“Nice hotel, absolutely diabolical customer service, I wouldnt rely on them to feed the cat”

Plas Hyfryd Country Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Narberth
Reviewed 10 September 2013

This hotel stay was booked some time in advance, yet we were contacted a week before our stay where we were advised that our booking could not be honoured for that date as the hotel had double booked. We changed our dates and the hotel suggested that we could have a meal or bottle of champagne as a goodwill gesture for the inconvenience. After several phone calls and emails it transpired that the hotel were willing to pay for our first round of drinks at the bar only, and not in actual act what they had originally suggested as this had not been agreed with the "manager".

We decided to travel to the hotel anyway, and on arrival nothing was mentioned with regards to an apology for the double booking, nor any mention of the goodwill gesture. Fine, we checked in and the room whilst on the small side had been recently decorated, however :

*Mirror was hanging off wall in bathroom - we reported this and were advised someone would fix this, mirror was still hanging off when we checked out.

*Used toiletries left in bathroom half used. Dirty bath mat.

*Tea facilities and complimentary water had been used and not replaced (someone elses half drunk bottle of spring water.. yummy)

*Water mark on ceiling above what I can only imagine was the toilet of the room upstairs which you could plainly hear every time they flushed.

We went for a walk and on our return decided to order some drinks for the terrace. Around 20 minutes later I had to go back to the bar to find out where the drinks had gotten to as we were still waiting, apparently there was only one member of staff who could make a pimms. This was starting to feel a little bit like fawlty towers, the main problem I think is that they have way too few staff for a hotel of this side and they end up forgetting orders etc though there seems to be an abundance of "managers" however, none of which wanted to speak to the customers or have any dealings especially when anything hands on, like serving or taking orders is concerned, nor could they take ownership for anything that another of the "managers" had agreed to - sounded very much like passing the buck.

We eventually after waiting until our second day of the stay had to approach and speak to a "manager" at the hotel with regards to the goodwill gesture we had been promised who begrudgingly sent us a bottle of prosecco after an hours wait ( which is a far way from the £50 bottle of champagne which had been originally intimated ) but by this point we just wanted to leave the hotel as we felt very unwelcome.

The bar and reception back on to each other and I think the staff sometimes forget this when they are speaking to each other and customers. Other highlights of this stay :

>Gentleman swearing angrily and gesticulating at another gentleman in the car park one evening and then the next day could be found behind the bar.

>Female "manager" walking away half way through serving us drinks to answer the telephone, and then not returning.

>Male "manager" talking to members of staff as if they were something on the bottom of his shoe quite openly in the reception area. I was particularly disgusted with the way he condescendingly spoke to one member of staff.

>Female "manager" speaking to a customer on the telephone on the reception desk and then openly insulting the customer verbally once the call had ended.

I cant comment on the hotels restaurant as we didnt eat here other than for breakfast which was adequate, we felt quite insulted by the service we had received and considering it was the hotels issue that they had overbooked in the first place we would have expected better than this, even just an apology when checking in, but even this was too much effort. As it transpired the "manager" that we had been liasing with and had agreed the goodwill gesture in the first instance had been on reception when we checked in and so knew who we were, but failed to even acknowledge us and made himself scarce for the duration of our stay.

Dreadful attitude to customer satisfaction and service by the management of this hotel.

Anyone considering booking here would be well advised that the management have little apparent respect for their staff let alone their guests and this is evident in the attitude that we were shown during our stay.

Their website states "You are very welcome" and "Hotel Plas Hyfryd is superbly located to take a peaceful ‘away from it all’ break".

Needless to say I would find that statement principally flawed. Avoid.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Spoilsburytoastboy

Reviewed 9 September 2013

We stayed using a Groupon deal during August and will defiantly return. I phoned ahead to confirm the booking a few days before and to check the room would be big enough for a pull out bed for our daughter, the room allocated wasn't but they called me back 10 minutes later with a more suitable room. Really excellent service.
The room we had was on the top floor (I think it was room 14), plenty of room for the provided pull out bed for our 2 year old. The room quality was good, we all slept really well, everywhere was spotlessly clean and staff helpful. Breakfast was plentiful and tasty.
The best thing for us was the location, only a 2 minute walk to Narberth high street, 20 minutes from Tenby and 10 minutes to Folly Farm. We had a great family break, would strongly recommend staying here for a base in West Wales.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I purchased a Groupon deal for a two night stay at this hotel and booked to stay on a Thursday and Friday as a surprise for my partners birthday, we were really looking forward to it but one week before we were due to arrive I had a voice-mail from the hotel to say the Friday we had booked was no longer available due to a 'mix-up', not the best start! When I called I was informed that they had a wedding booked in and that they had 'forgotten' to block book the rooms meaning they were having to cancel all the Fridays bookings! This just happened to be the day of my partners birthday so I was really disappointed but as we had a rare week off work I agreed to change our days of stay so as to avoid having to cancel all together. Because of the Hotels error I asked what they were prepared to do by way on an apology and from here things went downhill fast! Initial discussions with an employee at the hotel 'Sam' who I now know is some sort of Manager got me nowhere. I asked about a room upgrade or maybe dinner at the restaurant, not unreasonable, but I was told he had to confirm what they could offer with his Manager. I asked for a callback from said Manager and was promised this for the following day, didn't happen. I arrived at work on the Monday to an email offering a bottle of champagne?! All very well and good but myself and my partner are not fans of champagne so I asked could they simply discount dinner at the hotel by the same price as the champagne, this apparently could not be done why I don’t know and so instead we were offered a bottle of wine or one round of drinks?! We later found out you get the wine free anyway if you eat at the hotel!! As we seemed to be getting nowhere fast I agreed to the champagne but I emailed the hotel to express my dissatisfaction, to date they have not even bothered to reply.

