“Another great stay and so say all of us!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Devils Punchbowl

The Devils Punchbowl
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hindhead
Herne Bay, United Kingdom
“Another great stay and so say all of us!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

The Punchbowl is excellent value for the money. James and the staff could not be more welcoming, friendly and helpful. We go every three months and are not disappointed. The hotel is being upgraded all the time and is always busy. It's unfortunate that some guest have not had a good stay but if they want 4-5 star accommodation they should be willing to pay 4-5 star prices.
Thanks again and looking forward to our return visit with excitement.

Room Tip: When booking ask for rooms that have been upgraded
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

We stayed in a double room (203) in some kind of annex at the end of several corridors and down and up some stairs, which made carrying the luggage back and forth quite tedious.
The room itself was dingy and shabby - stained carpet, insect corpses stuck to the wall where someone had squashed them, decor from the 1950s, low-ceilinged and with mould in the bathroom. Basic things were missing (no hair dryer, only one bedside lamp).
The staff were friendly, but other than that I can't think of a single redeeming feature of this place. We definitely won't be returning.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David S

Travellers are raving about these Hindhead hotels

France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

We could not believe the quality of the room and the service for the budget price we were charged. The room was a large twin bedded room, spotlessly clean with every facility you could wish for. The bathroom was a good size, clean and with plentiful hot water. The staff were friendly and welcoming and the location of the hotel, two minutes from the Devil's Punchbowl cannot be faulted. Although the hotel is on a fairly busy road our room was completely quiet. We cannot recommend this hotel highly enough and will certainly return if in the area.

Room Tip: We had room 103 which was large and quiet. Perhaps the room numbers in the hundreds are better. Do...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

I was here for a couple of nights on business with several other colleagues. Showers in two of my colleagues rooms did not work/have hot water, and this was the same in alternative rooms they were offered. One of the bedside lights in my room did not work and the other kept sparking when I turned it on.

The staff (in particular the owner) were rude and have absolutely no idea about customer service and making the guests feel comfortable. If the man at the top behaves like this then it filters down to the other staff. We experienced their rudeness when we raised the issue about the showers not working, and when we had to knock on the kitchen door to get breakfast service only to be faced with the enraged owner telling me that I was too early for breakfast and to come back later and that he was training a new chef (I was down at 6.29 and breakfast started at 6.30).

Then there was breakfast. I asked for porridge (the simplest thing in the world to make - 3 mins on a stove or microwave) only to be told they don't do porridge, but would I like a fry up instead (err no - I'm a healthy eater). They had no herbal tea (the first morning they managed to find some from staff quarters and the second morning they could only find Earl Grey, which is not herbal). I had to ask for fruit, which they brought with an air of 'I'm doing you a massive favour', as opposed to just having it out as an option on the buffet in the first place.

Overall a really bad experience mainly created by the staffs' unprofessional attitude, in particular the owner, which does them no favours, in particular as they are (as they explained) trying to raise the level of what is currently a run down hotel. Problems occasionally do occur, and we would have been a little more understanding if they staff dealt with the issues in more courteously manner. This hotel was booked for us by others, hence the reason we stayed here. I would not recommend it to other travellers.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank lk_2295
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

This is our third visit to the Hotel and Restaurant, we have nothing but praise for the friendly staff,with James returning. On this occasion we stayed in the newer extension room 101 onwards. The rooms were quiet very clean tidy could not be faulted. Evening Dinner from menu and friends turned up late and had the amazing mezza - plentiful. Breakfast good and wholesome - wide selection. Plenty to see to walk away the full stomachs

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Hindhead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

I recently had my wedding reception here and I cannot thank the staff and especially the General Manager Tamas for the excellent service and hospitality they showed us. Admittedly we had booked this hotel as it is a little cheaper than others in the area and because of this, we were a little concerned about what we would get after all, you get what you pays for! However, I had the best day ever and no less because of their service and support. Everything was laid up for the two meals as we had expected with the decorations and their attention during the meals was just right, the food itself was excellent and the entertainment in the evening, spot on!

The bill in the morning was just as had been quoted, not a penny more and it was worth that every penny. All our guests commented that the rooms were clean, tidy and comfortable.

