“Prices in colones, check in dollars at "Special Ylang Ylang exchange rate"”

Ylang Ylang Indonesian Catering & Cooking Classes
Ranked #3 of 31 Restaurants in Ojochal
Price range: US$8 - US$25
Cuisines: Indonesian
Good for: View, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: High end Indonesian Catering Services, a Restaurant at your home or rental and personalized Cooking Classes. Discuss with us the menu, lunch dinner or snacks/tapas for your anniversary party and the number of guests in your party. We will make your party unforgettable. The cooking classes are for 1 or 2 persons and you learn how to prepare and cook Indonesian dishes in an authentic way. The result is always a meal for 2! By Reservations only at least 4 days ahead.
Reviewed 20 April 2014

1. The check was 92.000 colones and I payed with my credit card.
2. Hans, the owner, came back with a voucher for 184 dollars.
3. The legal exchange rate in Costa Rica is between 536 and 551 colones, so the check should have been between 167 and 172 dollars and therefore I asked him nicely to charge me in colones.
4. He refused with the excuse that the machine (that belongs to the Banco Nacional de Costa Rica) only works with dollars.
5. I asked him then to use a normal (legal) exchange rate (I'd have been OK with him using 536 for his advantage).
6. He responded that Ylang Ylang exchange rate was 500 colones.
7. I live in San José and I often visit Ojochal, but I'm never ever coming back to this restaurant.
8. I will complain to "La defensoría del consumidor" this week, for what his does is completely illegal.
9. The food was OK.

1  Thank Tito P
YlangOjochal, Owner at Ylang Ylang Indonesian Catering & Cooking Classes, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

I am very surprised about your review and rating and I feel the need to respond because of your attitude in this matter. Especially because your father also wrote a review in French and rated us as very good??????
You are right we only have a credit card machine in $$ because Banco Nacional gave us this machine. We do not use this as an excuse, it's a fact and we told you so when we gave you the check. For this reason we give a check in Colones and Dollars with the message when you want to pay with a credit card it will be in Dollars, this to give you the possibility to pay in Colones cash.
You decided to pay with your credit card. We offer this as a service!!!!
After finishing the process you came very upset to me and asked about the exchange rate because it should be at least 535.
After looking into it I saw the mistake and explained to you that my programmable calculator calculated with the rate of 500. At the moment you heard 500 and I wanted to suggest you a solution how to refund (cash or crediting your credit card) you turned your back to me and left with a bad temper.

I also studied your profile and reviews you gave on Tripadvisor about hotels and restaurants.
You reviewed 5 businesses and rated 1 as average and 4 as terrible and your problem is always about the price. When you enter a hotel or restaurant you can inform yourself about the prices and policies of the business.

Unfortunately hotels and restaurants have to deal with clients with your caracter and attitude and you like to give those businesses very bad reviews.
I hope it gave you a good relief, because our future guests will skip your comment because it is absolutely not in line with the other 88 excellent and very good reviews.

I hope to see you a lot more often in Ojochal because iI still love the sound of your Alfa Romeo!
Hans

Reviewed 10 April 2014

the hosts are amazing people they make you feel like you are their honoured guest. What to eat was a difficult choice to make, everything looked so good, we were peeking at other tables trying to decide on what to pick.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Fantastic hillside setting. If you can show up before the sun goes down you'll start your night off right with a killer view of the sunset and valley leading to the ocean.
Super charming Dutch couple running the place.....small, but really charming w/ some indonesian art/ decor. Hans greeted us warmly and explained the menu. It was hard to chose as everything he described sounded super interesting & amazing. We got one fish dinner and one Balinese style. So many unique flavors and mixtures of tastes. It was fantastic.
My wife loved the Chilean wine he recommended and even bought a bottle to take home.
Totally unique meal for southern-ish Costa Rica. Somewhere special to take your gal (or man, or family) for a one of a kind experience. Can't wait to go back.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Been visiting Ojochal for several years and the combinations of flavours here is in all ways isenticing. Slightly pickled cucumbers, beans, the beef rendang, all of it. The green crepes are a must. The hospitality top drawer. It won't disappoint but be prepared to pay a little more.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Prefix dinners from your choice of regions of Indonesia Ylang Ylang is a wonderful experience. Pricing is on the expensive side.