“A really great choice of Ryokan for a real Japanese traditional experience”
Review of Mikuniya Ryokan

Mikuniya Ryokan
Ranked #3 of 128 Hotels / Ryokan in Toyooka
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Our first experience in a traditional Japanese Ryokan. We were very pleased with our choice. Mikuniya staff are very welcoming they were waiting for us on our arrival. In the entrance you leave to leave your shoes and put on slippers which are laid out on the step. The owners speak really good English and were extremely helpful throughout our stay. The other staff don’t speak a lot of English but never the less still chat away to you in Japanese which is lovely and very friendly. We were taken to our room and asked to relax in low chairs whilst the staff member made green tea for us. The room was a good size although not much space to in the wardrobe and no where really to put cases- we only stayed for a couple of nights so wasn’t too bad but if we had stayed longer it may have driven me mad. There is a room off the main living space which has a sink and there is also a small toilet- there is no bathroom because you use the Onsen private baths in the Ryoken. We booked in for dinner on the first night which was served by the staff in our own room. The food was really well prepared with everything from Sashimi to Crab. Our second night we ate in a steak restaurant a couple of doors down from the Ryoken also owned by the same people- the food here was lovely but not cheap. In the evening futons are laid out – they are single and you are given a very small Buckwheat pillow which if you haven’t used them before may be a little strange- despite what you might think though we still had a good nights sleep. We took the opportunity to try out 2 of the private baths in the ryokan but also had a pass given to us by the staff which gave us access to the other Onsen baths in the town. On arrival you will also be given traditional clothing which you can use during your stay both inside and outside of the Ryokan- although you may feel strange it is worth doing because it is very easy to then get dressed and undressed to use the baths. It is a great experience and although it is expensive it is really worth the money to stay here and enjoy the Japanese food and hospitality. We stayed two nights which really gave us one full day in the town which I felt was probably enough.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 January 2014

This was our first real ryokan in Japan and we liked it very much. At the entrance you have to leave your shoes and put on slippers. The room is gigantic considering the standard size rooms in a Japanese hotel. There is a sitting room were you get some green tea and in the evening futons are laid out, and a living room were diner and breakfast is served. You do not have a shower in your room so you will have to use one or more of the seven onsen in Kinosaki. We also tried the private bath in the ryokan.
We got a daypass for the onsen to use and the right “wardrobe” and wooden slippers to walk outside.
Staff was very friendly and at the reception desk they speak English. The maids that bring you the meals and explain the right way to dress yourself for a visit to the onsen don’t speak a lot of English but that’s part of the charm.
The beds are futons on tatami flooring. This was fine for us but the pillows are very small and filled with something like beans so we didn't sleep very much due to the pillows.
The food is great though it's a bit of a surprise what you're actually eating. We had shabu-shabu in the evening.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 December 2013

It was love at first sight!

Even at Mikuniya's entrance , the essence of Japanese traditional culture was attested :the espouse of simplicity and elegance. The receptionist was exuberant . The high-standard courtesy and cheerful attitude of the entire staff was unabated throughout our 3-day stay; they were every efficient as well. As we settled down and dinner was served, our jaws dropped agape..... crabs prepared in all styles were served! Grilled! Boiled! Raw! To me , it was quite a largesse to have such sumptuous a feast before Christmas. The next few meals are filled with surprises.. good food were presented in various forms, each meal had a different delight!

In retrospect, my sentiment is that i believe ( even though this is my second trip to japan) , Mikuniya is very close to being an epitome of the Japanese Ryokan!

Kudos to Mikuniya!

Room Tip: To me, all the rooms are equally good.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I have nothing but praise for Mikuniya.

