“Amazing service and food”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Forts of Bengal - CLOSED

Forts of Bengal
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti, Bangladeshi, Eastern European
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
“Amazing service and food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner went here for the first time recently, and we will definitely visit again.

Starters were amazing, and the poppadoms came with the usual dips and an amazing coriander chili sauce which had a very fresh, homemade feel to it. (Though it probably wasn't in honesty, but it was delicious).

The main courses were fantastic. My girlfriend commented that the Dhansak was the best she's ever had. My mixed tandoori grill was delicious and came with a very tasty (albeit quite generic) curry sauce accompaniment.

We ordered a few other bits, and all in all a huge meal came to just over £40 for two with drinks included.

One slight issue came when the meal was finished. We asked for the staff to box up our leftovers to take home (never too proud). Unfortunately, whilst the tandoori was given to us in a takeaway box, the curry sauce and Dhansak were regrettably binned. When I politely pointed this out, the staff member hurried to the kitchen and, without question, brought us a totally fresh curry (I presume... Unless someone else had just sent back a Dhansak.) I knew it wasn't the same one as the curry had magically changed from Prawn to chicken. So we at least got an extra bit of curry out of it! Unfortunately, the tandoori curry sauce never arrived and I was a bit too ashamed to make a second query about it.

To top it off, the bill came with two free glasses of baileys to wash it all down. I'm not sure if this is standard or whether it was an apology for the binned Dhansak, but either way it was a lovely touch.

All in all, an amazing meal, good service and a good price. I will go again!

1 Thank Thomas Nimbus K

“Very average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Firstly Saturday night and pretty empty which should have given us warning signs even though Sale was pretty busy. Secondly they only have one CD with the same song being played repeatedly.....v v annoying. Food was v average it reminded me of having Indian meals like 20 years ago...starters dry and tough...mains not much better....nice naan bread. Service was okay nothing special a bit aloof....don't get some of the other reviews but this is my personal experience....compared to East is East, Akbars and Lal Quila in Manchester pretty disappointing would not recommend.

3 Thank Darren S
“Nice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

Excellent service and food. Staff could be a little friendlier. Good value. We had to go in on the last minute due to a poor experience at La Linguine

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Valerie C
“Always reliable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Paid another visit last month, busy saturday night, first class food , drink & service as always. Would not have bothered writing another review for the "Forts" but noticed a new Indian had appeared from nowhere & almost overnight with top class reviews sending it to second in the ratings in Sale....remarkable! I'll be checking it out soon. I hope its as good as it appears to be.In the meantime.Keep up the good work at the Forts.They seem to be finally getting some recognition on Trip Advisor after years of top class service

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank giskard2000
“STD2”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Been going here for many years & never disappointed. Have celebrated birthdays, weddings, Christmas & plain old weekends. The service is always excellent & the food very good - if you can't decide what to have or don't know what various dishes are, the staff will make helpful suggestions & will even make up a dish exactly to your taste. That's service for you!

1 Thank STD2