“and delicious food ... too.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of El Castillo Hotel

El Castillo Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Ojochal
Little Rock, Arkansas
“and delicious food ... too.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

There is no possible way to utter the words that will convey how perfect this hotel was. My family and I were doing the UNTHINKABLE in Costa Rica during the Christmas Holidays, we were traveling open-ended and winging it from one end of Costa Rica to the other. We booked this hotel because it just so happened that the presidential suite was the only thing left in the entire area. IT WAS NOT A MISTAKE. We felt like we had come to our second home and our staff was waiting for us at the door. NO I AM NOT KIDDING. Our days there were simply sublime. We commented over and over again how fantastic this would be for a 'girls' getaway. There are so many fantastic things that happened to us, but my favorite ... we were driving around checking local website to find a place to eat. Everything was closed. We found out that El Castillo also serves dinner. NOT KIDDING .. one of the best meals we had the entire time. Certainly ... absolutely 100% the best wine in country. Making my mouth water just thinking about it. We all became friends with the hotel kitty. "Monster" who is so cute and drinks the pool water. I have been all around the world, and I can only say that I was made to feel as though this was my personal home. I would recommend. I cried when I left. I wanted to live there permanently. There is so much more to say. I could write an entire book. I plan to return. OH did I mention the coffee. PLENTY OF high grade Costa coffee. I personally drank almost the whole pot, it was so delicious. Please go. You will love it.

Room Tip: The presidential suite was large enough for 4. We were two adult kids in the sitting area, an enorm...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank spanishchuck

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

We stayed here before heading into Drake Bay to go into Corcovado. We loved it SO much, we returned on our way out! Perfect place to stay in every way!! Beautiful views, wonderful staff, amazing food, luxury at every turn! I want to go back again and again!! What a special special find!!! If you get a chance to stay here - DO! You will be so happy you did!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Raelene461
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

From the moment we walked through the door we were in love with this place, the service was great, food outstanding, rooms clean and more than comfortable, and the VIEW is heaven on earth! Just perfect, thank you!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013

Royal treatment from check-in to check-out! David, John, Russell, Scott and the staff are the BEST!!! (We miss all of you!) We were celebrating our 15th wedding anniversary in CR.
Beautiful ocean/river views, fresh fruit and delicious meals in Restaurant Azul, and BEST Costa Rican Coffee each morning! We stayed in Suite #1 and our King size bed was quite comfortable. We were lucky to enjoy El Castillo during a gorgeous full moon!! It doesn't get better than that!
The infinity pool was most enjoyable and quite refreshing. Although it did rain most afternoons, we were still able to enjoy a couple of evening sunsets with a relaxing glass of wine.
My husband and I highly recommend this boutique hotel during your visit to the Ojochal/South Pacific area of Costa Rica! Pura Vida!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

lovely place, gorgeous view, friendly and accommodating staff, good food, fantastic infinity pool, comfortable bed,... The owner John was very helpful and friendly. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to everyone passing through this part of Costa Rica!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Tinnelox
estero, fl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013

This place is amazing, the view, the staff, the food, the rooms, EVERYTHING was amazing. 5 star cuisine and 5 star service. We had just come up from a few days of adventure in the peninsula and were just passing through Ojochal for one night. David, the manager of the on site restaurant Azul, greeted us at the door and offered to help us with our luggage, and the service only got better from there. We were so impressed by El Castillo's service and food we received I begged my husband to let us stay another night. When we asked John the GM about it, he said "Absolutely, we would love to have you another night." Scott made last minute supper arrangements for us, setting up a table pool side and candlelit over looking the Pacific, and the whole time insisting that it was his pleasure to do it. Russell, the head chef at El Castillo and their restaurant Azul, served up the best food I possibly have ever eaten in my life. I'm a picky vegetarian and I didn't need to make one modification to the food I ordered because it was fresh and clean and delicious. I cleaned my plate at every meal something that is unheard of for me. For breakfast every morning we walked down to the same table set up poolside for us since we so much enjoyed it that first night, and we never had to ask. While in the infinity pool taking a dip, I made a comment to my husband "This must be what rich people feel like when they are on vacation". El Castillo felt like our own private castle and the staff made us feel that they were there just for us, it was amazing. I got married just two years ago and I kept thinking how El Castillo would've been the perfect place to have had our honeymoon at. This place really is beautiful and you will not be disappointed, we were actually sad to leave!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Katie P
Assen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2013

Gorgeous entry: through the lobby you immediately see the ocean, the river, the peninsula, above the infinity pool a few steps away from you! Our room was spacious with a kingsize bed and the same fantastic view. Sunsets were incredible! Very pleasant, relaxed atmosphere. Good meals. Not one of the cheaper places, but well worth the money, absolutely recommendable!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ojochal
Alma de Ojochal
Kura Design Villas Uvita
Oxygen Jungle Villas
Oxygen Jungle Villas
#2 of 12 in Uvita

Been to El Castillo Hotel? Share your experiences!