“Very Poor room and service”

The Devils Punchbowl
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hindhead
Calne, United Kingdom
“Very Poor room and service”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

My wife and I booked a room for one night so we could attend a wedding. The first room we were given was appalling. The bath mat was a cut down, frayed, bathsheet and there was serious mould all over the bathroom. We didn't have enough towels for the both of us and had to ask for additional ones. The room didn't appear to have been used for a while and showed signs of dust on sills, the drinks tray and the dado rails. Worse still, if you can get worse than thick mould, were the urine stains around the toilet. Overall not a good start and definitely not worth the money we paid. After complaining, we were moved to a four poster room, which was still not brilliant but an improvement on the previous room. The bed linen had holes in it and it was still dusty but for one night was bearable. The hotel photographs were clearly old as the outside was not as fresh and welcoming as depicted.

Our complaint was met with a certain amount of denial on the basis that most people found it to be a nice hotel. Apparently there are processes in place for dealing with mould but the general response was one of "Not fussed, we're doing alright" We were offered a reduced rate stay, but lets be honest, after this kind of experience - would you ??? The room information was also outdated, for one thing the Wifi code was incorrect !

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Dave1366

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
middlesex
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We have just stayed at this hotel .We went a wedding and decided to stay there with other members of the family .We chose this hotel as it was reasonably priced and it was only for 1 night. We found the staff to be very pleasant and extremely helpful . The rooms we very nice they were clean and comfortable ,the breakfast was very nice too . The only down side was I wish we could have stayed longer !!! We will diffinately be staying there again in the future

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank compaint
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We use this hotel a lot for our delivery drivers, never had one bad thing to say about this hotel. It is always a first choice for them :) The rates are very cheap paying only £40 a night. I spoke to a lovely man called James this afternoon who managed to make a reservation at such sort notice even though they were almost full. Making a booking is quick and easy and you can even pay over the phone. Over all a consistent out standing performance from the staff and hotel itself.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Samantha J
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

First impressions of the room were good – high ceilings, decent décor, nice big comfy bed, warm – but the bathroom was a bit of a let-down. The floor needed sweeping and the shower cubicle was a bit grubby (although the shower itself was fine and the tray was double-sized). The hot tap on the basin was missing its centre insert. The whole hotel is in need of a good dose of TLC: the stair carpet was shabby and the outside spaces were scruffy. The folders in the room contained details of last year's Christmas menus. Empty glasses were left outside for days on end and staff sometimes smoke in the front entrance porch – a real no-no in my view. We had dinner in the restaurant on the first night, which was fine, although the atmosphere is neither cosy nor romantic. My starter of calves’ liver was very good, my partner’s starter of king prawns was delicious. My main course was a seafood linguine, and although the prawns were good, the chorizo was sparse and I couldn’t detect the crabmeat at all. The spicing was just a bit too bland, with not enough of a chilli-and-garlic kick. My partner’s gammon, eggs and chips was fine, as you’d expect from a pub-grub dish. The beer, incidentally, was very well kept. Breakfast was good; a choice of cereals, yoghourts, different breads for toasting, then full English or any combination thereof – I had scrambled egg on toast which was nicely cooked – as well as fruit juices and unlimited tea and coffee. BE WARNED – breakfast service stops at 09:00 on weekdays (10:00 at weekends), which caught us out on Monday morning. The staff were not excessively smiley, but if you persist and treat them with respect you get a friendly response. All in all, what makes this hotel somewhere I’d return to is its magnificent location, right on the edge of the Devil’s Punchbowl, a wonderful beauty spot and the start of many excellent walks. It’s also good value for money if you remember that you get what you pay for. If you want to eat elsewhere, Grayshott is only a twenty minute walk away, with a great pub (The Fox and Pelican) and a very good Nepalese restaurant (The Gurkha Durbar). It also has an Indian restaurant, which we didn’t try. There is a Wetherspoons and other eating/drinking establishments in Haslemere, which is about three miles away by car, closer on foot. As I said, I would go back for the location alone.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sooski
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I had basically arrived at this hotel very late and a couple of my party had booked the wrong dates for their room. James who was on duty basically went above and beyond to ensure that we were put up somewhere even though the hotel was practically full . On arrival James also called up a local eatery on my behalf and insisted they stay open whilst i rushed over to pick up some late night dinner.
In the morning the breakfast staff were also lovely. Food was served speedily and breakfast was cooked well. (bar one slightly rubbery sausage)

To point out the niggles, the room could have done with a little updating and the bathroom tiles were a little grimey but the bed was comfortable, it was clean and the customer service had me wanting to rush out and buy thank you cards for all the staff. (I didnt. im lazy like that but hopefully this review should suffice!)

Seriously, the whole English customer service industry should come and learn a thing or two about how to take care of customers from the staff over at the (rather oddly named) Devil's Punchbowl!!!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I rang the hotel to confirm my booking the day I was arriving only to realise that I had stupidly booked the wrong date. James at reception went above and beyond to accommodate my group and was absolutely delightful about the whole situation. If James had not been so helpful we would have been sleeping in a van! When we got there he was amazingly helpful in finding us somewhere to order some dinner as it was late at night, and the gentleman on the bar was very helpful in carrying my drinks to my room as I am currently on crutches. Absolutely amazing customer service, thank you!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

Appalling service from staff who behaved surly and consistently negative throughout. Numerous interactions with staff and never a smile or even a thank you at any point... Common courtesy surely ??
Food was disappointing and poorly cooked at carvery lunch ... Wish we had read tripadvisor beforehand and not bothered to even think about going to the poorly staffed "pub" with rooms.

Stayed February 2014
2 Thank HappyTraveller3004
DPBHotel, General Manager at The Devils Punchbowl, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I was quite surprised at the comments which were made in your review about the attitude of the staff and the general experience you had.

Since the owners took over this business over 4 years ago, they have taken the hotel from a point of permanent closure to a place that people like to bring their families and friends to, especially on a Sunday. We pride our selves in knowing that we run one of the busiest Sunday carveries in the area so i was very disappointed to hear that you had such a bad experience when so many others return to us on a regular basis because they love what we do.

One of our strong points is the fact that we try to be as flexible and accommodating as possible to peoples needs. We are only a small business compared to others in the area so customer service is key when it comes to what we provide.
I felt i should write this response as people need to know that if you speak with us when you are here then we will ensure that anything that you feel is not right will be resolved straight away. Admittedly my staff can be put under a lot of pressure on a Sunday and may sometimes be a bit straight faced but as they will all tell you it is so important to me that they focus on you and are always attentive to what you require. Its just sad that you did not express your feelings on the day so i could have dealt with this for you.

As i mentioned before, the hotel was on its last legs 5 years ago and the owners have really turned it round to a descent place for people to come to. Yes, there are areas of the building(internal and external) which need constant maintenance and improvements, but i feel we are heading in the right direction and would hope that if you ever did visit our hotel again and felt in anyway that you were not happy, you would let us know so we could do something about it during your visit. This is so important to us as we are only a small family run hotel trying to remain a place that local people and visitors alike can come to when visiting the area.

Once again, Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Kind regards,

James Cross
The Devils Punchbowl Hotel

Travellers are raving about these Hindhead hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hindhead
The Georgian Hotel
Grayshott Health Spa
#1 of 1 in Grayshott
Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course
The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa

Been to The Devils Punchbowl? Share your experiences!