Thank you Tamas and your staff, you made the day perfect!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Roaming the World with work
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

In time honoured fashion of my other reviews... Direct and to the point (ish on this occasion).

Was here for one night visiting a friend as a solo traveller.

Upon arrival checked in ok but was interested in having to listen to the "terms and conditions" of my stay which were made very clear to me and felt like I was being cautioned.

1, No smoking except in the designated areas outside and certainly no smoking in the rooms. Anyone found in breach of this will be fined and evicted from the hotel.

2, The front doors will be locked at a certain time so please ensure you are back at the hotel before such time.

There were a few others but, you get my drift.

Now whilst of course (with the smoking thing) most hotels operate such a policy however it is the first time it was forced onto me verbally (not exactly welcoming as they had not ascertained if I smoked or not, just went for the riot act).

The room.

Double bed for single occupancy and whilst at first glance it was clean; I did notice bits of old crisps and biscuits under the bed. The bed was initially comfortable but with no mattress cover under the sheet it became very damp and cold overnight so not much sleep. There was a radiator in the room which was kicking out lots of heat but the room was itself damp and made for an unpleasant and restless sleep. No duvet or quilt, just a top sheet and a blanket.

Walls were thin so you could hear other guest snoring and lots of noise from above and the corridors.

My room only had a shower despite booking one with a bath but for one night, I could live with this.

The shower.. I am slim so not an issue but if you are a little larger you may not fit in but plenty of hot water. Was happily having a shower when suddenly the smoke alarm went off which apparently was set off by the steam from the shower. Jumped out of the shower to find the heavy mob at my door asking are you smoking in your room? (may have got lost in translation).

Asked to keep the door to the bathroom shut when using the shower (OK) however, the extract fan in here did not work so quickly became fog bound.

Kind of live with all these things, as regular readers of my reviews will know I have commented on many different places both good and bad however the next bit is a first.....

Each room has an emergency lighting fitting (yes pretty standard) but, this one has a large green indicator light to show that it is working so, slid into (cold bed) turned off the room light and was bathed in a strong green glow that lit up the whole room. It was so bright I could read my book by it and even if you closed you eyes tight shut, such was the brightness I had the feeling the incredible hulk was hovering over my bed (he's green you know).

What with the noise, the dampness of the room and the light show went and got a bottle of wine which helped a little. Stepped outside for a cigarette (did not want to be evicted) and looked up at my room window and could see the green glow beaming rather strongly out of the window and lighting up the car park and noticed other rooms with the similar glow even with the curtains drawn (made me smile or was that cry as by night the front of the hotel looked liked each room had green traffic lights beaming out).

Food/dining.

Had a friend to dinner with me at the hotel and have to say the mixed "Asian starter for two" was very good and we both had a sirloin steak, which was ok, but some of the vegetables were cold but just drowned them in hot sauce. End of the day, for me, the good company I was with, distracted from these issues however, it was a little pricey for what you get. Drinks, as always, were expensive but where isn't now a days?

The ambience of the dining area was more that of a "pub grub" and very stark but I am splitting hairs there.

Breakfast.

Always an area of hot topic for a lot of reviewers so......

Very, minimal on offer. Cold plates, luke warm food and that's it, solid fried egg.

End of the day for me it was more like a big B&B and had I been staying more than one night I would have changed hotel.

On a separate issue but worth noting perhaps.... I commuted to Haslemere train station and caught a taxi to the hotel which is only a couple of miles and by far it was/is the most expensive taxi fare I have ever paid but rather like the British utility companies charging OTT these guys can do the same as public transport is minimal (not on a meter) and should be worth noting there are no nearby shops etc (or cash points) within walking distance just in case you have run out something.

End of the day, if you have to stay here one night then bring some warm clothes to go to bed in and perhaps an eye mask.

Oh, there is free wifi if you need it but once connected, it regularly drops out.

Overall, expensive for the standard you actually get although if it was as it purported to be then it would be worth it although I would not stay again.

Any questions, happy to answer.

Room Tip: Pot luck really
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hindhead
BEST WESTERN Frensham Pond Hotel
Grayshott Spa
Grayshott Spa
#1 of 1 in Grayshott
The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa

Been to The Devils Punchbowl? Share your experiences!