“Went twice for dinner”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Pantay Restaurante

Pantay Restaurante
Price range: US$8 - US$23
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Mktgenie
“Went twice for dinner”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We went for dinner twice here and the first time we loved it. My husband and I both got a shrimp dish and they were amazing (I would have given them a 5 on the first visit). The second time we went we thought it was just ok. Not sure if it was because of how many people were there or just wrong food choices on our part. It's worth trying and enjoying the outside atmosphere.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Mktgenie

“Just the best!”
Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

Ask for the "big Kahuna" lagostinos over broccoli covered in coco rum sauce! The best!
Fresh seafood is their specialty, but they have great steaks. Their flank steak is really good! Their baby back ribs never last long-!

• Visited August 2013
“Dessert was the best thing”
Reviewed 21 July 2013

After reading all the reviews I was excited to eat at Pantay. We were there on a Saturday night and were seated promptly and
Given a menu. I asked about the fresh fish and was told that they had fresh shrimp. I decided to try it and my husband had ribs that had just come out of the oven. Our food arrived quickly but lacked great flavor. My shrimp were large and I had 6 shrimp with a mango sauce, served with coconut rice and a slaw type salad. The shrimp were a little tough and really had no Flavor. My husband said his ribs were tender but not much spice. We had dessert and the lemon pie with a chocolate crust was the best thing I ate. My husband loves flan and he didn't like the version here. I ordered a margarita and it had a weird taste too. The restaurant was very nice and the service was great! We didn't complain about our food and we ate it all just disappointed as the reviews were great. I will go back and I suggest others give it a try.

Visited July 2013
Playa Coronado, Panama
“Good but small portions”
Reviewed 21 May 2013

We had the mahi mahi which was fresh and very good - however, the potion size was really small - maybe they were running out. Not everything on the menu was available, but that' s quite normal for Panama...The apple pie was homemade and also very good. Service is excellent - helpful and friendly. the owner showed us a photo of a mahi-mahi on his phone (of which he was very proud)

• Visited February 2013
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Local Flavor, Fabulous Food”
Reviewed 18 May 2013 via mobile

We found Pantay Resteraunte here on TripAdvisor and other reviews sent us eagerly on the path to their indoor/outdoor dining room. We chose outdoor. We were met in an instant and welcomed by Chef and Owner Johannes, who runs Pantay with his wife, Gaby. We only began to look at the menu when Johannes enticed my husband with fresh Flounder, the day's catch, lightly pan fried with a mango sauce, fresh sliced mango and plantain, prepared in a traditional Panamanian style, Patacones. Looking for a bit more variety on the plate (which was silly, really) I chose Johannes's recommendation of a Seafood Combination prepared with garlic and herbs, accompanied by coconut rice.

As an appetizer Johannes's suggested Fish Fingers, which this evening would be flounder. My husband ordered a Maracuya (passion fruit) Smoothie. I almost exclusively drink water, this evening I did so until I tried the Maracuya Smoothie. Gaby, had just walked up with our appetizer and I couldn't resist. I had to ask for my own Maracuya
heaven. Not too sweet, HEAVEN! I wasn't sure what to expect for a fish finger, but what we got was generous strips of fresh flounder dipped in a batter heavily seasoned with Culantro, a cousin of Cilantro. I absolutely do not like Cilantro, it comes off soapy to me, but I was willing to try Panama's go to herb and I loved it. And even though there was a lot of chopped Culantro in the fish finger batter it was not at all overwhelming and the herb does not come off as soapy on my tongue. The flounder fingers were served with fresh made tarter sauce, prepared by Gabi. Tarter sauce, along with catchup and a few other overtly commercial condiments are NOT my thing. But I gave the fresh made sauce a try and it was citrusy, tart and full of flavor.

Our dinner was beautiful, incredibly aromatic and so full of flavor. My seafood dinner was comprised of chopped fresh octopus, succulent and tender squid and shrimp. The garlic, fresh herbs, wine and other ingredients were beautiful and mellow and all but sang to me on that plate. My husband's flounder was amazing, the mango sauce was generous and not at all overly sweet or cloying. The light fish was not hidden at all behind the mango. It really was a beautiful plate and beautiful flavors.

Of course at this point we knew if we were to have desert anywhere in Playa Coronado, it had to be here. Johannes's makes a wonderful creamy lemon pie. Similar in some ways to a key lime, in texture, but softer, more gentle on the palate. The lemon flavor also gentle and easy, not shockingly tart in the mouth. With a chocolate cookie crust, he then adorned the lemon pie with Chantilly cream and a bit of chocolate sauce. It was divine.

As we will be here in Playa Coronado 5 more nights, at the very least, we will dine here with Johannes's and Gaby one more of those nights. If we plan properly and are lucky, we may be able to get back to Pantay more than one more time. It was as much a pleasure to enjoy the atmosphere and hospitality at Pantay as it was to enjoy our delicious meal. Johannes's and Gaby were, absolutely, preparing this meal just for us. Delicioso!

• Visited May 2013