“Lots to do”

Blue Mountain Village
Ranked #1 of 4 Tours in Blue Mountains
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Blue Mountain Village is located in the Town of the Blue Mountains, nestled between the charming communities of Collingwood and Thornbury, at the foot of Ontario's largest mountain resort, Blue Mountain. The Village offers a vibrant social and cultural scene combining unique attractions, dining and shopping experiences. There is ALWAYS something to do at BLUE including five hotels, 25 retailers, 25 cafes & restaurants, year round award winning Festivals and Events plus Activity Central to book your hiking, biking, caving, climbing, spa, and more!
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Activities for young children, Stairs / lift, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed 27 June 2014

The resort was very nice. We stayed off property and drove up to use their attractions like the ski lift, mini golf and mountain coaster ride.

The village with all the shops and places to eat was really neat. The hotels looked really nice as well. We will likely stay here next time we visit the area.

The attractions were a little expensive. I know they mentioned that people staying at the resort get a discount. I seriously hope so because we probably dropped over $120 on 4 games of golf and 4 rides on the mountain coaster. The ski lift was interesting. You get a free ride down and have to pay $15 to get a ride up. So if you find the place from the top of the mountain, you're stuck, which is how we found it. But they do have a lot to do at this resort, it's very well kept and I'd say it's worth every cent.

They could manage the coaster a little differently. We got stuck behind a scared person and rode our brake most of the way down. They could have offered a replacement ride. Otherwise the coaster is worth it, just hope you don't get stuck behind anyone.

BlueMountainVillage, VP, Marketing - Blue Mountain Resort at Blue Mountain Village, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Hello There,

Thank you for the positive review of the Village and the Resort.

I was sorry to read of your experience on the RidgeRunner Mountain Coaster. We do have a re-run ticket available for just these types of situations. Unfortunately, the operator did not notice your situation did not make the offer of a re run. I appologize for this oversight.

Best Regards,

"roller coaster"
in 19 reviews
"hiking trails"

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Before I went, I checked the Blue Mountain website to ensure that it was considered "summer" and not spring from an event point of view. I stayed from Sunday to Thursday hoping to miss the busy weekend. The village at the bottom of the mountain is very nice and has quite a few merchants (clothes, biking, food, etc). Some of the items were pricey but I was able to get a great, very light raincoat at Columbia for a normal price. I also bought some great biking clothes nearby in Collingwood.
I really wanted to do the Segway tour as it looked interesting and some of the other things if I had time as I was biking every day.
I found I wasn't able to book anything online so went in the village to get some tickets. As it turns out, the published hours on the website aren't really followed, especially for the Segway. It rained the day I tried doing the Segway, so went the next day just before 5 pm as that day (Wednesday) was a bit rainy during the day. Since it apparently was open from 10 am to 8 pm, I assumed I would have plenty of time. As it turns out, the last Segway tour of the day left at 5 pm and I just missed it. Since I was leaving the next day, I would miss the Segway tour as it doesn't start until 10:30 am, or at least that is what I was told. (There are no accurate published times and the schedule each day seems to be random; I guess you wait until the day of and hope for the best.)
The person at the cash didn't seem to know what was going on but she eventually found someone who apparently did. Similarly, I was told there was no discount for staying there by several people at the cash. After telling them to go online and look, they realized that there were in fact discounts for lodging guests.
Still another example of poor service was when I was caught in the rain. I stopped in at the Grand Georgian hotel and asked reception if they could call the shuttle for me as it is available for guests staying onside free of charge. Despite the reception area being completely empty and the two youngish receptionists having nothing to do, they told me to phone my own hotel to get the shuttle when it would have taken them less than a minute. Thankfully I had my cell with me.
In general, when asking about the resort area and where to find different things, many of the people working there didn't seem to know very much.
On another occasion, I asked a shuttle driver if I had time to go into the market to buy 2 or 3 things before getting back on the shuttle and he said that he would wait the few minutes. As I exited the shop, the driver was driving away. I ran after him calling and he stopped for me. I'm not sure why he said he would wait if he wouldn't though.
The big deal in the spring and summer here is biking. I arrived with my electric bike and was all set to go biking on the Georgian Trail only to find that anything that is not powered by a human being with pedals was not allowed on the trail. Local municipalities have decided to outlaw ALL forms of e-bikes (and anything else with a motor) was not allowed on any bike or other trail in all of the local municipalities. After checking the websites of local municipalities such as Collingwood,they say they will reconsider this but keep sending the issue to a sub committee to be studied, since 2010. Bureaucracy! This is totally unacceptable for an area that prides itself on being a great area to bike. There are ways to deal with concerns about e-bikes such as posting speed limits etc. Also, since e-bikes can be used without the motor by just pedalling, it is odd to prohibit e-bikes if used without the motor.
The highlight of my stay was my stay at Club Intrawest which is a beautiful property with a consistently high level of service. So my hotel was nice as was biking on roads in the area while looking at the beautiful scenery.
It's too bad as with a bit of training for staff together with a town council that heeds the needs of it's citizens and tourists that provide income for local residents, would make Blue Mountain a nice place to visit. Based on my experience, I won't be in a big hurry to come back.

Hello There,

I was sorry to read of your experience while staying with us at Blue Mountain. We do publish opening a closing hours for all of our activities and keep to the published times unless weather or trail conditions force us to change operations. However, that does not excuse the indifferent sevice standards that you experienced at the Guest Services and Front Desk locations.

Please feel free to contact me at ppinchbeck@bluemountain.ca as I would very much like to discuss things further with you.

Best,
Paul Pinchbeck
VP, Marketing
Blue Mountain Resort

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Third stay at the Village of Blue Mountain. Stayed at the Mosaic. On our second day we went to town to buy some groceries for dinner and breakfast the next day (room has a full kitchen). When we returned, about 2 hours later, with groceries in hand, we found that our lock would not accept any one of our three key cards. We asked the housekeeper a few doors down if she could let us in. She said for security reasons she couldn't. I asked if a burglar would bring groceries. She said "Sorry, you'll have to go down to reception." She also sent a text or message informing someone of our issue. When I reached the reception desk and explained that three of us tried our keys and the door would not allow us to enter, she (Amber) explained that I had to turn the handle when the little light flashed green. I explained that this was our second day and we had entered and exited the room several times. I explained that I understood the concept of a key card and door handle. At that point she checked the card and said, the key is fine and I should try again. I explained that all 3 cards did not work. She continued to say " give it one more try". I asked if someone could come up with me with a key (an actual key, the door lock has a key hole) she said they could not do this. I went back up to try again; no luck. This time the housekeeper agreed to try her key - it also didn't work. Back down I go. This time I asked to speak to a manager, I was told that there is no manager around and they would have to call to another bldg. So I speak to the manager, he tells me that engineering are the only people with a master key. I explained that I was sitting in the hall with groceries and I felt like a vagabond just sitting there as people walked by. I went on to say "what if I really had to get in". Darren the mgr, said that it was unfair for me to use a "what if example". He assured me that it would be a short wait. 45mins later, the engineer showed up and asked for the name the reservation was under. Mind you he had a black tool box, a name tag, not an ID badge, just his first name. So we give him our last name, he said " thanks, that's all I need". He opened his tool box. In the top tray the eng. had two screwdrivers, a few screws and odd pieces and small tools, and a key on a white pull tie. He picked it up and opened the door.
As the eng. worked on the lock I called Darren the mgr to let him know how great the security measures he had in place are and how much easier it would have been to have reception confirm my name and other personal information and walk up with us to let us in (there were two staff working). He said, "what if you lied about who you were". I asked him if "what if" scenarios are only appropriate when it suits the resort. Darren finally said, "sorry" for the inconvenience". I said that after contacting 4 resort staff, two long walks, 4 elevator rides and two phone conversations, this was the first time someone actually apologized for my family's inconvenience. Darren offered a 10% discount, I asked if he thought that was an appropriate discount for this type of inconvenience, he asked what I thought was appropriate. We negotiated for a bit and settled on an appropriate compensation. One last thing, I told Darren that I would add my review to Trip Advisor. He said he would look forward to seeing it. Lesson for the Village management: people stay at your resort to relax, enjoy the comfortable and well equipped rooms, sight see, shop, and forget their hectic life for a few days. This experience left a bad feeling for me and my family, I should not have to go through everything I did because of a mechanical issue that was corrected by a turn of a key.

7  Thank Pastor555
Reviewed 8 April 2014

It was a short visit. The kids love the place. Great for taking pictures. The restaurant's prices are a little bit steep for me but only expected with places like these. The kids had a great time playing in the snow. We'd likely come back again should there be an opportunity to do so.

1  Thank alg0
See more reviews
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I would like to commend the staff at Blue Mountain for accommodating me (a new mother) and my needs perfectly this winter. I wanted to plan an adults-only overnight getaway to Blue for a day of skiing on Valentine’s Day but I wasn’t sure it would be possible. I am breastfeeding my child and when I’m away from him, I need to pump at regular intervals in order to maintain my supply of breastmilk.

I called the main phone number at Blue one day in early January and explained my situation: that I was breastfeeding my child and needed a private place (with an electric socket and a door) to use my breast pump on the mountain. The staff member I spoke to wasn’t sure what my options were but promised to ask around and get back to me. I was pleasantly surprised when someone did actually get back to me to let me know that the daycare (Kids at Blue) would be able to accommodate me and then put me in touch with Susan at K@B. Susan and I spent a week playing phone tag to try to get the details organized. As a new mom, getting to the phone is tough but Susan never gave up on calling, which I know would have been easy to do. We eventually managed to connect and got the details sorted out.

Fast forward to one month later when my husband and I finally made it up to Blue for Valentine’s Day. I showed up at the K@B registration desk and explained who I was. Susan happened to be there, remembered my name (a month after the fact!) and then personally walked me to the room I used and introduced me to the staff there. They gave me a little corner of the kids nap room and barricaded me off with mats for a bit of privacy. I was able to change in the bathroom attached to the room, where I was also able to wash my equipment afterwards. While pumping, one of the staff members even offered and then brought me a glass of water, which was very welcome! I was able to do what I needed to do, while staying at the mountain and I didn’t have to sit in a freezing cold bathroom stall or trek all the way to the car in ski boots to get it done.

As the mom of an infant, each day can feel a bit like Groundhog Day (same routine, same responsibilities, no break); a day off to yourself makes a huge difference. I have been skiing for over 25 years and there’s nothing quite like that feeling of flying down a perfect run on a sunny day. I want to thank Susan and the rest of the staff at Blue for letting me experience that feeling again. Back in January, I was a little surprised to find out that Blue doesn’t have a nursing room for such a large and family-friendly resort. Despite that, I really feel that everyone I interacted with on this journey went the extra mile to ensure that my needs were met and that I could enjoy my day at the mountain. Great job everyone!!!

3  Thank LittleRedSuitcase