“THE BEST FUSION FOOD I'VE EVER HAD IN INDIA”

Naturellement Garden Cafe
Ranked #3 of 31 Restaurants in Auroville
Cuisines: Cafe, Mediterranean
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Cash Only, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Tucked away in the Auroville forest, perfectly located next to a boutique hotel, the lovely Afsanah Guest House, Naturellement Garden Cafe has a beautiful and peaceful atmosphere with garden, court yard and roof seating. With a mostly Mediterranean cuisine, there are also dishes from other parts of the world. Swedish Martina who runs the Garden Cafe, and her italian husband, loves to travel and get inspiration. In the restaurant-kitchen, only the very best and carefully selected ingredients are used, organic whenever available, with plenty of fresh produce from Auroville; milk, cheese, bread, eggs, organic fruit and vegetables, herbs and greens directly from our own kitchen garden. Add to that extra virgin olive oil, kalamata olives, quinoa and much more... and everything made in-house, from mascarpone to pasta, grissini and foccacia! The vegetarian restaurant put importance on the health aspects of food. The use of refind oils, (normal cooking oils) has been replaced with coldpressed oils, home-made ghee and butter. With its relaxed atmosphere, a variety of good magazines, free Wi-Fi and a children's area, the Garden Cafe is perfect whether you are on your own, having a working lunch or a family outing. Naturellement range of gourmet products are for sale at the reception
Yercaud
“THE BEST FUSION FOOD I'VE EVER HAD IN INDIA”
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I've heard about this cosy restaurant a lot and decided to check it out on a visit with my friends.

We loved the ambiance the moment we stepped in and so thought we would probably have a soup or small titbit.

We were immediately welcomed warmly by an elderly very pleasant mannered waitress, that we felt at home at first instance. She seated us at a fantastic lovely nook covered with a neatly manicured Passion Fruit vine. She noticed us observing the fruit on the vine and spontaneously plucked a few fruit for us to enjoy. It was extremely different and we were told that it was a vine which grew out of a seed brought in from France.

We asked her to give us her suggestion for the soup. Wow! what a soup , it was a feast to the tongue. We decided that we will have some main course so we ordered for a pasta and that was it - awesome, mouthwatering, delicious don't know more words to explain. We asked her to bring dishes of her suggestion and one by one we ate soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much that we couldn't even move. The finally we decided to get up and leave. Then she asked us slowly "SIR , BUT YOU HAVEN'T HAD DESSERT". Phew! that was it. We were literally filled up-to the brim. So we decided to take a small tour around the place to create some tummy space and sit down for dessert.

We were shown around the vegetable and herb garden. I was totally zapped. Being an expert and authority on plants, made me enjoy every nook and corner of all the exotics grown and almost everything from the finest of seeds imported from world over. The best feature of the garden - ALL PLANTS GROWN 100% ORGANIC. They were so kind enough to gift me a few exotic plant sapling which I have only heard of and never seen.

They touched my taste buds first, then my stomach and then my heart. What an experience. On any dull depressed day very rarely that I go through, I remember about my experience at the cafe, and it just perks me up when I realize there are still very nice people in the world.

Next we were shown the alfresco kitchen. I was totally impressed. Being a chef and also a restaurateur made me admire and appreciate every single activity that was going on in the kitchen. There was a team of neatly capped uniformed women constantly swabbing the floor and cleaning ever nook and corner with organic disinfectant. I just then realised that even a complex microscope wouldn't be able to locate a dirt particle or the tinniest foreign body in the kitchen.

By the time we had accumulated a small space in our tummy, and we sat down for dessert. The waitress gave us desserts to her choice and what a choice and spread did she offer us. Would put any 5 star dessert wonder with surprise. We slurped up all and licked and licked the spoon - a true example of finger-licking good.

We then picked up a whole load of 100% organic jams and pickes when we left. I'm enjoying them every day. Every single product very unique and a clear example of a signature recipe.

My heartfelt humble salutation to the owner Ms.Martina and her amazing team. I would travel 300 kilometers from my place just to have a meal and drive back after the meal.

TIP TO VISITORS: PLEASE SKIP BREAKFAST AND AVOID DINNER THE DAY YOU AT THIS CAFE AS YOU WILL NEED A LOT OF TUMMY SPACE. COME WITH A DRIVER TO DRIVE YOU BACK AS IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO SELF DRIVE BACK AFTER THE WORLD'S YUMMIEST MEAL. MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WHICH I WANT TO SHARE WITH THE WORLD.

Thank you all at the NATURELLEMENT CAFE for the most unforgettable day in my life.

Com.Dr.Vishu Kaliappa
+91 94437 00000

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank TheRegentHillSide

Auroville, India
“Swedish cinnamon rolls - in India!”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

This is simply one of the best establishments in Auroville, Tamil Nadu, India, which says a lot! I find a lot of Swedish goodies, made the authentic way. In a pleasurable garden setting I take delight in knowing that the women make most things, such as the fresh fruit jams and syrups, by hand and with a smile, adding no weird stuff. Also, it is possible to come with the children and relax, as the great play-corner keeps them happy. Needless to say Naturelllement Garden Cafe is always kept clean and proper. Try it out!

• Visited January 2014
Auroville, India
“Best Italian food in Auroville”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Very simply the gnocchi is the best I've had in the South of India. The salads are all exceptionally the good, The desserts are special and the drinks are essentially made in house from natural ingredients. The place is peaceful and charming and has a really good ambience. Auroville has very good restaurants and this is one of the best.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank npk123
Jersey
“Lovely place with great food”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

This is a lovely cafe somewhere in the wilds of Auroville. I went with my husband and we sampled some of the amazing ravioli and desserts on offer. And a delicious lassi! I learned that all the food is organic and made in their spick and span kitchens that are under the command of the lovely Martina. There is a lovely garden in which to eat and I was surprised that it was full for lunch even on a weekday. Clearly a popular place. Love it and can't wait to go back!

• Visited November 2013
Pune, India
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome way to treat ur taste buds & hospitality is a bonus!!”
Reviewed 18 December 2013

The food served in Naturellement is one of the most delicious and tasty I have ever had. The food not only satisfies the taste buds but also gives a beautiful memory to go back with because of the courteous and lovable staff at the cafe. Really thankful for all those who work their for their hard work. In addition to these even the ambiance of this cafe is also very different and unique, just outside the production unit which is also an experience. In short, A MUST VISIT PLACE.

• Visited May 2013