury. When we told staff the immediately moved us to a room beside the lifts and near the amenities. This room was huge with king size bed and walk in shower. The food in this hotel is amazing, and the staff are a credit to them, polite and friendly and cant do enough for you. I had pea veloute with breaded black pudding which is one of the nicest starters I have eaten. Bed was comfy, big couch in room to chill out and read. Love this hotel can't wait for next visit.

• Stayed May 2014
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My sister and I stayed Friday to Sunday (25th to 27th April),
Your staff, From Lowes (hope I've spelled this correctly) who helped arrange that we get a room with a fridge, to the lovely girls in your Spa, specifically Nicola, Gemma & Danielle are a great advert for customer service, they deserve a specific mention, I had Nicola for all my treatments, she made me feel very comfortable from the word go.

The only hiccup was the fillet steak in the Grill on Friday night - the size & quality not good! Rufal tried his best to remedy the situation, but I feel you cannot improve on a bad quality steak, although thank you to him for trying - he was also a great advert for the hotel.

We had dinner in the Fleming Restaurant the following night, seriously good & tasty food, beautifully presented. Staff members Alana, Hannah, Fiona & Emma were the only ladies I remember, very helpful at dinner and breakfast - breakfast is also very good with a lovely selection available to suit everyone.

To the GM, I cannot praise your staff highly enough, they are a huge asset to your hotel, without them, we would not have enjoyed our stay so much, and I wish I had everyone's names, and I hope that the Hotel rewards staff who make such a huge difference.

We will be back - thank you.

Room Tip: Our room in the new part of the Hotel was very comfortable, the fridge makes a difference.