“excellent bed and breakfast + bar resturant”

Eskdale Lodge Hotel
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Sale
Cardiff
“excellent bed and breakfast + bar resturant”
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I have been staying in the Eskdale lodge for three days a week for the past year. I originally found it through a search site and read some reviews, I am delighted with what I have experienced over the past year. Excellent helpfull staff, very clean facilities, bed linen always spotless and fresh. The owners will do anything they can to make your stay a stress free situation. The bar downstairs is very popular within the local area, an area which in itself is very well presented. Even with the bar and resturant being so popular, they is very little noise in the rooms upstairs, unlike most B&B's around Manchester. I spent most of my time in room one or two, which are both directly above the bar area, quiet comfortable sleeping. To top it all, the breakfast is probably the best breakfast I have had not only in Manchester, but many other parts of the country as well. I have now come to an end with my working in this area, but I will definately be comming back to the Eskdale when I need to come to Manchester again. Very happy.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
EskdaleLodge, Owner at Eskdale Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
Good afternoon Phil and thank you very much for your kind review.
I am delighted that we ticked every box for you over the past 12 months and hope to again in the future. Fingers crossed we see you again next season when the reds are playing.

All the very Best

Garvan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Amersham
Reviewed 14 April 2012

A venue obviously well respected by local people, a busy bar and restaurant when we were there on a Friday night. Reasonable pub grub with wine not to outrageously priced.

Our room (1) was large but the decoration felt tired and the bed needs replacing seems the springs are broken.

Not really a 5 min "stroll" from metro.

Bizarre breakfast charges! Two poached eggs, slice of toast for this hotel is a "full English" and is charged accordingly. And "continental breakfast" is slice of toast and a spoonful of jam, croissant or brioche afraid not.

Lots of stairs this is probably not for you if you have mobility problems.

Room Tip: Don't go into room 1!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
malta
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Very comfortable room, great food (especially the soup & the lamb) & excellent service. We stayed with our two year old and enjoyed our stay very much. Thanks to all the staff.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
EskdaleLodge, Owner at Eskdale Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Thank you very much for your kind review. It was our pleasure to have you stay with us and I hope that you had an enjoyable onward journey in Scotland.
We hope to see you again.

