“Amazing beautiful peaceful oasis”
Review of Playa Viva

Playa Viva
Ranked #1 of 1 Petatlan B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Alameda, California
“Amazing beautiful peaceful oasis”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I came here on a women's yoga and meditation retreat for a week in May 2014 and it was a truly special experience. The staff are amazing and you are greeted with smiles, cold aqua fresca and cooling ocean breezes. The food is plentiful, delicious and incredibly fresh, prepared by the highly talented and professional chef, Abram. Every detail of the facility has been consciously formed out of natural resources - stone, earth, wood, leather - and it's all beautiful and done with an artist's attention to detail. It is a true retreat, miles of empty coastline (except for your occasional local fisherman throwing his nets in the surf, which makes it even more picturesque), there are no intrusions into your experience, just waking up each day and being there. I highly recommend it for anyone needing to get away from the craziness of our modern busy lifestyles. Be prepared to leave your worries at home and embrace the people and environment around you.

Room Tip: The eco casitas are great! They get good cool air flow and are very comfortable and spacious
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Lydiaceline

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I just returned from my first trip to Playa Viva. It was unlike anywhere I ever stayed. Beautiful accommodations, a private beach, and delicious food. Julia and her staff were absolutely wonderful and felt like family by the end of the trip. Between promoting physical, mental, and emotional health with yoga and meditation, and supporting the environment, you will leave a happier person than before you arrived.

• Stayed May 2014
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed 8 May 2014

This was my husband and I's second trip to Playa Viva, and it was just as magical as before.

The open-air huts and images of baby sea turtles drew us in the first time. The sound of the ocean and delicious food filled my soul, and the genuine love of life and sense of peace from the locals of Juluchuca brought us back. Playa Viva is one of those places that sounds like a dream when you try to explain it to others: "We released 200 baby sea turtles into the ocean, had lunch in the mountains with a family who grows everything they eat, came back to watch whales playing in the sunset, released more baby sea turtles into the ocean, drank basil margaritas, went for a moonlight stroll on the beach, and fell asleep to the sound of waves and the cool breeze blowing through our open air hut". It sounds like something out of a movie. Too good to be true. But at Playa Viva, it's all real. And this was only the description of one day. The magic of this place is only heightened by the kindness of the staff, the genuine love for their community and serving others. Whether it's a massage on the beach, a gluten-free, vegan meal, or a trip into town to buy as much coconut candy you can fit in your luggage, they are happy to meet-and usually exceed your requests.
Playa Viva is magic.

A few tips:
Bring ear plugs. The ocean waves can be loud, and the animals in the surrounding area can be heard during the night. Great for some people, not so great for others.
The water is gorgeous and warm and great for boogie-boarding (which PV provides).
Bring insect repellant. The mosquitos come out in the evening.
The food is amazing and you won't need to diet when you get home because of how healthy and fresh everything is.
Internet is decent, husband was able to get some work done. Hopefully you're enjoying your trip too much to need to use internet though!
Leave your stress and worries at home. You won't need them here :)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amanda R
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

My husband and I, and several friends, went down a few weeks ago, for a week at Playa Viva. It was the second time for us, and the first time for 6 of our friends. It was as wonderful as I had remembered it, and even better because it felt even more like family. My husband and I only left the property twice, because we were so happy, and our friends did some additional outings. We headed up on ATVs to a farm/coffee/cacao plantation in the mountains, stopped at a perfect waterfall, and did a short trip to the coconut candy factory in town. We took a mole cooking class, and did yoga every day. Long beach walks, releasing baby turtles, lounging, a movie night or two, and some amazing star gazing. We had perfect massages, and even more perfect basil margaritas. The food was as excellent, fresh, flavorful, and tasty as I remembered, and we got to go and visit and participate in the garden. This is truly where our vacation meets our values.

Room Tip: We stayed in the eco-casita on the end (number 8). Loved it. Last time we stayed in the larger casit...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
WV
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

What a sublime luxury eco-resort. My wife and six-yr-old and I spent six days there recently and loved it. The beach was clean, wide, and secluded, the cabanas were beautifully designed and appointed, the food was superb, the staff were both delightful and professional, and we enjoyed the other guests. There is a nearby turtle sanctuary, and our son loved releasing the baby turtles. It's in a very secluded and private area, and I wondered if we might get bored, but it was so nice just being there that we only left the property once - to go on a fabulous trip to an organic coffee farm on a mountain top. And all of this is in the context of a small resort that relies mostly on home or locally grown organic food, solar power, and many advanced sustainability initiatives with a goal of actually regenerating the land. Even the water in the pool is special - no artificial chlorine, which makes it inviting to spend hours in it. I have lived and traveled all over the world (including many trips to Bali), and I can say Playa Viva ranks in the very top tier of places I have stayed. Hats off to the owner and talented management and staff.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Laika B
Culver City, California
Reviewed 29 March 2014

First let me start by telling you that this place is AMAZING !
Playa Viva is a sustainable boutique hotel in the middle of NO WHERE (
literally you have to drive a 4 miles dirt road to get to the hotel).
It is surrounded by nature and right ON THE BEACH.
The personnel is super friendly and yet we felt treated like prince and
princesses.

There is only 8 rooms in this hotel and all the rooms are completely
open to the ocean ( check out the pictures on their website).
The beds are super comfortable and the rooms are so romantic and
beautiful. We felt like we where sleeping in a luxurious tree house.

We enjoyed daily yoga, the amazing pool, swam in the ocean, went on the
most beautiful nature walks ( and went on a hunt for crocodiles !).
We got to released tiny tiny baby turtles onto the ocean in the morning.
All the guests and sometimes the personnel shared local organic home
cooked food everyday on a huge beautiful wood communal table on the
outdoor patio.
We met people from Spain, Germany and all over the US.
We also went to visit the closest town ( 20 000 people) and the closest
village( 400 people) and it's coconut candy factory as well as the
school ( you can bring books and school supplies to donate when you go
there)

If you are looking to combine intense relaxation, lush nature, animal
protection, cultural discovery and the most perfect family destination
..... then this is your next trip.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Christine L
Reviewed 14 March 2014

My stay was ... Well it just about leaves me speechless. It's indescribable with words and only barely captured in photos. I've never been to a more amazing place.

The welcoming feeling upon arrival is overwhelming. It's almost like being at a rich friend's vacation house. The common area is spot where all travelers can gather, eat, drink, play dominos, or relax quietly in a hammock.

The room is immaculate - be advised it is open air and so there's nothing to close you off from nature. The sound of the waves rocking you to sleep is priceless. We stayed in the double suite and had no issue with noise from our neighbors.

The food, well, it could go on a food blog but I haven't met a guest who can wait long enough to get a photo of it before cleaning their plate! I traveled with a VERY picky eater and even they were pleased at each meal.

The staff is warm, welcoming and accommodating. Want something they don't have? Just give them a little while and they will attempt to get it for you. Want an excursion they don't offer? Give them some time and they'll try their best to arrange it.

I made some great new friends while staying at Playa Viva. I'm an avid travel with severe wanderlust, so I don't often consider returning to a place twice - but there is nothing that can keep me away from returning to playa viva!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Colleen A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Petatlan
La Casa Que Canta
#34 of 78 in Zihuatanejo
Bungalows Solecito
Bungalows Solecito
#2 of 5 in Barra de Potosi

Been to Playa Viva? Share your experiences!