Playa Viva
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hotel Club Papanoa(Zihuatanejo)
Marea Beachfront Villas(Zihuatanejo)
View Hotel
Hotel Raul 3 Marias(Zihuatanejo)
Amuleto(Zihuatanejo)
Pacifica Grand(Zihuatanejo)
  • Pool
All reviewsturtle sanctuaryopen airother guestssolar powertaking long walksevery morningrejuvenating experienceatv adventureyoga classesbeach paradiseeco friendlycrashing wavesprivate paradisefamily vacationoutdoor showerocean viewlounge chairs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 April 2010

Truly an amazing experience. The beach, rooms, property and pool are all stunning but what really sets this place apart are the people. You get treated like family and leave feeling like old friends. The sense of community at Playa Viva is intimate without feeling forced. It really is a perfect balance between community, eco and luxury. My wife and I are already trying to find a way to get back down their sooner rather than later.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 April 2010

My 13 year old and I visited the building site of Playa Viva one year ago after a beautiful stay in the sister "village" of Casa Viva, Troncones. We came back from this trip to Playa Viva (and Casa Viva) inspired to live in a new way: awareness of how delicious organic, non-fried, fresh local foods taste, sleeping ten hours with only the roaring ocean and crickets for night sounds instead of stress and thought, enjoying conversation over meals and site-seeing with like minded families that are fully engaged in their lives and in environmental concerns, an utterly perfect private beach with not a soul but the local occasional fisherman. (perhaps part of our own extraordinary meal!), learning to cook with chef Alejandro, discussing local history and purpose with the philosophical and helpful and generous manager, Julia, practicing yoga and samba with activities developer Morgan, and most of all feeling like we were part of a new home that we belonged to. After nine days of our two weeks, my 14 year old said she would never ever be bored there and that she hoped to get a job there and learn Spanish when she was 18. First she would study marine biology and learn to give back, she remarked flying home. The beauty of architecture with open airy space and exotic colorful landscaping, and hiking in the old mango, mangrove, coconut groves, and body surfing with a sandy ocean floor and discovering the permaculture of PV's big picture was mind blowing. We can't wait to go back and see what is next!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank leikamuffin
Reviewed 10 March 2010

I can't describe how amazing this trip was. You truly have to experience it for yourself. The staff is incredibly friendly and do whatever they can to make your stay comfortable, enjoyable and memorable. Whether you are a lazy vacationer (like I am) or not, you will love this place. Falling asleep to the sound of the ocean rather than my noise machine was great. The food was always plentiful and delicious. It was quite possibly the most perfect amount of time at the beach. The temperature was spot on and never got too chilly for me at night.

Of course, bring your bug repellent, but the mosquitoes weren't really an issue for me.
It was hard to go back to reality after even a few days.

• Stayed: March 2010
Reviewed 26 February 2010

At Playa Viva you will find a magnificent vision being realized by owner David and his incredible team. No hairdryers or plush hotel robes here, but you will eat like royalty, enjoy your own private beach for miles, sleep to the sound of the crashing waves, and wake to the gorgeous sunrise as it streams into your window-less casita, coaxing you out of your supremely comfortable bed... for a quick morning swim. Electricity and hot water are fed by solar power; the resort is managed with great care so you will never feel anything but total luxury and the meals are truly exceptional. You can also choose from a menu of excursions if you really want to leave this incredible place. Thank you for the great escape! We are already planning our return.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 February 2010

I agree with all the previous reviews. You go on the beach, look left and right, and you see nature. That's it. If you are looking for Cancun, you came to the wrong place. It was a real pleasure to feel like the beach was all yours.

The staff was truly wonderful. Besides coming through with any and every request, they also made it feel like we were guests in their own home and lives. We were more than happy to eat our meals with them, and one of them taught my kids to play dominoes. I've never felt so welcomed in any establishment like I did here.

One thing not mentioned previously is that the staff will be able to arrange excursions for you. We did two - one trip to visit the local farms and another to visit the Aztec ruins. The archaeological site is fascinating, and they are in the process of building a welcome center and museum nearby. The hotel staff found a personal guide nearby that actually has a family link to the discovery of the site, and he was a terrific surprise. I recommend the archaeology trip. It was less than a half hour drive away.

How great was my week here? Let's put it this way: I haven't missed watching the Super Bowl in 22 years. I was at Playa Viva this year and didn't watch it. Didn't bother me a bit. (Hey, that's a big deal for me!)

I raise my Corona with lime to Playa Viva!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family