“As brilliant as ever!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Neuchatel
“As brilliant as ever!”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Really lovely family time with some old friends and new ones too! 3 days in a Mexican paradise. The morning baby turtle release is a joy. Such a great place to wind down, relax and be a little pampered.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Fred1967

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
DC
Reviewed 28 October 2013

My wife and I spend much of our time in a busy, crowded city and every few years we like to find ourselves far, far away from anything remotely urban.

I don't think you can get much more away from urban than Playa Viva. When most tourists recount a story about being taken down a dirt road into the woods by a Mexican taxi cab, it ends up on 60 minutes. However at the end of this dirt road was a thatched roof paradise.

The food was great, the staff was attentive, there is no end of activities or, if you like, no end to the lounging. With at most 12 other guests, you can have all the company or all the privacy you desire. If you are looking for tranquility and some time to kill every busy thought in your head, this is the place.

While there I got to experience the following:
1) Turtles being released into the sea
2) Visiting a farm deep in the mountains and completely off the grid (gave me something to talk about with customs),
3) Playing soccer on the beach
4) Jumping from a waterfall
5) Yoga by the beach
6) Drinking from a coconut
7) Eating chocolate (the stuff that drops off the tree)

It was fantastic!

However, if you hate dirt, can't live without a TV, covet an air conditioner in the summer months, need high speed internet, or can't stand the thought of nothing but a mosquito net separating you from all of God's creation while you sleep, then I'd suggest you try somewhere else. For the rest of you hippies, enjoy! :)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 26 October 2013

As always, Playa Viva exceeded my expectations. The biggest highlight of my trip to Mexico/OC is Playa Viva. The spirit of Playa Viva is very much intertwined with the spirit of the community and the people in the area. I felt much closer to the beautiful spirit of the people of Zihuatanejo (and in a sense people of Mexico) just by being at Playa Viva. Your staff carries that spirit and it glows in their faces with their beautiful smiles.

To me Playa Viva is a place of serenity--it is a place that helps me "disconnect from the busyness of life and reconnect with my true self." I just wish that many people will discover this beautiful paradise. In fact, we all need a place like Playa Viva to remind us about what is important in life. I definitely like watching the turtles being released into the ocean and understanding their journey, carries a lot of wisdom about our own lives. We can learn a lot just by observing them. Which I personally find to be very enriching. I also fell in love with the horse--which I hope to ride next year when I come back. I will definitely be back.

Thank you for creating such a beautiful space and sharing it with the world. Many of us are burnout with the pace of life in our "modern world" and often are looking for a place like Playa Viva to recharge, reconnect and reclaim the meaning in our lives again. I highly recommend Playa Viva to anyone who wants to have an authentic experience of Mexico and enjoy the natural beauty of this place.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Menlo Park, California
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I recently stayed at Playa Viva and experienced one of the most beautiful stays of all my travel. The people at Playa Viva are incredibly sweet, smart, and attentive not just to you as their guest, but also to the land around them. This deep connection is hard to find and that welcoming spirit made each moment one that I hope to repeat in the future. The food is unbelievably fresh (all extremely local and wonderfully prepared) and the scenery is unbeatable. I didn't stay long enough to experience all of the activities that are available, but the eating, swimming, yoga-ing, and turtle releasing was an awesome way to spend the limited time I had. I could have easily stayed for weeks and I can't wait to return!

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I spent one night at Playa Viva before heading to a Conference in Ixtapa, and it was absolutely incredible. All of the staff were very welcoming and kind, there were snacks and drinks out for in between meals if I was hungry, the pool was very accessible, as was the ocean, and overall I loved the openness of Playa Viva. Great hammocks and common areas for you to meet other travelers. I have absolutely no complaints; great food, great people, and great spaces made it easy for me to meet others and enjoy my night at Playa Viva.

Room Tip: Any of the rooms are great, they all have mosquito nets and are very easy to air out by opening door...
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Playa Viva was exactly as I had hoped. Unspoiled but spoiling. I loved the very relaxing, family-like ambience, and even the rain pouring through my mosquito net (I failed to shut the doors and windows before a horrific storm hit) was just a reminder I wasn't at just another chain hotel on the beach in nowhere special. Sorry for the housekeepers though. They were terrific, and by the time the bountiful breakfast was over and we'd released a few hundred Olive Ridley turtle hatchlings on the beach to begin their Pacific swim, my simple, stylish room was ready -- and dry. Tempting, but I decided to nap in the hammock instead after my strenuous yoga and turtle-watching morning. Viva la Playa!

Room Tip: Get one of the ecolodges -- but if there's a storm brewing, shut your door!
1 Thank shannah26
Incline Village, Nevada
Reviewed 24 October 2013

The facility and staff were great, and we actually had the place to ourselves most of the week. The whole turtle experience was a once in a lifetime deal, and our 9 yr old boys loved it. By our estimation, we released over 3000 little tortugas. We got to see a female lay her eggs one night, and dug up 3-4 nests as well. We also we traveled to the little town of Julachuca with Johnny the bartender, who grew up there, and saw the school and the cocoanut candy factory. Lots of fun! We highly recommend this resort to anyone who loves the beach, and authentic Mexico experience, and turtles!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Petatlan
La Casa Que Canta
#29 of 79 in Zihuatanejo
Hotel Irma
Hotel Irma
#12 of 79 in Zihuatanejo

Been to Playa Viva? Share your experiences!