“A greay romantic getaway!”
Review of Alma de Ojochal

Alma de Ojochal
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Ojochal
Clearwater, Florida
“A greay romantic getaway!”
Reviewed 8 April 2011

It was my first trip to Costa Rica! I really enjoyed the warm welcome from Celine, the manager. She was so helpful to guide me from this part of the world.
The hotel El Buena Vista is located on top of a hill. The breeze is so refreshing.The view of the ocean on one side is breathtaking. You are surrounded by flowers and tropical trees. It's a paradise for all kind of birds and if you are lucky, you will meet the monkeys!
Celine then introduced me to her husband Olivier who owns the restaurant, El Fuego, located next to the hotel. It's very convienient! I had a good time there. The food is excellent and they had a latine band on a saturday night. It was great! I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: All the rooms have a beautifull ocean view!
  • Stayed June 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 6 April 2011

I stayed for 7 nights the end of March 2011 in unit #3, which is an upper corner unit. Wonderful views and striking sunsets from on top of the mountain. I am back just a few days and already missing the wonderful fresh fruit variety every morning along with Celine's special blended fresh fruit drink. From the very first day, it just felt like a new home and I was treated like that both at El Buena Vista and their excellent restaurant El Fuego, which is within easy walking distance from the B & B. I did just that before I had a car and on the last night when I had already returned my car. The food was super and Olivier even introduced me to some of their local friends that dined there. I even joined a group of them once. Again, it was just like family. On the last night their big dog, Blanca even walked home with me and laid down outside my door. Celine helped me arrange for 4 different adventure tours in the area and even helped me rent a car for my stay. I definitely will be back and go to both places. The only difference is that I will be staying longer next time and I already have family there.

Room Tip: #1 or #3 are upper level corners, but all are good
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
Coronado, Costa Rica
Reviewed 22 February 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights & were extremely pleased with the room. Our room was #3 which had a large balcony with an outdoor kitchen & views of the Pacific. The bathroom was well done with a tiled shower. The Wifi worked perfectly in the room & on the balcony. El Fuego Restaurant which is owned by the manager is only a few minute walk & was very good. The breakfast was just so-so. The manager has little children which is a distraction. There were plenty of birds to watch & we enjoyed an afternoon dip in the pool after a day of sightseeing.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Saltspringsgirl
Huntsville AL
Reviewed 2 August 2010

After a very long day driving from the Caribbean via Cerro de la Muerte into San Isidro and down the Pacific to Ojochal, we arrived in Ojochal. And it was raining. We weren't quite sure where the property was located, just knew it was off the Costenera (Hwy) so we were pleasantly surprised to see a sign for El Buena Vista right after the main road into Ojochal! Going south on the hwy, turn left onto the road. Note: this road is very steep, sharp turns up the mountain and even though it is "well maintained" you will need a 4x4 especially if it is raining. I made it up the hill just fine, even though we didn't get out of 2nd gear!

We pulled into the entrance and up another hill to the parking area. It was raining, although not a downpour. Celine the manager came out to greet us and gave us the room key, so we could immediately unload luggage into our room. She showed us our room, and said we could come up to the rancho and check in after we got settled. Now, THAT was very nice of her considering the weather! Already we were happy.

Our room had a very large terrace with a gorgeous view of the Pacific as well as the surrounding mountains. The property itself is beautiful. There is one building containing 5 rooms. Three on the top and two on the lower level. The building is built into the side of a mountain, so both levels get a nice view of the ocean; however the top rooms (#1-3) have a kitchenette on the terrace, and a better view. Our room (#1) had a small queen/double bed, decent closet area for clothing and luggage, and a very narrow bath that was more than sufficient. Loved the large walk in shower.

The decor was simple. Even though our room was very clean, it could have used some updating. The fixtures were old, and the finishes seemed a little worn. We did not have AC, and even though it gets very hot during the day, the evenings were quite nice with a pleasant breeze. We were quite comfortable. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and I think we received more than our money's worth. The rate is VERY reasonable and the view is AMAZING. And Celine was always very nice and accommodating!

It had stopped raining, so we went to the rancho to check-in. The pool was beautiful, with nice views of the ocean. The rancho is small, but quite accommodating for the number of rooms. The owner and his family happened to be there in room #3 that evening and were at the rancho enjoying the early evening sounds of the rainforest.

They have an honor bar, if you take a beer/wine/juice/soda from the fridge, just write down what you take under your room number. Love it!

We decided to have dinner at El Fuego, which is owned by Celine and her husband, and located just down the road. Review will be posted shortly.

The next morning we awoke to the sounds of parrots, howler monkeys and scarlet macaws, not to mention the toucans. At 5:15 am. Which is when everything that moves starts chattering! I am not normally a morning person, but really did enjoy waking to the sounds of nature. We spent some time every morning just watching the birds flying around, vying for a certain tree.

Every morning at the rancho, their was coffee, breads and fresh fruit waiting. The gal who is the cook/housekeeper made this mango ginger preserve that was SO GOOD. Seriously yummy. She also made a great pinto gallo and eggs. On the second morning we didn't have power due to some seriously heavy downpours. (The whole town all the way down to Cortez was without power). When we arrived at the rancho, we didn't expect anything, but even without power, there was hot coffee and the cook made our breakfast on the grill!

The rancho had free wi-fi, so we were able to check our emails and post updates of our trip on Facebook.

Bottom line: We loved our terrace and the grounds were stunning. The room was basic, nothing luxurious, but everything was clean and very comfortable. I would definitely stay there again and would recommend this place to anyone looking for a great value.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tkdtami
KWKaty
Reviewed 23 August 2007

My husband and I just returned from a 3 day stay at El Buena Vista. This is our third visit to this lovely "Apartotel". Our room had a comfortable bed and beautifully tiled bathroom with shower (no tub). We also had a well appointed balcony overlooking the Pacific Ocean which included a kitchenette, small dining table and comfortable chair for lounging and reading. We watched numerous parrots and toucans flying past the hotel regularly and we've heard that monkeys have been spotted from the hotel but didn't see them ourselves.
Josee and Marco, the proprietors, are originally from Canada and are fluent in English, French and Spanish. They're very friendly and entertaining and offer loads of advice on the area and life in Costa Rica. Josee has also begun offering a set meal for a small fee for dinner which we took advantage of one evening. It turns out that she's a gourmet cook and it was delicious. We were very impressed. Breakfast is included in the price and includes fresh fruit, toast, coffee and freshly prepared eggs and gallo pinto.
There is a small pool on the property and we were told they may add TV's and AC to at least some of the rooms. We don't think either is necessary but evidently some people do.
The two rooms downstairs are larger but don't have the balconies. They're better suited for families (I only peeked into one and it looked nice). They'll also arrange tours or rental cars for guests.
I highly recommend it.

Stayed August 2007
2 Thank KWKaty
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ojochal
El Castillo Hotel
Rancho Pacifico
Rancho Pacifico
#1 of 12 in Uvita
MAVI Surf Hotel de Dominical

Been to Alma de Ojochal? Share your experiences!