Many thanks again.
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Very busy with local people.
Spacious , superior room on 1st floor.Comfortable bed, but central heating went off during the night and our room was cold.
The hotel in general is tired and needs refurbishing and decorating.
Cooked english breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your review.
First of all may I apologise for the heating. We had a problem with the boiler on the day you stayed and the heating should had been kept on all night to get the temperature back into the building but this was overlooked and turned off at midnight. I am very sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused you.
In regards to the general maintenance, this is an ongoing programme. We updated all our bedrooms in the past 4 years. Two years ago we refurbished the restaurant and last year we fully refurbished the ground floor bar and public toilets. I will be updating our website with pictures in the very near future.
This year I have put a new en-suite in the family room and currently refreshing the cellar bar.
I presume you refer to the public area upstairs outside the bedrooms that is looking a bit tired and this is also getting refreshed slowly over the next few weeks.
The forth bridge springs to mind!
Thank you for staying with us and I hope to see you again soon.
Kind Regards
CumbriaUK
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I planned to stay here for a weekend, for a family get together where 5 of us were going to see the X Factor Tour. My sister lives close by and normally we would all stay together there, however due to me being heavily pregnant and having disturbed sleep at the moment I decided I would stay here for the weekend so I didn't disturb everyone else in the house.
Big Mistake.
I checked in around 6 pm and dropped off my bags. On the surface the room appeared spacious for one person and more importantly clean. I then left to spend the evening with my family, returning around 9.30 pm to get an early night. Firstly I had a shower. The trickle of water out of the shower head was a joke, it would have been far easier attaching a hose pipe to the sink and using that in the shower cubicle, as I literally had to run around under it to get wet. Then when I happened to glance at the plug hole there was a hair ball of long black hairs on it, disconcerting to say the least when I have very short hair.
Next comes getting into bed. I pulled off the throw to reveal what looked like a clean duvet cover, however when the duvet was pulled back the fitted bed sheet revealed its own horrors. It was rubbed so thin it was transparent, and very "bobbled". I have nothing against old bed linen, provided it was once of a good quality and is still perfectly functonal. However this was clearly cheap, old and nasty. It wouldn't even have used it as a floor cloth it was so thin. Next came the stains. There were flecks all over it where I suspect blood has been washed out of it on a number of previous occasions. Roughly where you chin would be if you had your head on a pillow was a large discoloured stain. I strongly suspect this has been sicked on at some time in the past and washed. Not very nice at all.
So by this point I decided I would fold the duvet in half and sleep between that, so I pulled one half over the other. This revealed that the duvet cover hadn't actually been pulled down to the bottom of the duvet properly, so I had an excellent view of the actual duvet underneath. Disgusting. Stained a whole range of browns and yellows. By this stage my mind was firmly made up so I went and told the staff of the state of the room, and the fact I wasn't going to stay nor was I prepared to pay anything. To their credit they accepted this so by 10.30 pm I returned and spent a lovely time at my sisters, despite keeping people up during the night.
I would certainly not recommend this place to stay, despite it being in an excellent location for the city centre and relatively close to a metro stop and the M60.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank AlDantravels
EskdaleLodge, Owner at Eskdale Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 20 March 2012
Many thanks for leaving your review as customer feedback is always important to us.
Sorry that I have not responded earlier but I was only made aware of your review last night by a regular customer of ours. I found your review of my hotel extremely upsetting, very unfair and immensely damaging to my business.
Cleanliness is of paramount importance to us here and in all our years, to my knowledge, this is the first time that this has been called into disrepute. We have well over 100 reviews on the Internet to back this up.
Unfortunately on your hasty departure many of the points you have brought up in your review we not mentioned to us. When you approached a member of staff to say that you were not satisfied with your room you declined the offer of a new room without viewing, and claimed that you would prefer to stay with your sister. This was the first case of this type and I felt my staff acted very appropriately by confirming that you would not be charged for your room, and assisting you by carrying your luggage from your bedroom to your car.

I will try to address the points you have mentioned.
We have had a long-term illness to our housekeeper so please forgive my vagueness. I was only made aware of your complaint of the duvet and checked it the following morning. I was far from happy with the age and state of this so changed it immediately. This led me to check all the duvets in the hotel and I have replaced all the ones that a felt we showing any signs of age.
As for having stains on the sheets, this is the first I have heard of this so I cannot comment on your experience, but I have taken all our sheets out and I cannot see any sign of these. What I have found, however, is that some of the sheets were aging, which I like to think my housekeeper would have pointed out to me, and they have been replaced. As a 4 star establishment you are not allowed to have inferior bed linen, but your comments have been taken on board and I have “upped” our new linen to 100% Egyptian cotton.
In regards to the shower, I have tested it this morning and found no fault with it at all. This has led me to think that perhaps you were not aware on how to use the shower, so I am going to print clear instructions and post them by the shower door. In regards to the cleanliness, it was perfectly clean today, although your stay was over three weeks ago so again I cannot comment.

I’m very sorry that you were not satisfied with the level service provided to you, and just wish you took us up on our offer of trying another room to attempt to rectify any issues rather than staying at your sisters and then issuing us our first 1 out of 5 rating on the world wide web.

Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2011

good rooms great food and exelant service will stay again in future.

Room Tip: Small family hotel given a choice of rooms all looked good
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
EskdaleLodge, Owner at Eskdale Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 5 December 2011
Thank you very much for your kind review. It was great to have you stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2011

Was reccomended by a work colleague.
a very friendly hotel
Great staff
Great food
Great rooms
Great price.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review, customer feedback is always important to us. It looks like we have ticked all your boxes and hope to continue to do so in the future.

Garvan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sale
The Lennox Lea Hotel
Travelodge Altrincham Central
Victoria Warehouse Hotel
Victoria Warehouse Hotel
#3 of 3 in Stretford

Been to Eskdale Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!