We decided to try and put all of the above behind us and try and enjoy our break, we thought at least we would get a warm welcome, a nice room and a bottle of champagne. Upon arrival we realised none of these things would be forthcoming! No apology was given when we checked in, the room we were allocated was not the best (mirror was falling off bathroom wall reported but nothing done, used complimentary shower gel left in bathroom and not replaced, half drunk glass of water with open bottle left out on the table, tiny window with no view) and best of all no champagne! In fact not even a mention of ‘when would you like it’. Still optimistic I thought give them time, maybe when we go down to the bar they will address the situation, but nothing. We decided to order Pimms at the bar as the Hotel advertised ‘enjoy a Pimms on the terrace’…we had to wait nearly 30 minutes and ask where the drinks were to be told nobody knew how to make it?! We were treated to overworked staff who appeared to be covering reception/bar/dining area with no organisation, we overheard the Manager very vocally slating some future guests after she put the phone down in the reception area, all in all not a good impression of the place. As far as the champagne went…we waited….and we waited. By 5pm on day 2 I decided to go and ask what was going on, not something I should have had to do. I was spoken to by a very abrupt and disinterested Manager, who barked at me ‘you can have it with your dinner later as per your conversation with Sam’. I politely informed her we were not booked in for dinner as I begrudged spending any more than necessary at this Hotel, she demanded my room number and said she would ‘sort something out in a while’ as she was busy with a potential wedding couple she was in the middle of a meeting with?! Finally about an hour later a knock at our door and an ice bucket turned up. Finally champagne (or so we thought) only to discover a £15 bottle of Prossecco! I presume she had decided that we would not know the difference! By this point I just gave up. The break had been awful from start to finish almost entirely because of the total lack of customer service though I may add the rooms were so noisy we could even hear the couple above using the loo! All it would have taken to make this stay what it should have been was a smile and a sorry and the bottle we were promised in what should have been our nice room. Instead we got rudeness and a general attitude of ‘as your on a Groupon break we owe you nothing’.

All in all I am just thoroughly disappointed with the whole experience. Being a customer Service Manager myself I know how easily avoidable this could have all been. I pride myself in giving fair and thorough reviews and I know this Hotel has many good ones but I will not ever return to this shoddy disorganised place. It could be lovely but the rudeness of the staff and the catalogue of errors ensured that our stay was thoroughly ruined from start to finish.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank bethdavies
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Attended a wedding on the 31st August and was welcomed by friendly staff. Beautiful surroundings, perfect for the occasion. Food was excellent and very well presented. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Slept well, floor was a bit creaky, laminate, but on the whole, fine
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We recently held our wedding at the Plas and it was amazing. Words can't describe how helpful Erika and her team were, the organisation approaching the day was marvellous and we felt completely supported.

During the weekend all the staff (from the Assistant Manager through to housekeeping )were professional, efficient and above all friendly - all our guests commented on what a great choice. Some larger places may appear a better choice - but remember a place is only as good as its staff and it is obvious at the Plas, they all love their jobs.

We can't thank them enough, if you want a perfect wedding - this is the place to go in Pembrokeshire.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 August 2013

I booked a 2 night stay at the Plas Hyfryd Hotel through Groupon for £79.00 and was really pleased with the hotel. We were welcomed at reception and told everything we needed to know for our 3 day stay. After reading the reviews for room 12, I was a little bit worried when we were told we would be staying in that room but were assured as soon as we entered the room. It was clean, tidy and comfy. We had breakfast both mornings with a large selection of juices, cereals, fruit, toast and cooked breakfast. The staff couldnt have been more helpful and we were advised of places in the local area we could visit. Would stay here again if we had the chance. Lovely, quiet visit.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I stayed at the Plas Hyfryd whilst working in the local area for a few days. Staff were very hospitable, the room was clean, comfortable and everything worked! It was nice to have bottles of mineral water left in the room every day.
The restaurant is a little formal but the food was of a good standard. The grounds were lovely and it was very pleasant to sit out in the warm evening sunshine.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Narberth
Grove of Narberth
Wolfscastle Country Hotel
Wolfscastle Country Hotel
#1 of 1 in Wolf's Castle
Broadmead Boutique B&B

Been to Plas Hyfryd Country Hotel? Share your experiences!