Playa Viva
US$302
Marea Beachfront Villas(Zihuatanejo)
US$309
Hotels.com
Bungalows Arena Dorada(Zihuatanejo)(Great Value!)
US$109
US$56
Villa Mexicana Hotel(Zihuatanejo)(Great Value!)
US$141
US$136
  • Pool
Villa Carolina Hotel(Zihuatanejo)
US$197
Pacifica Grand(Zihuatanejo)
All reviewsturtle sanctuaryopen airother guestssolar powertaking long walksevery morningrejuvenating experienceatv adventureyoga classesbeach paradiseeco friendlycrashing wavesprivate paradisefamily vacationoutdoor showerocean viewlounge chairs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 March 2010

I can't describe how amazing this trip was. You truly have to experience it for yourself. The staff is incredibly friendly and do whatever they can to make your stay comfortable, enjoyable and memorable. Whether you are a lazy vacationer (like I am) or not, you will love this place. Falling asleep to the sound of the ocean rather than my noise machine was great. The food was always plentiful and delicious. It was quite possibly the most perfect amount of time at the beach. The temperature was spot on and never got too chilly for me at night.

Of course, bring your bug repellent, but the mosquitoes weren't really an issue for me.
It was hard to go back to reality after even a few days.

• Stayed: March 2010
Reviewed 26 February 2010

At Playa Viva you will find a magnificent vision being realized by owner David and his incredible team. No hairdryers or plush hotel robes here, but you will eat like royalty, enjoy your own private beach for miles, sleep to the sound of the crashing waves, and wake to the gorgeous sunrise as it streams into your window-less casita, coaxing you out of your supremely comfortable bed... for a quick morning swim. Electricity and hot water are fed by solar power; the resort is managed with great care so you will never feel anything but total luxury and the meals are truly exceptional. You can also choose from a menu of excursions if you really want to leave this incredible place. Thank you for the great escape! We are already planning our return.

Reviewed 25 February 2010

I agree with all the previous reviews. You go on the beach, look left and right, and you see nature. That's it. If you are looking for Cancun, you came to the wrong place. It was a real pleasure to feel like the beach was all yours.

The staff was truly wonderful. Besides coming through with any and every request, they also made it feel like we were guests in their own home and lives. We were more than happy to eat our meals with them, and one of them taught my kids to play dominoes. I've never felt so welcomed in any establishment like I did here.

One thing not mentioned previously is that the staff will be able to arrange excursions for you. We did two - one trip to visit the local farms and another to visit the Aztec ruins. The archaeological site is fascinating, and they are in the process of building a welcome center and museum nearby. The hotel staff found a personal guide nearby that actually has a family link to the discovery of the site, and he was a terrific surprise. I recommend the archaeology trip. It was less than a half hour drive away.

How great was my week here? Let's put it this way: I haven't missed watching the Super Bowl in 22 years. I was at Playa Viva this year and didn't watch it. Didn't bother me a bit. (Hey, that's a big deal for me!)

I raise my Corona with lime to Playa Viva!

2  Thank EyeMD
Reviewed 19 February 2010

Within hours of our arrival, my 4 year old put it best: "There's no quicking here." Everything happens at its own pace. I have never felt so alive on vacation - so unplugged from everything man made and so plugged in to the world.
All of the above reviews ring true. The kids were amazed by the waves, the sunsets, turtles, the dogs, too. We learned how to play Mexican Dominoes.

It was actually a relief to me to be able to live low-impact for a week, and it was easy because Playa Viva did all the work.
This is the perfect vacation to get away, relax, eat well- really well as in healthy, local, sustainable, fresh.
We are Kosher, and the chef was mostly able to prepare food for us. The staff became extended family for the week.
Depending on the season, bring bug spray, but remember that these guys have it all taken care of, they have spray for you should you forget.

1  Thank Oikos
Reviewed 4 February 2010

In mid-January 2010, Jeff and I spent a week at Playa Viva, an eco-resort about one hour south of Zihuatanejo. The resort is on about 220 acres of coastal land, with 3 miles of beach. It is a turtle sanctuary in which you can participate.

The setting and the facilities are very beautiful. The food is interesting, delicious, healthy, locally organically grown, and freshly prepared by expert cooks three times a day. Between meals, there was fresh local fruit and “agua frescas” made from that fruit. The resort runs on solar power. And there were many activities, including yoga, qigong, snorkeling, surfing, visits to the local farms and markets, and, of course, places to relax with a book.

From the moment we got to the place, we felt we had joined a community, not checked into a luxury resort. There were few barriers between us and the staff. Later, going on visits to the community, it was clear that we were welcome as part of that community, not as a hotel guest.

Finally, all the people we meet shared an interest in and appreciation for the wider world. We had great conversations with the people who came for lunch or just to see the place. Playa Viva appeals to people who are not just interested in their own comfort or pleasure but see a larger connection to the world. This is what makes Playa Viva unique and what we enjoyed the most about our stay.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple