“Klang Bak Kut Teh”

Cuisines: Chinese, Malaysian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Went there on a Klang colleague's recommendation. The restaurant wasn't difficult to find - just get off at the correct exit on the Federal Highway and make a U-turn.
Klang is reputed to be where bak kut teh originated although Johor Bahru/Singapore might dispute this. Difference is the soup in Klang has dong quai as an ingredient while in the south it is ginseng based. Thus Klang soup is thicker and more distinctive while Johor soup is milder and lighter. Preference largely depends on your taste buds. I happen to like both.
The soup here is very good, almost as light as the southern type. Meat was tender without being overcooked. What really swung it for me was the pig tendon. Soft and juicy. They charge RM18 per head but to try more things just order more varieties like I did as I was eating alone.
Wholeheartedly recommended.

1  Thank sychowlao

Reviewed 8 January 2014

We visit when we have friends in town as it's near where we live Otherwise we cook it at home because you can buy the herbs quite easily in Klang and adjust to your taste. The main reason for eating here is the experience - making the tea and choosing whether you want claypot or regular, or side dishes. Otherwise, the service is quite quick and matter of fact, don't expect a hovering waiter attending to your needs. All the things you need, cutlery, crockery and tea, are plonked on the table and after that it's DIY. If you're not sure what to do, watch the people at the next table as they make the tea, it's a bit of a ritual. The person doing the job should sit near the boiling kettle, keep the kids away. All in, the food is not bad and they usually have the cut of meat we want, but don't go after 2pm.

1  Thank LesleyKlang
Reviewed 23 October 2013

not as good as what i expected.. soup no herbal taste.. expensive somemore.. i doubt why the place is always crowded eventhough the food standard has dropped compared to few years ago..

Reviewed 4 July 2013

Is this the most famous Bak Kut Teh in Klang???? I have a doubt..
Maybe the taste of the bak kut teh has changed, not as good as the old time. It really disappointed me. Only if you prefer lighter taste. By the way, it is not really bad but the soup has lost it's after taste of herbs aroma. And the last thing is: It is soooo SALTY!!!
So, if you like Hokkien-style thicker soup, i would recommend Mo Sang Kor with a punchy, robust flavour you can’t forget after the first sip!

Reviewed 30 March 2013 via mobile

I'm very critical in terms of bah kut teh, a herbal soup based that cook with pork and must be served with Chinese tea. It's one of my favourite food. And Klang, a town synonyms to the birth place of bah kut teh, its my home town and I had explored many bah kut teh restaurant.

The one that's being served here is decent enough to lure non-local customers.

The soup is too starchy, meat is too soft to my liking. Also, the taste of the soup is not strong or thick enough to satisfy my taste buds.

My advice is, there are better alternatives even though this place is just decent enough to satisfy your appetite.

1  Thank Radiikal