“great lunch and good value for £10”

Castlecary House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Cumbernauld
Reviewed 4 October 2011

I had lunch with my mum in the bar and we found the choices on the menu good and we had 2 courses for £10. The service was good and the food was tastie, what more could you ask for. The presentation of the sweets were particularly good. The dish that I choose came with chips and I asked if I could have new potatoes instead and there was no problem.The decor in the bar is a bit tired but in my opinion food, service and atmosphere are more important.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank LuvH0lidays
There are newer reviews for Castlecary House Hotel

Reviewed 28 September 2011

Booked a bar meal for three in the snug. On arrival there was only one other person eating. Was attended to by a very attentive and pleasant member of staff. While waiting for our food a man and woman came to the bar. It was very obvious that the man had been drinking because of his language and aggressive attitude which the woman did her best to calm. They left after a time and a member of staff apologised for the situation. I was horrified to be told this was in fact the owner. As he seemed to be moaning about how quiet the bar was perhaps he should consider how his own behaviour is affecting business. If he had stayed any longer I would have felt very uncomfortable and would have left which would have been a shame as the food was excellent and offered good value for money and the staff were efficient and friendly.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank thetwowanderers
Reviewed 23 September 2011

Recently enjoyed a farewell family dinner at Castlecary on a Monday eve, there were twelve of us so I booked in advance my phonecall was answered promptly and I was asked if it was a special occasion, the lady on the phone was friendly and attentive. When we arrived we were shown to our table which was clean and well laid, the restaurant had a lovely atmosphere and we were offered the 3 course 'hav ye had yer tea' special for £10.95 which we all ordered. Our waitress was great we were well looked after throughout the night despite it being quite busy with most of restaurant full. All our meals were fresh and homemade and there was a wide choice of options on the menu, everyone was well catered for. I would not hesitate returning for another meal, Ive heard the Sunday High tea is excellent.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Trixi12
Reviewed 13 September 2011

We have been to this hotel for dinner many times with family and always find the service very good. On this visit we were staying overnight, the room was very spacious but not very clean as I found bits of dried mud in the corners of the bathroom, dark mould round bottom of shower and I also found a hair clip belonging to a previous guest. Also the spare pillow (the only one in wardrobe) did not have a cover on it so my child had to use it without. The service at breakfast was good but the veg sausage (veg and cheese sauce) and square sausage were not very nice. I would consider staying here again if the rooms were cleaner and the breakfast was improved.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank lochan77
Reviewed 10 September 2011

This hotel is a little gem, so friendly, in a nice setting. We stayed in one of the ''cottages'' in the grounds of the hotel, very comfortable room, nice big ensuite, big bedroom with everything you need for a pleasant stay. The meals are delicious, served by very pleasant & helpful staff, same at breakfast, can't fault the hotel at all, we had to leave early due to illness, but the didn't charge us for the 2nd night we were supposed to stay, we will definitely be back.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank irishalice54
Reviewed 7 September 2011

I was not impressed with the customer service in this hotel.
I reqiured a number for doctor on call at about 10.30pm and I rang reception for approx 5 mins and no-one picked up the phone. When I walked over to teh Hotel teh doors were locked and it tokk about 5 mins for teh porter to open the door. The poster then spent 5 mins looking fo r a number for doctor on call and couldn't find one!!!! He had to ring the manager to get the phone number needed. I thought was absolutely ridicuous!! I also never recieved an apology ofor the inconvience caused and instead the staff member on reception the next day argued with me when I complained about what had haoppened. I have never been spoke to teh way I was spoken to by the staff in whatr was already a stressful situation for me. I think that the staff could benefit from customer service training and a reminder on how to deal with customer complaints in an approaprite way!! Also teh room s we were in were outside in little shallets which smelt damp. The paint was peeling of teh walls in the walls in eth shower for 3 nights are bedding had never been changed and the duvet shett didn't even button up over the duvet and so we ended up most nights sleeping with most of the duvet cover off the duvet. I would never even consider staying in this hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bro w
Reviewed 4 September 2011

Stayed here for one night en route to the north of Scotland. Everything was fine, and the shower and breakfast outstanding. Having a chalet room set outwith the main hotel building was a nice change.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chantelle-Leslie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cumbernauld
The Westerwood Hotel & Golf Resort - A QHotel
The Coachman Hotel & Restaurant
Best Western Park Hotel
Best Western Garfield House Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Stirling
Travelodge Stirling M80
Travelodge Stirling M80
#3 of 3 in Bannockburn

Been to Castlecary House Hotel? Share your experiences!