My wife and I booked a room for one night so we could attend a wedding. The first room we were given was appalling. The bath mat was a cut down, frayed, bathsheet and there was serious mould all over the bathroom. We didn't have enough towels for the both of us and had to ask for additional ones. The room didn't appear to have been used for a while and showed signs of dust on sills, the drinks tray and the dado rails. Worse still, if you can get worse than thick mould, were the urine stains around the toilet. Overall not a good start and definitely not worth the money we paid. After complaining, we were moved to a four poster room, which was still not brilliant but an improvement on the previous room. The bed linen had holes in it and it was still dusty but for one night was bearable. The hotel photographs were clearly old as the outside was not as fresh and welcoming as depicted.
Our complaint was met with a certain amount of denial on the basis that most people found it to be a nice hotel. Apparently there are processes in place for dealing with mould but the general response was one of "Not fussed, we're doing alright" We were offered a reduced rate stay, but lets be honest, after this kind of experience - would you ??? The room information was also outdated, for one thing the Wifi code was incorrect !
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The hotel was originally built as a country residence for the Hon. Rollo Russell, Whose father, Lord John Russell was England’s first Liberal Prime Minister. Sometime during the early 1900’s, The house known then as Thorshill was leased to a part time minister of the local congregational church, he and his wife, ran Torshill as a private guesthouse up until 1949. The building has been a hotel ever since. Nowadays set in picturesque and peaceful location, right opposite The Devil’s Punchbowl itself, The hotel is the best place to relax in a truly rural setting. We can meet all private and business needs with 32 spacious bedrooms, The superb Thorshill Restaurant offering excellent cuisine & wine, our traditional pub and a conference and function room, all equipped to the highest standard. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, LateRooms, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Devils Punchbowl reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Devils Punchbowl Hotel Hindhead
- Devils Punchbowl Hindhead
- The Devils Punchbowl Hindhead, Surrey