Food: I had SO MUCH CRAB I think it would have cost me hundreds in my own country. Crabs of
ALL KINDS were served-- Grilled, boiled, raw, minced, etc etc. The lady attending to me was very attentive and kind even though my japanese was very mediocre. I had dinner in my own room and it took me 1.5 hours to finish everything (i had trouble deciding where to start and i am a slow eater). THUMBS UP!!! There were other small dishes too :)

Service: everyone was very kind and attentive. I want to pay a special shout out to the proprietor of Mikuniya Ryokan. I booked last minute on the morning itself over the phone but he was very accommodating and even went to the station to pick me up (without telling me)!!! What a pleasant surprise. He spoke perfect English and even handled my luggage for me all the way to the ryokan (and he's the owner of the place!!)

I stayed one night and needed to leave early the next day so I couldn't catch their breakfast. The owner (without telling me again) packed me breakfast (a sandwich, coffee, and mineral water) and told me I could have it on the train in case I couldn't catch breakfast on my own. HOW SUPER SWEEEEEEET. I was so touched I was speechless. I felt so blessed and taken care of. Thank you SO MUCH :)

Price: Yes it is more expensive than typical ryokans (I've stayed in a few), priced at about $200. BUT u get free access to all public onsens, a lovely meal, a ginormous room and lovely service. This really really made it all worth it.

YUKATAS: I'm not sure why previous travelers had to rent YUKATAS but I was given mine for free, plus another one for sleeping. They had SO MANY COLOURS and designs!! They even came up to my room to teach me how to wear it=) They picked a red Sakura patterned one for me and I LOVED IT. :) u can choose your own if you like; I was just lazy :)

Overall I would recommend Mikuniya to anyone coming to kinosaki onsen. It's near to the station and they have lovely people here. WISH I COULD STAY LONGER :(

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank thepetitvoyageur
Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

We arrived early, and they held our bags for us until check-in - it wasn't in another room but it was in plain view of the front desk. When we returned, they carried our (very heavy) suitcases up to the second floor and the nakai (a special kind of maid) served us tea (with very delicious sweets) and verified the sizes of yukata we needed. The wifi is now available in the rooms, so we used the internets a bit. Then we went out for food (because the in-room meal was over 5000 yen, which is over our budget), and when we returned, they had laid out the futons for us.
So the service is amazing. However, if you value privacy highly, keep in mind that the nakai might pop back into the room, especially when you have just checked in.
I would write more, but now we're off to our reserved private bath (for free!).

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 1 July 2013

I decided to spend a couple of days in Kinosaki so that I might try a few traditional Japanese experiences - Onsen and Ryokan. The staff were very friendly and very accomodating. I saw brought to my room and immediately explained all of the services available in the ryokan, and served tea immediately. They were helpful when I needed help putting on my yukata for the first time, and though none of the maids or servers seemed to speak English, we got by through my broken Japanese and gestures quite easily. There was always someone on front desk who spoke English, so if I really needed something there was never any trouble. Mikuniya is a very easy walk from the train station, and while the farthest onsen is a ways away, the town is beautiful and it hardly feels like time is passing as you walk down the boulevards. Yes, a stay here can be pricey - especially if you're travelling solo, but it's very worth it. If you can, pay for the beef upgrade with your meals. Tajima beef is out of this world good. Steak will never taste the same again. Don't forget to try the in-house onsen; there's nothing more refreshing than going to bed after a very hot bath!

Room Tip: While I found beds in Japan quite hard, the futons here were the most comfortable things I've ev...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Kari L
Reviewed 13 April 2013

I stayed one night at Mikuniya Ryokan. I had arrived early and check in was not till later. I explained I wanted to try the public bath houses as soon as possible and they were accomodating in providing me with a pass earlier. When I checked in I was told to wait in my room for someone to serve me tea. I waited and nobody came so I had to get someone. It wasn't a great start but from then, I had a very pleasant stay. I loved the Kaiseki in my room and also the japanese breakfast in the morning. It was a feast not only for the mouth but also the eyes. The service was friendly and I used their private onsens twice. I also rented a yukata for fun. They provide one in the room which is handy for going to the different public onsens as its easy to get in and out of. But I found the colours a bit drab and unfeminine. It was located close to the station and the town centre.

Kinosaki onsen was quaint and beautiful with all the sakura. Would recommend coming here!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo