this is a large hotel situated on the outskirts of Cumbernauld and with no other local bar or restaurant to walk to. the room was cold when we arrived and we thought this may have been a moneysaving measure, but were disappointing to find that it was once again cold when we returned from a day trip the following day. the radiator warmed things up after 15 mins or so.
we ate at the hotel restaurant on the first night and found the food disappointing and expensive, perhaps reflecting the fact that it is not easy to eat anywhere else locally. the belly pork was served with what appeared to be burnt leather rather than crackling on top. we mentioned this to the waitress, but then had to mention it again at the end of the meal before we received any sort of explanation or apology. food portions were small and unfulfilling. the salmon was well-cooked but served with very few vegetables. the cheese on the cheeseboard was nice but the menu made no attempt to name or describe the cheeses served, and the waiter did not know what they were either. on the menu it was described as being served with oatcakes, but when it came there was just a handful of standard crackers. the waiter explained that they had stopped serving oatcakes due to "customer preference" but unfortunately it seems no one could be bothered to update the menu or ask the staff to inform customers beforehand. they did manage to find me some eventually.
as always at a Q hotel (we have stayed at several) the breakfast was extensive and good quality. however it appeared to be slow to be refilled, and the cooked-to-order poached eggs took a long time to come (by which time other breakfast items were exhausted and awaiting refilling). the waiting staff needed reminding to bring my wife's tea and forgot the hot water she had also asked for. no biscuits were left in the room after cleaning on the first day.
one good thing to note is that the wedding reception that was going on at the same time was in a separate wing away from the bedrooms so did not disturb us at all, but unfortunately other guests woke us in the night with their noise (presumably returning from the party). I did not see any notices advising people to be quiet so this would perhaps help.
the pillows supplied were wafer-thin and even after more were brought we still needed 3 or 4 to achieve a comfortable sleeping height. the mattress was uncomfortable. the wifi worked only very poorly in the bedroom and bar but was fine in the restaurant.
we did not try the spa so cannot comment on this.
overall we were of the opinion that this was the worst Q hotel that we have tried so far and does not deliver value for money.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Westerwood Hotel and Golf Resort is a Glasgow hotel not to be missed. The contemporary hotel is ideally located minutes from the M80, only a short drive from Glasgow, in fact, it is just a mere 15 minutes in the car. The Westerwood Hotel and Golf Resort is home to 148 comfortable bedrooms which will guarantee you a great nights sleep. For more relaxation head to the leisure club where you can swim in the pool, relax in the Jacuzzi or for the more energetic, you can work out in their superb leisure club. If you prefer the fresh air, you'll be pleased to hear the hotel has an 18 hole Championship golf course. There are some simply stunning views over the Campsie Hills. It’s self-contained conference centre can hold up to 400 delegates for a conference and up to 300 for a glittering dinner dance. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Westerwood Hotel & Golf Resort - A QHotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westerwood Hotel & Golf Resort - a q Cumbernauld
- The Westerwood Hotel And Golf Resort - a Qhotel
- Westerwood Hotel Cumbernauld
- Hotel Westerwood
- The Westerwood Hotel & Golf Resort - A QHotel Cumbernauld, Scotland